Music Picking Out Every Song For Music -_-

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 23, 2011
Ok not to sound rude because I do understand that not every gym can afford JR,Kyle,or Chat music but the ones who can...why do some insist on choosing every song for their teams mixes...I feel like if your using a particular music mixer, you should trust their judgment and let their creative abilities come out in your mix...I feel like this is what they do for a living thus, they cant be too bad at it...of course picking out your dance song and maybe your pyramid song is common but picking out every song...I feel like your hindering opportunities just my opinion of course

As a music producer I love when teams give me song suggestions. Sometimes I find a song that may be popular on the east coast is not on the west coast or the flow or feel I get from their 8 count sheets is not the same flow or feel that they were hoping for. Bottom line is that I want to make music that the client wants and that is what keeps them coming back year after year.

i totally agree with @nichos it's very helpful to see what the team had in mind already, and work with it. It doesn't always work, occasionally we'll talk to our clients about using a different song for a specific section because one they picked maybe isn't flowing as well, and because this is what we do full time and have an ear for music generally we are able to find another song that still represents the team but flows better. All in all it is very helpful having that song list, cuz in the end we want the customer to be happy and knowing that the majority of our clients get their song lists by asking their kids means that the more that we're able to mix what they originally asked for, the happier the kids will be! That's the thought anyway lol

@SlapFire how do you feel?

I've always wanted to know what music people thought about this! Seems like some like it and some don't. I can see requesting a couple of songs a routine, or wanting a theme. But if it's the whole mix that seems excessive. Like it's one thing to say they really like Hannah Montana or I want X song for the dance, but the whole thing is a little, um, back seat mixing. Would you ever tell a customer that you couldn't use a song for whatever reason? (didn't mix well, weird genre...)

I agree there is a balance to shoot for when picking songs...but for a whole routine it is kinda crazy (unless you're reallllllly good at picking songs ;)) haha I can say from experience that one of my old coaches asked me for song options for a mix one year..so I gave her plenty of good songs for cheer music! (assuming that she'd have some input and give the mixer some leeway) She ended up using ALL of those songs I suggested..and at first I was excited to hear them all..but then as I kept listening to it I realized that it wasn't that good of a mix :( So I guess it depends.. you have to play it by ear! It is definitely good to be able to take suggestions and give customers what they ask for..it can also be a little lesson to people that maybe they should let the professionals do their job haha :D

I agree...but at the same time; I don't really want my music mixer to use a song that we're going to HATE by the end of the season (which is usually top 100). I prefer the music mixer to be a creative, out of the box thinker that is actually two steps ahead of the radio singles. I can't stand to hear a Lady Gaga, Madonna, or B. Spears song in my mix...

I want something cutting edge. Bring me Swedish House Mafia, Alex Gaudino, and some fresh sounds - you can throw in the occasional top 100 or classics (depending on theme)...but I don't want my music to sound like everyone elses, so I would be the one to give an entire playlist and see if they could make it work. :oops:

SlapFire's Music Selection Policy: SlapFire requires you to choose at least 10 songs with every 2:30 exclusive custom mix. We would like suggestions on the sections where you would like to you use each song. ie: Lady Gaga - Edge of Glory - Pyramid. SlapFire reserves the right to use all songs, in the way we feel ,will fit the best into the routine.

I've always asked for a songlist, but that doesn't mean I would use all of the songs.

What a song list from you, means for SlapFire:

1. You care about how your music is mixed
2. You care if the music motivates your kids
3. You've spent time thinking about your routine
4. It gives us an idea of the vibe of the routine
5. Gives us direction, so we can expand on your list.
6. Allows us to get creative with finding songs that noone has ever used

Songlist really play a great importance for SlapFire and we urge all coaches to get involved in picking music cause ultimately it motivates the kids. Music is the easiest way to reach and influence people, so we need to spend time thinking about how we influence people, especially kids.

SlapFire/143/CrimsonMuzik..... Growing

I love a good song list : ) as long as they don't all have to be used. Some songs don't work, and some songs I just can't listen to anymore and I want to arrange a funeral for lol... Example A -Rihanna - Only girl in the World....if everybody was "the only girl in the world" we'd have a problem wouldnt we hehe ; ) I also get inspired with other songs from a song list, sometimes one song makes me think of an even better one. So all in all I say yes to the dress...I mean, song list lol

Back