Point Flyer, Switch Up Advice

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 25, 2013
Hi, I am on a junior 2 team and I am currently the point flyer. Before we received our choreography my coaches always gave me compliments and used me as a good example for my teammates. But lately I've been having a lot of trouble with a switch up to heel-stretch, it never seems to work out and I'm pretty sure it's my fault, without the switch up I would be able to hit the stunt perfectly. My coach said that if it keeps being wobbly that he's moving my group from point and I really, really don't want that to happen. Does anyone have any advice?

When we were learning switch ups we had to tell my flyer to be gentle and relax. It sounds like the opposite of what you should do but it's true. She was like stomping on me instead of just replacing her foot. So make sure you're letting the bases do their job and not trying to force if because you're stressed about it so you're stomping them!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

When we were learning switch ups we had to tell my flyer to be gentle and relax. It sounds like the opposite of what you should do but it's true. She was like stomping on me instead of just replacing her foot. So make sure you're letting the bases do their job and not trying to force if because you're stressed about it so you're stomping them!

Okay thank you I'll try that!

I remember when my daughters coach told her flyers try to be too quick to switch and that doesn't give the bases time to find your feet. Slow and steady does it.

Have you perfected a switch up to a lib first? Try that. Perfect that. Make sure you're not tossing your hip out to the side when you pull your stretch.

Remember to lock out on your first leg (The leg you're on before the stunt goes up) before you switch and land. If you don't extend that leg, the stunt will pretty much topple before you even land.

Hi, I am on a junior 2 team and I am currently the point flyer. Before we received our choreography my coaches always gave me compliments and used me as a good example for my teammates. But lately I've been having a lot of trouble with a switch up to heel-stretch, it never seems to work out and I'm pretty sure it's my fault, without the switch up I would be able to hit the stunt perfectly. My coach said that if it keeps being wobbly that he's moving my group from point and I really, really don't want that to happen. Does anyone have any advice?

When you're dipping to go up to the switch up, push hard off your back foot(the one that's not being held by the bases). This will help you get popped a little higher so you have time to stabilize yourself. I'm pretty sure in level 2 you can only go to a prep in your switch up, correct me if I'm wrong though. I'm point flyer for my level 4 team so we go to extension, but I believe pushing off the back foot helps in either stunt. It also helps the bases throw your foot. Also, when you kick up to that heel stretch right after you switch, lock your knee out right away and don't let your butt drop, pull up as much as possible. Last, don't switch too soon, make sure you hit a full lib before you go for the switch to the heel stretch. Hope I helped, good luck!

When you're dipping to go up to the switch up, push hard off your back foot(the one that's not being held by the bases). This will help you get popped a little higher so you have time to stabilize yourself. I'm pretty sure in level 2 you can only go to a prep in your switch up, correct me if I'm wrong though. I'm point flyer for my level 4 team so we go to extension, but I believe pushing off the back foot helps in either stunt. It also helps the bases throw your foot. Also, when you kick up to that heel stretch right after you switch, lock your knee out right away and don't let your butt drop, pull up as much as possible. Last, don't switch too soon, make sure you hit a full lib before you go for the switch to the heel stretch. Hope I helped, good luck!

Remember to lock out on your first leg (The leg you're on before the stunt goes up) before you switch and land. If you don't extend that leg, the stunt will pretty much topple before you even land.
Have you perfected a switch up to a lib first? Try that. Perfect that. Make sure you're not tossing your hip out to the side when you pull your stretch.
I remember when my daughters coach told her flyers try to be too quick to switch and that doesn't give the bases time to find your feet. Slow and steady does it.
One thing is you can pull up till your at the top switch lock out your leg and pull up even more when there catching your foot

Thanks!

If your gym has Open Gym, I would suggest getting your full stunt group together and going and asking the supervising coach if he/she could watch and provide more in depth advice. Good luck!

Back