High School Poms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

What poms does your squad use?

• Solid color poms (one of each color)

Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Solid color poms (both the same color)

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • Two-tone poms

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters
Jun 13, 2016
I wanted to see what a general consensus was on poms! Growing up we had two-tone poms (Navy & Orange).

The school I am coaching at now currently uses one maroon and one white. We are getting new uniforms and so I was debating if we wanted new poms as well. Thoughts we are having is, what looks sharper, what is going to score better (cheer sections & crowd leading), and what is considered "in" right now for sideline & comp.

Thanks for your input!

I never realized I even had a preference until now lol, but I prefer the solid one color poms for HS. I only like the two solid color for the colleges look or for HS if one pom is solid white. Not a huge fan of two toned for anybody lol. Nothing looks better than a fresh pair of fluffy white poms!

I wanted to see what a general consensus was on poms! Growing up we had two-tone poms (Navy & Orange).

The school I am coaching at now currently uses one maroon and one white. We are getting new uniforms and so I was debating if we wanted new poms as well. Thoughts we are having is, what looks sharper, what is going to score better (cheer sections & crowd leading), and what is considered "in" right now for sideline & comp.

Thanks for your input!
My daughter uses one of each color. Solid. That's high school, in middle school she had polka dot poms- which did little for their already shady motions.

We had blue/white two toned poms when I was in junior high (8th/9th grade) and then in high school we had two toned blue/silver pins ( I believe JV had the same ones as us). Now they use one solid blue and one solid white for competitions for the nonmusic/crowd leading/Cheer portion but I think they still use the others for games.

In college we had one metallic navy and one metallic red Pom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The school I'm coaching at had zebra and metallic gold mixed poms last year..this year I decided to change everything and get gold metallic with the "fire"(clear iridescent) mix. I love them but I kind of wish I would've done one gold and one black for them.

If you are competing at UCA competitions, solid colors poms, 1 of each color, will score better for crowd leading. The general rule is if you say a color, you should be holding it.
This. And not that you need to do what the big colleges are doing, but I think most use solid colors.

For games, we use 2 of one color, Gold. It grew on me, at first I hated it, but now its just part of the game day look.

For competition, we have separate poms based on the look each year. For example, we need blue, gold and white, so that is what we use!

For sideline our Freshman and JV have two tone green/white poms, Varsity has the same but metallic. Our UIL comp squad uses one green and one white because of what others have said, better for crowd leading.

I'm no judging expert, but as a athlete (not hs though) and spectator I prefer to see solid poms. One of each color is good if you have athletes with nice formations and motions. If you are working with less experienced athletes though, solid color poms in the same color looks good and keeps everything nice and simple. Also, they don't have to worry which color pom is in which hand.

Thanks everyone! I think I am going to go with one maroon and one white, if the base of our uniform is black. If we go with a maroon uniform again I will probably just do both white.

If you are competing at UCA competitions, solid colors poms, 1 of each color, will score better for crowd leading. The general rule is if you say a color, you should be holding it.
And yet this unwritten rule is broken with surprising frequency. I'll never understand why.

Latest posts

Back