All-Star Paying For Competitions Out Of State? Besides The Obvious.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 10, 2010
I have just been wondering how athletes from different gyms pay for competitions and travel?

I have cheered in Florida for 6 out of 8 yrs so many of the big nationals and worlds was only a school bus, or morning car pool drive away. I am moving back to coach at my original gym and want to get some ideas to help us be able to afford out of state competitions that involve flying and all that. With living so close to Orlando we have not needed to fund raise too much to afford the trips. I have just been wondering how certain teams can afford 3 or 4 out of state competitions?

Besides the obvious fundraisers like car washes and what not, how have you made it work?
have you had to set a few parents to watch over a group or athletes if other parents cant afford to go? had a small amount of competitions to balance out the cost of bigger ones?
Im really just looking for as much information to how to make this a possibility, besides the usual.

With the economy like its been it amazes me how much some gyms still are traveling. Like Cea for instance this year they went to Cheersport, NCA, battle and then UCA...that's just crazy to me! Yes I understand that they have to travel outside of their state to have competition but when exactly does this sport become TOO expensive with traveling? Oh and I'm just using this gym as a example. I am not trying to belittle them. There are a few other gyms that have traveled just as much this year as well

FAME went has attended NJ, Charlotte, Myrtle Beach (this month), Atlanta and I think one more. That's just the beach teams. As for the cost, it's out of pocket. In the past they have tried to stretch them out so they aren't back to back. However, this year they seem to be right on top of each other. It's a little inconvenient for finances but we make it work. We know it's coming up so we watch our spending around those times. There are a few families that send their children with other trusted families. I took a friend of mine's daughter to NJ this past weekend. We had fun and it didn't cost us an arm and a leg. You really have to budget yourself when it comes to the out of state. comps Do you really need that competition hoody? Not really. You'll forget all about it in a month. (My daughter does still wear her cheersport sweatshirt tho) How about that generic "cheer" blanket that you can get online for half if not a quarter of the price? Don't need that either...There ya go! There's dinner for the evening. It's all in how you manage your funds.

Also, not ALL the teams compete at all the out of state competitions. Only 3 or 4 teams went to Charlotte and there were a lot that didn't go to Atlanta. It all evens out tho in the end.

I honestly dont know how some teams do it...however the one that amazes me the most is Cheerforce: they bring teams down for UCA and Worlds! I feel like coming to an orlando comp is so expensive with flying and stuff I cant imagine what they pay all together for the year

CEA as a program was represented by a different assortment of teams at each event you listed above.

CEA as a program was represented by a different assortment of teams at each event you listed above.
Very true and each team that went looked great! I Know a parent that had one or both of her daughters on each one of the teams. But hey if you can afford it and make it work, that's great!

FAME went has attended NJ, Charlotte, Myrtle Beach (this month), Atlanta and I think one more. That's just the beach teams. As for the cost, it's out of pocket. In the past they have tried to stretch them out so they aren't back to back. However, this year they seem to be right on top of each other. It's a little inconvenient for finances but we make it work. We know it's coming up so we watch our spending around those times. There are a few families that send their children with other trusted families. I took a friend of mine's daughter to NJ this past weekend. We had fun and it didn't cost us an arm and a leg. You really have to budget yourself when it comes to the out of state. comps Do you really need that competition hoody? Not really. You'll forget all about it in a month. (My daughter does still wear her cheersport sweatshirt tho) How about that generic "cheer" blanket that you can get online for half if not a quarter of the price? Don't need that either...There ya go! There's dinner for the evening. It's all in how you manage your funds.

Also, not ALL the teams compete at all the out of state competitions. Only 3 or 4 teams went to Charlotte and there were a lot that didn't go to Atlanta. It all evens out tho in the end.

I think there was a Fame team at one of the competitions in New England. That's a bit of a hike too!

our gym has a booster club we do bucket drops, candy sales, flower sales etc. and once your gym bill is paid you can use that booster money for travel expenses or anything associated with cheer as long as you keep the receipt and hand it in for tax purposes its really such a great thing i know families that have fundraised so much that they didnt have to pay a dime for their season with the economy now its such a great idea and really hope that more gyms are able to do something like this

star athletics senior red attends most (basically all) of their competitions out of state! its a big commitment but its soo much fun! we have a few one day comps, 3 in philli and 1 or 2 in south jersey (they are considered local competitions tough)
Indy (super nationals) in January
Providence, RI (Athletics Championships) in January
Palm Springs, CA (spirit sports) in February
Dallas (NCA) in February
Maryland (battle at the capitol) in March
Myrtle Beach (spirit sports) in March
Baltimore (return to atlantis) in April

all of the competitions are on us though... the gym offers fundraising in the beginning of the season if you choose to take part in it. (selling cookie dough or wrapping papers for the holidys, etc.)

Thanks guys, I know ill try to get as much fundraising as possible but are there any other ideas to help out the kids who struggle to afford it even after fundraising?
I guess the big thing i am trying to figure out is how to help the cheerleaders out who really want to do it all, but don't have the full support of their parents to make it all work?
I know my mother would do all the fundraising for me when i cheered for high school but idk how to help the other kids who have both parents who work two jobs and cant drive the kid to the fundraising or take the extra time to help.

have them try to get business sponsors! there are people at the gym that don't pay for anything at the gym! The business money can go to pay their tuition or travel fees and practice wear, then the parents could save what they would have spent on tuition for the competitions

All of our away comps are on us.... Quite a few parents fundraise by working events at arenas which can be very profitable and participating in fundraisers run by the twisters booster club..... I guess we are a bit blessed in that some of the Nationals are considered "local" for us i.e American Masters, Battle at the Capitol, Return to Atlantis etc, so most parents can choose whether or not to stay closer to the venue or stay at home and drive each day....

This season we have traveled from the Green Bay, WI area to Indianapolis (twice), Dallas, and will travel to Orlando for Worlds. The majority of our "local" competitions are in the Chicago metro area (3 - 4 hour drive). Some parents are members of the gym booster club and fund raise by working Packer games and events at Lambeau Field. Many just plan the travel expense as part of the family budget. There of course are also families who choose to travel/room together when possible to save money.

Back