All-Star Parent Expectations Clause?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 18, 2010
Hey all, I'm working on a handbook for my new program. I was doing fine until I got to the "Parent Expectations" page, and now I find that everything I write makes me sound like a huge b***** lol

Anyone have one of these written into their handbook or rules? Care to share? :)

:rolleyes: Be specific in what you say. Don't leave room for interpretation ( it will come back to bite you) and remember that you don't want to make them angry or put them on edge before the season starts so word it respectfully.

The best parent clauses that I've read have been presented as bullet points, were concise and to the point. Example:
-parents will refrain from gossiping at all gym events
-parents will not enter gym without specific invitation
-parents will communicate with coaches only when coaches are not with team members

My feeling is that parents are adults and don't need to be coddled.

Our athlete and parent clauses almost mirror each other. Social Media, gossiping, respect, when to approach coaches, competition behavior, etc.

With the social media outlets today some parents feel like they can speak their mind on them which has lead to a couple being asked to leave our program. This year there is a section in our tryout package as well as in the handout that is given to the parents that addresses this and the consequences if they are violated. I can say it has been well recieved and our coaches have a zero tolerance on that stuff.

Go to the parent's section and read the NACP rules. You might find some useful information there. Just remember that your parents can be one of your best assets if you communicate your expectations well and do it respectfully. Parents can be a valuable resource in a program if you use them the right way. Most of us out here really want to support our kids and programs, not tear them down. No matter what group you're in, there are always a few people who act obnoxious. Please don't be too quick to put all parents in that category. Remember, the athletes and their parents are your consumers. Good luck!

Specific, honest, and no sugar coating it. If a parent takes issue they're probably someone who could have been an issue anyway. I remember when we started in cheer when my daughter was 4 and being surprised that the things that were spelled out would need to be spelled out for anyone. After a few years in the sport I totally get it now...leave nothing open to interpretation!

My suggestion, look at big name programs that post their handbooks online. I'm sure a good number of them have parent clauses and then you can pick and choose what you want in yours and re word to fit your new program!

I would just put things like this:
-NO GOSSIP about any other teams, kids, coaches and staff.
-No profanity or abusive language.
-All cheerleaders and family/friends need to be respectful to other programs and show good sportsmanship at all times. -Never post any negative comments about any athlete, team, or our program on any websites, chat rooms or message boards. If this is a problem, your child could be removed from the program with no refund.
-There will be no arguing or questioning the decision of the coach.

Back