Pop Warner Coaching

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 17, 2011
I have coached my city's Pop Warner (used to be AYC but thats besides the point) team for the last three years, this year, this woman who was another coach in the program, told me to not come back to coach. She claimed that I had complaints lodged against me, when there were none. This is all VOLUNTEER coaching, meaning EVERYONE in the program donated their time out of the goodness of their hearts. Do you think she has the right to tell me that I cant come back when I technically did nothing wrong, and I wouldn't even be coaching under her? Lets hear your thoughts.

Is this woman the director of the PopWarner program? If she is, then yes she can ask you not to return. If she's not the director, just ignore her request and be as polite as possible to her.

I wouldnt leave on account of her word, but I would talk to the cheer coordinator or athletic director ( i have coached rec through PAL in Detroit and that is our organizational structure ) to see if there is any truth to the allegations (I would want to know if there really were any complaints against me) and I would strongly consider reported the other coach as well...

Is this woman the director of the PopWarner program? If she is, then yes she can ask you not to return. If she's not the director, just ignore her request and be as polite as possible to her.
She's not, I have no idea what she has against me, she is just another volunteer coach who knows very little about cheerleading.

She's not, I have no idea what she has against me, she is just another volunteer coach who knows very little about cheerleading.

She's clearly threatened by you and is trying to get you to leave. Go to your director and explain (very innocently and in an unaccusatory manner) that you were told by another coach (don't name her) that there were complaints from parents about your coaching and you'd like to discuss that. (If there truly were complaints lodged, your director would have discussed them with you either right when they happened, or at the conclusion of the season-and that would have been reason to not ask you back. Since that didn't happen, you don't have to worry.) Your director will say there weren't any and where did you hear that, and you mention (casually) that so-and-so told me. You aren't the bad guy, you were just concerned for your reputation and wanted to clear things up, you weren't tattling on that person.

She's clearly threatened by you and is trying to get you to leave. Go to your director and explain (very innocently and in an unaccusatory manner) that you were told by another coach (don't name her) that there were complaints from parents about your coaching and you'd like to discuss that. (If there truly were complaints lodged, your director would have discussed them with you either right when they happened, or at the conclusion of the season-and that would have been reason to not ask you back. Since that didn't happen, you don't have to worry.) Your director will say there weren't any and where did you hear that, and you mention (casually) that so-and-so told me. You aren't the bad guy, you were just concerned for your reputation and wanted to clear things up, you weren't tattling on that person.
Thats a really good idea, Ill use that when I go talk to him Thursday, Thank you! :)

volunteer coach who knows very little about cheerleading
This is such a common thing in Pop Warner; it's really a damn shame.

That woman sounds like such a bad seed; do NOT let her get you down! This past season, I had to deal with one of the coaches on an older team in our program who I learned several times had been spreading lies and telling others things that I NEVER said. As frustrating as it was, I kept my head up, refused to stoop to her level, and made sure that when her talk got back to me, I squashed rumors immediately and then informed our Cheer Commissioner (in a very nice, innocent way) about what was going on.

@MissBee has a GREAT suggestion; I would definitely talk to your Cheer Commissioner/Coordinator. I wish you the best of luck! :)

Is anyone on here good with Pop Warner rules? The rule book constantly contradicts itself and I wanted a second opinion about a stunt. Thanks :)

Is anyone on here good with Pop Warner rules? The rule book constantly contradicts itself and I wanted a second opinion about a stunt. Thanks :)
I don't think I'd say that I'm "good" with PW rules, but I do have my own copy of the rule book and am usually able to decipher it pretty well! What's up?

I don't think I'd say that I'm "good" with PW rules, but I do have my own copy of the rule book and am usually able to decipher it pretty well! What's up?

Yay!! :D Well we figured it out that it was illegal...although the relaseas move was braced on both sides by preps, it is still a release move and not allowed in intermediate :( Buutttt now I am worried about a toss...I have one flyer doing a pike toss, and she is a great tosser and arches beautifully after she hits her pike. This should be legal in intermediate, correct? In the rulebook it says the head can not be inverted over the waist. She arches a lot after she hits the pike, but her head is never inverted over her hips. So we should be good?? Thanks for your help btw!! :D

I have one flyer doing a pike toss, and she is a great tosser and arches beautifully after she hits her pike. This should be legal in intermediate, correct? In the rulebook it says the head can not be inverted over the waist. She arches a lot after she hits the pike, but her head is never inverted over her hips. So we should be good?? Thanks for your help btw!! :D
Ugh, I loatheeeeee Pop Warner's stance on flyers and arching in tosses... :mad:

As long as her head never falls below the level of her hips, you should be fine. But if it even comes close, I'd change that before your next competition; I'm hearing that it's harder this year to challenge judges' rulings. (Also, watch that she doesn't throw her head too far back when she arches... I think that's become an issue in the last couple of years, iirc.)

Good luck!

Yeah, even if her head is above her hips....if she tilts her head back they can still count it "illegal"....make sure she keeps her chin to her chest when she arches.

Ahhhh :eek: I'm nervous now! I think I might post a video of it to get both of your opinions?? I don't even know what other toss I would put in there :confused: We had an x-out because those are illegal...and their toe-touch tosses are disgusting! they don't snap their legs back in at the right timing...hmm well i will work on getting a video and get anyone's opinion who would like to give it! :D Thanks so much guys!

Back