All-Star Plans For Next Season

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Has anyone else's gyms started opening? I'm in Florida and our Governor has tightened his stance on what is and isn't being opened in the phases.

Starting Monday we enter phase one with restaurants and stores opening at 25 percent capacity. No bars, gyms and hair/beauty service salons may be open. Nationally, gyms can open in phase one but Desantis has (FINALLY) started to lead and make some decisions of his own.

My question is how many of y'all consider a cheer gym to fall under the "gym" category?? Because I sure don't. But our gym owner is convinced she is opening once gyms can open. She's also convinced we can still open even in phase one because "chances are we won't get caught" ... This seems incredibly naive and shows childish behavior. We have no plan on how to even open safely - i.e. face masks for kids/coaches, washing hand breaks every x amount of minutes, how to enter and exit, what happens to the parent viewing area...

Just thinking logically, how is it possible to stunt (or really even run a routine) 6 ft apart with masks on? How can the gym ensure all mats and equipment are clean? Think about how many hands touch the floor and Velcro strips during tumbling then touch someone else's foot or ankle or body during stunting and then touching your own body for any choreo?

Besides being completely appalled at my gym's behavior, I am genuinely curious how other gyms are going about the reopening process?
I think this is really risky and opening oneself up for a lot of liability.

For my HS program we really tried to plan this season out from top to bottom:
We did purchase campwear (but we wear it for our cheer PE classes/practices all year long. (We are strict on dress code) We kept one of our outfits from last year to alleviate cost. We purchase 4 Varsity brand outfits total, one of these outfits is “sponsored” or gifted to the kids by boosters/staff. We kept the same uniforms from last year but changed sideline short sleeve shells as we are transitioning from a mascot change.
Next year we fully intend to keep EVERY single uniform item the same...including all campwear except for 1 new look that is typically our nationals look that gets carried over to the next year -however encourage everyone to buy replacement items that have worn out. We also have a “buy back” program with seniors leaving wishing to sell uniforms to new squad members as well as a “loaner/renter uniform program”
Pending how the season goes we are hoping sports schedules remain relatively the same but should seasons be cut or considerably pushed back and shortened ... we have decided that should athletes not get their “money worth” out of what we deem 60% of a season they will automatically be given a bid to make next years SAME squads if they are in “good standing” with the team. Effectively cutting them a “break”.
Should they choose to go out for a NEW team or want to attempt to make a higher level team they will still need to audition to demonstrate they possess the adequate skills to be on that team however will be guaranteed a DEFAULT alternate position should they be a senior.
For Seniors we are offering a “buy back” guarantee on uniform items (Not practice) ... again, if the season is deemed to be cut at what we deem 60%
We have contingent calendars for every month starting June/July (regardless of the reality of open probability) just for preparedness sake. (We want to be ready when they say GO, you can now gather/practice)
We have a comp schedule that we intend to keep exactly as we have had in previous years but have opted out of all overnight travel with the exception of nationals and added back USA Nationals this year should State to State travel not be in the cards.
Camp has been switched to home camp and this year our Jr varsity program is changing to a 2 day format instead of 4 . Our Varsity program will be having a 4 day format.- we have pushed back everything to August. (As it seems to be the most realistic/safe time for my state as to when restrictions would allow for this type of activity)
We went with much smaller teams, less teams (eliminated our FROSH squads) and pulled back on starting Our stunt the sport program until Spring 2022.
our Goals: Manage, Mitigate, Communicate ... Provide and Guide-
We have weekly zoom “bonding” meetings with twice a week 20min turned in work outs and an additional 6 min stretch assignment once a week.
We keep them short, no more than 45 min of get to know you stuff and challenges...
Kids seem engaged and parents seem SO FAR to feel this is fair...
Doing what we can with what we can -
Would love to hear what everyone else is doing as I’m always looking for new ideas to expand on and modify what I’m doing...

Honestly I think my biggest argument is that traditional gyms are easily able to maintain social distance. You can be an independent gym goer using only one piece of equipment at a time. Most, if not all, gym members are adults or young adults who actively understand the situation we're in and see the gym's being open as a privilege. This (I hope...) leads to adults being respectful, keeping to themselves and getting a solid workout before cleaning up and heading home again.

I also think "normal" gyms are significantly easier to clean and have a much easier time developing a plan of reopening/cleaning.

In cheer gyms, you're dealing with a lot of younger children who are beyond ready to have fun, see & hug their friends again and maybe don't understand the full scope of what we've been experiencing. I coach tinys and there's absolutely no way I'd be able to go a whole practice without my kiddos touching eachother, touching me, touching equipment (Love em but they're not the cleanest lol)

My belief lies that cheer gyms are a youth sport and are more in line with day care facilities, day camps, schools, scholastic sports... ect. instead of an adult-membership gym.

I'd love to hear your thoughts! I'm more than ready to get back in the gym. Both gyms, really. lol.

Edited because Friday quarantine brain makes me not able to spell.

First off, just fully re-opening and having normal practices and stunting is a long time away. For discussion purposes, I am talking about re-opening, but maintaining distancing and utilizing sanitation protocols. That means no stunting, no spotting, cleaning between sessions, etc. This means operating well below listed capacity, limiting skills and interaction, etc. This means coaches and staff are monitoring activity to make sure rules are being followed.

I think there is a case for being allowed to open in the above manner before everything returns to "normal". Whether that is next week, a few weeks, or a few months away is certainly debatable and would vary depending on the area. If you don't trust your gym's plan - or their willingness/ability to follow that plan, then I would encourage you not to go.

Last edited:
First off, just fully re-opening and having normal practices and stunting is a long time away. For discussion purposes, I am talking about re-opening, but maintaining distancing and utilizing sanitation protocols. That means no stunting, no spotting, cleaning between sessions, etc. This means operating well below listed capacity, limiting skills and interaction, etc. This means coaches and staff are monitoring activity to make sure rules are being followed.

I think there is a case for being allowed to open in the above manner before everything returns to "normal". Whether that is next week, a few weeks, or a few months away is certainly debatable and would vary depending on the area. If you don't trust your gym's plan - or their willingness/ability to follow that plan, then I would encourage you not to go.
As parent I think this is a good compromise and think I would feel comfortable sending my child. I want my daughter to be able to go back in the gym just to add some normalcy to her life (even if it’s a new normal). I know she’s dying to go back. I don’t want to anything that might risk her health though. It’s a difficult balance for everyone.

If feasible both time wise and within guidelines I would like gyms to do some sort of event with existing teams. Saying goodbye over zoom isn’t the same. I know my daughter misses her team quite a bit, and we know for a fact that she will not be on the same team or with any of her current teammates next season.

I think this is really risky and opening oneself up for a lot of liability.

For my HS program we really tried to plan this season out from top to bottom:
We did purchase campwear (but we wear it for our cheer PE classes/practices all year long. (We are strict on dress code) We kept one of our outfits from last year to alleviate cost. We purchase 4 Varsity brand outfits total, one of these outfits is “sponsored” or gifted to the kids by boosters/staff. We kept the same uniforms from last year but changed sideline short sleeve shells as we are transitioning from a mascot change.
Next year we fully intend to keep EVERY single uniform item the same...including all campwear except for 1 new look that is typically our nationals look that gets carried over to the next year -however encourage everyone to buy replacement items that have worn out. We also have a “buy back” program with seniors leaving wishing to sell uniforms to new squad members as well as a “loaner/renter uniform program”
Pending how the season goes we are hoping sports schedules remain relatively the same but should seasons be cut or considerably pushed back and shortened ... we have decided that should athletes not get their “money worth” out of what we deem 60% of a season they will automatically be given a bid to make next years SAME squads if they are in “good standing” with the team. Effectively cutting them a “break”.
Should they choose to go out for a NEW team or want to attempt to make a higher level team they will still need to audition to demonstrate they possess the adequate skills to be on that team however will be guaranteed a DEFAULT alternate position should they be a senior.
For Seniors we are offering a “buy back” guarantee on uniform items (Not practice) ... again, if the season is deemed to be cut at what we deem 60%
We have contingent calendars for every month starting June/July (regardless of the reality of open probability) just for preparedness sake. (We want to be ready when they say GO, you can now gather/practice)
We have a comp schedule that we intend to keep exactly as we have had in previous years but have opted out of all overnight travel with the exception of nationals and added back USA Nationals this year should State to State travel not be in the cards.
Camp has been switched to home camp and this year our Jr varsity program is changing to a 2 day format instead of 4 . Our Varsity program will be having a 4 day format.- we have pushed back everything to August. (As it seems to be the most realistic/safe time for my state as to when restrictions would allow for this type of activity)
We went with much smaller teams, less teams (eliminated our FROSH squads) and pulled back on starting Our stunt the sport program until Spring 2022.
our Goals: Manage, Mitigate, Communicate ... Provide and Guide-
We have weekly zoom “bonding” meetings with twice a week 20min turned in work outs and an additional 6 min stretch assignment once a week.
We keep them short, no more than 45 min of get to know you stuff and challenges...
Kids seem engaged and parents seem SO FAR to feel this is fair...
Doing what we can with what we can -
Would love to hear what everyone else is doing as I’m always looking for new ideas to expand on and modify what I’m doing...
This sounds more reasonable. Our camp wear is one and done. Including proposed lulu items. And the lulu stuff isn’t really something most of them would wear again, that’s what’s frustrating. The cost I quoted was buying only
1 uniform and does not include practicewear which doesn’t change from year to year thankfully.

I feel regular gyms are different from cheer gyms due to the fact in a normal practice bodies are touching, faces are very close to each other and multiple hands are on multiple body parts.....

I was just discussing this with my daughter.... gyms can do small group tumbling, conditioning, work out and strength training for June/July and then maybe into stunt stuff in August? ....very different summer training as usual....who really knows the “right” way....

I was just discussing this with my daughter.... gyms can do small group tumbling, conditioning, work out and strength training for June/July and then maybe into stunt stuff in August? ....very different summer training as usual....who really knows the “right” way....
Gym has said that when we go back(no date, just whenever that is), athletes who “commit” to coming back next season will get priority and will be able to attend classes, etc. while we are easing back in. They are also offering zoom classes soon by tumbling level soon. “Commiting” is just e-mail I believe that you are coming back(pain free and $$ free).
They have been pretty good about all this, but it is hard with all the unknowns. Here, schools were announced to be done for 2019-2020 school year, so I am not optimistic for anytime soon. We will just all have to do our best!

Has anyone else's gyms started opening? I'm in Florida and our Governor has tightened his stance on what is and isn't being opened in the phases.

Starting Monday we enter phase one with restaurants and stores opening at 25 percent capacity. No bars, gyms and hair/beauty service salons may be open. Nationally, gyms can open in phase one but Desantis has (FINALLY) started to lead and make some decisions of his own.

My question is how many of y'all consider a cheer gym to fall under the "gym" category?? Because I sure don't. But our gym owner is convinced she is opening once gyms can open. She's also convinced we can still open even in phase one because "chances are we won't get caught" ... This seems incredibly naive and shows childish behavior. We have no plan on how to even open safely - i.e. face masks for kids/coaches, washing hand breaks every x amount of minutes, how to enter and exit, what happens to the parent viewing area...

Just thinking logically, how is it possible to stunt (or really even run a routine) 6 ft apart with masks on? How can the gym ensure all mats and equipment are clean? Think about how many hands touch the floor and Velcro strips during tumbling then touch someone else's foot or ankle or body during stunting and then touching your own body for any choreo?

Besides being completely appalled at my gym's behavior, I am genuinely curious how other gyms are going about the reopening process?
We are in Kansas and from what I can tell we possibly fall under phase 2 as organized sports. But it's no more than 30 individuals allowed and still 6 feet distance. My daughter's last Zoom meeting with her coach/gym owner was before the governor had the plan but the girls were told our gym will not be the guinea pig and be the first to open. She asked the girls if they had masks and told them they will be required to wear them for quite some time. She also mentioned to the next team temperature checks, can bring in your shoes/water and that's about it. We have a virtual new season meeting on Monday so I'm interested to hear what else.

So far our gym has tuition finalized but No start date for payments. We typically start Paying In June... we are reusing uniforms, warmups, bows, and practice wear from this year and may get 1 new outfit - or replacements of items you individual may need. Try out details are Tbd as is return to the gym. The girls are still doing daily zoom classes. And backyard tumblers are getting lectured on form- lol!

Several gyms in GA are starting to reopen but with strict rules. Tumbling only, kids kept apart, no parents, staff wear masks, no spotting.

No idea when more normal cheer activities are safe to resume.

I saw that Top Gun Orlando will have live tryouts but kids will have individual appt times, they can't congregate, and they have to leave the gym immediately after their scheduled time. They also have to bring water, no fountain use.

Back