All-Star Post On Facebook/twitter = Kicked Of Cheer Team

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

As a general rule...if my Dad can read and see what I'm about to post and be okay with it, then it's okay to post. If not, then it doesn't go out there. It's just not worth it. Stuff that you put out on the internet can come back to haunt you yeeeaaarrrs later. Think about it.

There was a senior on my high school team that was posting inappropriate pictures of herself on facebook and then bad-mouthing our coach. We signed a contract in the beginning of the year, and the coach sent a text out to the girls reminding us to caution our facebook/twitter postings.

Not sure if anybody watched the show, but I started watching the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders Making The Team show today online and there was on girl that they showed who got cut before training camp because of some naked pictures she had taken with her ex-boyfriend. She said the pictures were taken years ago, and that wasn't the girl that she was now. Just remember that even if you take these kind of photos now they have the potential to come back and haunt you later.

Not sure if anybody watched the show, but I started watching the Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders Making The Team show today online and there was on girl that they showed who got cut before training camp because of some naked pictures she had taken with her ex-boyfriend. She said the pictures were taken years ago, and that wasn't the girl that she was now. Just remember that even if you take these kind of photos now they have the potential to come back and haunt you later.
Ohmigosh! I saw that episode. I felt so bad for that girl. The ex-boyfriend sent out the photos just to ruin her, from what I remember of her side of the story. The problem is she let him take them in the first place. Now this girl will never get her chance to cheer for the Cowboys...ever. She was one of the stand outs, too. Sad.

My private school has a 24/7 policy in place where if anything suspicious about you is told to administration or if you post proof of you doing anything illegal, automatic suspension. Depending on what it is, it can even be expulsion. That policy and the contract I sign for my varsity cheer team has really taught me how to correctly use social media, as cheesy as that sounds. It really keeps you accountable.

Has a child ever been punished for what their parent posted on facebook or twitter?

Unfortunately in my case the child suffered bc of her moms actions. I tried only disciplining mom but she pushed and pushed until I had no choice but to ask them to leave. I stress that it wasn't only bc of the social media posts though.

We've had this problem on our team this year. A couple of the seniors and some juniors posted pictures at a party (with red solo cups) on more than one occasion and the captions they put under most of them were just making it obvious that there wasn't Apple juice in the cups... My coach talked to them about it and they deleted all of their social media accounts. We have also had problems with the dance team this year, and all of the seniors post negative comments about them on our team Facebook page and also on twitter. It's weird because even though they are older, even the freshman know better than to post things like that. My coaches really don't enforce any of the rules on the seniors anymore because they continue to do things. But if any of us say anything about the dance team, even wishing them good luck, we will be removed from the team no questions asked.

At my gym we had a couple girls tweet rude things about the gym owner. Once the gym owner found out she had them removed from the routine for a competition. I feel that because it I the beginning of the season and competitions just started it is okay, but if this was later on during the year I would have been really upset. This is a great warning, but I feel that the parents could have prevented it. They were only 13 years old.

I feel that there should be a contract that the athletes sign at the beginning of the season acknowledging social media and what is or isn't appropriate. Especially now, with all the different social media sites.

I'd assume these 'warning' meetings would or should involve the parents, yes? I doubt the child is gonna tell their parents 'Oh well I got in trouble today at the gym for my facebook..'

Back