All-Star Post On Facebook/twitter = Kicked Of Cheer Team

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Keep_Believing

Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Apr 11, 2011
I was curious if anyone has had all star cheer members get kicked of their cheer team because of very inappropriate or negative post on facebook, twiter, etc. Just this season 2 different girls (for 2 completely different kinds of inappropriate post) were removed from their teams. What are your opinions on this?

CPs HS team signed a contract at the beginning of the season and twitter/fb posts are one of the things on there.

Were they given a warning, then made an additional negative post or were they removed with the first incident?
Was a social media rule already in place and they broke it or did the owner/coach just decide it was the bad and kicked them off after one time?

We haven't had anyone in our gym get kicked off directly due to their postings on twitter, Facebook, etc. We had an incident once where a girl did some things that were possible grounds for her to be kicked off and then things that she posted made the decision final. I also know there have been a couple girls who have called in sick to practice and then posted things about them being somewhere else which led to them being punished.

The first time we didn't have a rule in place, but the girl posted pics. of herself using marijuana and made funny comment about it under the pics. Owner decided she was a terrible role mode, unacceptable behavior, and illegal. She was immediately removed from the team. A rule was then put into place. The second incident a girl posted negative / rude comments about our owner on twitter. She was immediately removed. I sure wish these young ladies would think about their choices and the consequences they carry. I completely back up our Coaches decisions. It is just sad to see these talented girls throw so much away.

The first time we didn't have a rule in place, but the girl posted pics. of herself using marijuana and made funny comment about it under the pics. Owner decided she was a terrible role mode, unacceptable behavior, and illegal. She was immediately removed from the team. A rule was then put into place. The second incident a girl posted negative / rude comments about our owner on twitter. She was immediately removed. I sure wish these young ladies would think about their choices and the consequences they carry. I completely back up our Coaches decisions. It is just sad to see these talented girls throw so much away.
Well the first one is illegal, and as we keep mentioning that cheer is a business, I can see why they don't want their 'brand' associated with girls/guys doing illegal things.

The second is just silly. You know the rule, it's in place. Your gym is no worse off without them. BlueCat mentions all the time how part of what's made them so successful is not being afraid to remove some bad eggs..

It never happened on my teams, but i tell the girls not to post about our teams, practises, bad mouthing other teams cheerleaders and so on. Also they know i don't want so see videos or pictures from our practises on social media, unless i decide to upload it.
If a girl would "forget" or ignore this, i would talk to her, give her a warning and remind all the teams - again - of this rule.
Happens again - there won't be another warning.

Everywhere I've been has had rules about appropriate representation of the team, including on social media.
On my HS team my coach follows us on twitter, Instagram, and she is friends with us on FB so she can monitor our posts.... She's had to talk to some people about "inappropriate pictures" and she has suspended them the first time and never had to kick anyone off

To me, it's really a no brainer to not post negative or rude things about your gym or other gyms because at the end of the day, allstar cheer is a business. You're representing your gym. It's perfectly ok with me for it to happen. In the real world, when you have a job, it's very likely that they can look at your twitter or your facebook and if they see you saying negative things, they're going to fire you.

Back