OT Poolside Reads

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen was delightful! I'm trying to reread some of her books, and saw that this was her new one. Lovely sweet and short read.

Modern Romance by Aziz Ansari!!! It just came out a few weeks ago and is fantastic! He worked with a sociologist to look into the way that relationships form in today's society, why things work or don't work for guys/girls, online dating, Tinder, etc. Basically it's a true research book presenting really interesting information backed up by facts, but written in a comedic way. I'm single with no desire to date right now and I absolutely loved it. The only downside is that it's brand new and only available in hardback.
Put in a request for this at the library like a month ago! Hopefully my turn comes up soon.

Put in a request for this at the library like a month ago! Hopefully my turn comes up soon.
You won't be disappointed. I started it on audiobook this week on my commute to work. I've found myself laughing out loud and nodding along in agreement with so much of what he says. Plus I'm picturing Tom Haverford reading it to me, which just makes it even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kite Runner is an amazing read! I highly recommend it. It has become one of my favorite books and I read a lot of books

I loved Stiff! I read it to mentally prepare myself for a year in the cadaver lab, but I think it's a book everyone should read in their lifetime. and I will be getting cremated, in case you were wondering. you'll understand why after you read it.

I wanted to let you know that I finished Stiff and it was awesome! I totally understand why you're choosing cremation now. Now knowing what I know, it makes me not want to donate my body to science. Or donate my body to anything. Unless I was assured that I would be plasticized for an exhibit or as a learning tool. Except I would like my body mostly kept together. My dad brought my brother and I to one of those plasticized body exhibits once in Rochester and it was the tightest ish. I loved it. But really, I don't want to be disassembled.

Fun fact: they mentioned the company I work for in the book when they were talking about plasticizing because they improved the process of it. I was so excited and I shared it with my coworkers who didn't really appreciate this new found knowledge as much as I did.

Also "mellified man" is the grossest thing I've ever heard. By far. Even if it's not true.

So Mindy's book has gotten me on the train of comedy books for the summer. I like them cause they're a light read that I can pick up and down as frequently as I'd like, which is perfect for summer. I'm about finished a book called "Nice Is Just A Place In France". Now, I do need to put a disclaimer that this book IS NOT FOR EVERYONE. It's actually pretty inappropriate, but even more so hilarious. I'd recommend this book for the 20-something crowd.

I wanted to let you know that I finished Stiff and it was awesome! I totally understand why you're choosing cremation now. Now knowing what I know, it makes me not want to donate my body to science. Or donate my body to anything. Unless I was assured that I would be plasticized for an exhibit or as a learning tool. Except I would like my body mostly kept together. My dad brought my brother and I to one of those plasticized body exhibits once in Rochester and it was the tightest ish. I loved it. But really, I don't want to be disassembled.

Fun fact: they mentioned the company I work for in the book when they were talking about plasticizing because they improved the process of it. I was so excited and I shared it with my coworkers who didn't really appreciate this new found knowledge as much as I did.

Also "mellified man" is the grossest thing I've ever heard. By far. Even if it's not true.

I've spent a year in the cadaver lab. I would never, ever donate to science. ever. grateful for the people who did so I got the experience I did... but nope.

I just finished Sycamore Row by John Grisham. It's like a squeal to A Time To Kill. It was very good--plus I'm in love with Jake Brigance after seeing the movie version of A Time To Kill in high school. Young Matthew McConaughey *insert heart eyes emoji*

I bought Diary of an Oxygen Thief a while ago on amazon(it's still not here yet) has anybody read this before?

I bought Diary of an Oxygen Thief a while ago on amazon(it's still not here yet) has anybody read this before?
I just finished it a few weeks ago. I bought it on iBooks to read on a long car ride. It was one of the more interesting books I've read this summer. After I finished it (which I did that day because it's a very short read), I was just stunned. It's always been hard for me to fathom how dark the human psyche can be. How people can emotionally destroy others and feel no remorse. And the writer really bluntly showed you that they could and they did. I don't know, for me it was one of those that you think about more after you read it than while you are. And you don't know whether to hate the writer or pity him and you end up doing both. (Well, I did anyway.) This all might seem like I didn't like it; it just got me in my feelings more than most books I've read. (Which is good, it means it has substance)
There's a sequel that I'd like to read soon but I'm not sure I'm emotionally prepared for it at the moment! Let me know what you think about it after you finish!

Back