All-Star Post On Facebook/twitter = Kicked Of Cheer Team

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Every gym I have been at has had this policy in place but I have never seen anyone be kicked off for it. One particular gym, did not because that person was needed. I think every one is replaceable to be honest if you call cheerleading a business.

Two years ago i had a girl on my team that made a facebook status with something negative she thought about either my gym or our team, i can't remember, but i do know she got yelled at privately and had to delete the status and write a letter to my coach apologizing. I personally think it was right of her to get a warning, but i definitely don't agree with kicking them off right away.

Teachers, coaches, colleges/universitites, employers are watching what you put out there and, right or wrong, there are some pretty life changing consequences for those "off the cuff" tweets, posts, pics and videos. Unfortunately, it isn't just about what you post either, a "tagged" photo of you in the background can be just as incriminating.
Privacy is a thing of the past, and unfortunately, there will always be a smartphone ready to document our "brain fart moments in life" for eternity. Think twice before you post and before you "friend" 3000 of your nearest and dearest acquaintances.

I think it depends on what was said and the context of it. I've had complaints due to swearing, pictures of me at a bar, etc from some parents saying it's a bad influence on their children. My pictures are of me with my friends and I'm an adult and I believe swearing used by my discretion doesn't deserve punishment. I do believe swearing/drunken pictures in uniform (even practice wear) does deserve punishment though because as someone else said, you are representing not only yourself but your gym as well. If someone is bad mouthing someone else... I think the context of it needs to be determined before anything is done. For all we know, something else was said first to them that led them to say what they did.

We have social media rules in place. One mom broke the rule so I told her she couldn't stay to watch practices for 2 months (the post was negative toward her daughters teammates at practices). She did it again (asking other cheer parents to tell her who turned her in for posting the first time) and ultimately I had to remove them from the gym.

The post wasn't the only/main reason they were asked to leave but it was a catalyst that started the process.

When I coached HS cheer it was actually a sport wide policy at the school about anything illegal shown in pictures on social media was reason for dismissal without warning. All athletes sign a contract acknowledging this. I as a coach monitored my girls social media sites and did not have any mishaps luckily.

We have a cyber bullying problem at my school. This has caused us to lose a key teammate a couple weeks before comp. This was only because this particular member had been warned several times since the beginning, by the school and as she got to know her, our Coach. Now a anti-cyber bullying clause is in the contract, and the school can remove members for the infraction, and you can't return the following season if it is that bad. Our girl is now back, but a lot more grounded, so far.

BlueCat mentions all the time how part of what's made them so successful is not being afraid to remove some bad eggs.
That is very true.
I believe that 100% Being strict on policies and holding people accountable for their actions is essential. With that being said. Its easier to be flexible on occasionally for special cases, than it is to try to get control back when people ignore your rules because they don't think you will follow through with hollow threats.

In the past, I have had to remind coaches/owners who become too emotionally involved with their team/program, that they are usually better off without the cheerleaders who leave, or who have to be removed. You are only weeding out the people who aren't dedicated, or who could damage the programs' reputation.

Yep. This year we had a flyer on our team (she did competitive and school) was removed from the team for bad mouthing coach and only coming to practice when she wanted. A month or two later she was then kicked off the school team because her friend posted an very innoproprite picture of her on Instagram.
2 weeks ago we had a member in my school team post a innoproprite picture on Instagram and get suspended ( had to sit out a pep rally and last football game.) I just wish girls would think before they post things. When they get removed it's not only hurting them but the team too.

I heard Maryland Twisters have a contract stating if you post a video/picture or any "Sneak peaks" about their teams you are immediatly off the team.

I had to discipline two of my high school girls this year for inappropriate comments on facebook. We did not have a rule in place, but in a small community when you make comments, they get noticed. The school decided that it fell within their "No Bullying" policy and they were punished even though it occured over the summer. Everyone needs to realize that with today's technology and social sites you must hold yourself to a higher standard. Don't do it if you wouldn't want everyone to see it.

I 100% agree with a no-tolerance policy. This is the perfect "real life" lesson.

As a parent I cannot even imagine how mad I would be (at my child) if my child got kicked off for negative/inappropriate posts. I would be so disappointed and honestly- I would take it all away. No more phone. Or at least I would stalk my child's every move on the internet. And that child would have to work to pay back at least some of the investment that I made for Allstars. I would be furious if I paid for tuition, comp fees, practice wear and a uniform, etc. to have her throw it all away.

Latest posts

Back