OT post injury tumbling (help!)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Mar 22, 2010
so i sprained my ankle pretty badly and its finally healed enough to cheer and tumble. i had a solid standing handspring and roundoff backhandspring. and my roundoff was really powerfull with a nice rebound. i tried tumbling on saturday and i couldnt land my standing handspring and my roundoff was not powerfull at all and didnt get an inch of rebound.
any tips on how i can get my tumbling strong again?

Yea I would like to hear some of the suggestions on this as well. My daughter had knee surgery in July and is getting cleared to tumble tomorrow. She has not tumbled since the end of May so she is very nervous. She was working her two to full pre surgery! She is on an injured list for team, do you think she can have her full back by Jan or Feb?

Don't rush yourself into anything. Try getting spotted to make yourself feel comfortable throwing everything again. The last thing you want is another injury. Keep conditioning and practicing!

so i sprained my ankle pretty badly and its finally healed enough to cheer and tumble. i had a solid standing handspring and roundoff backhandspring. and my roundoff was really powerfull with a nice rebound. i tried tumbling on saturday and i couldnt land my standing handspring and my roundoff was not powerfull at all and didnt get an inch of rebound.
any tips on how i can get my tumbling strong again?

I've sprained my ankle badly 3 times as a cheerleader. There are 2 big things that you have to overcome.
1) Your fear of being hurt again. You may not be going as hard as you used to just out of fear that you will hurt yourself again, which is reasonable especialy if you got hurt while cheering/tumbling. You may also be finding yourself tumbling differently...ie, favoring your side that didnt get hurt. This could make things worse by actually stressing the ankle that wasnt injured by favoring it.
2) Getting back into tumbling too soon. You deffinately have to feel out your injury and know what you are capable of. I sprained my ankle (for the 3rd time in 4 yrs.) just recently and i just got back to tumbleing "fullout" 2 weeks ago. You need to start off with the basics again. That means doing your roundoffs untill they feel the same again, then to doing your RO-HS again.

You need to do the drills, and the conditioning, even though it feels like its pointless and you should just go ahead and throw your skill like you did before (BELIEVE ME I KNOW!!)

Trying to jump in with both feet riight where you left off could result in another injury, or just make you feel bad because you know you had the skill before but can no longer do it/ it feels different from before in a bad way.

You also need to make sure that you are completing your physical therapy and continue to do so even after your cleared. You cant loose anything by making the joint stronger!

And remember that you can get back to where you used to be and even get further than before! Just stick with it, listen to your body and stay confident in your skills.

Hope this helps

Condition, condition, condition! fortheloveoftumbling.com has some GREAT conditioning that you can do that will help you improve soo much! Don't rush, go step by step. If you feel as though your injured body part (ankle, knee, back, wrist, whatever it may be) tell your coach and ask to sit down. And last, but not least, STAY POSITIVE! You did it before, why can't you do it again?
Good luck & I hope this somewhat helps!

i've had many, many sprained ankles and each time i did not let it heal. and now i'm stuck with two ankles that are pretty much permanently damaged. so my first advice is let it heal all the way! don't push yourself to throw anything that you don't feel 100 percent able to throw! also, chances are you lost a bit of muscle. do a lot of conditioning to get your legs back into shape- running, squats etc. go back through all the basics too. start on the tumble track, move to the pit/mat. then go to spots on the floor. when you feel like your body has returned to the shape it was in before, start throwing things by yourself. good luck with everything!

Back