Practices

Discussion in 'Rec Cheerleading' started by Callmeboots, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Callmeboots

Callmeboots I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    How many times a week do you practice? How many hours? What do your practices consist of?

We're a competitive rec team that doesn't cheer for games and we practice two days a week, two hours a day, I was just wondering how everyone else balanced their time.

2. eliteathletics

eliteathletics I make my own voiceovers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    We practice 2 days a week- 1 day is about 1 -1.5 hours as individual teams (we have 3 teams) then 1 day a week we practice for 3 hours- all together- tumbling is 1-2 hours depending on the amount of kids missing per team, and the other time is divided up between stunting and choreo. This works for us but probably sounds very confusing to everyone else.

3. Tosh

Tosh When all else fails.... I shimmy

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Practice is 2 days a week for 3 hours each. We will add another practice as we get closer to competition. Our first competition is usually October. We go throuth the 2nd week in December and do a total of 3-5 competitions each season.

4. munchkinmom

munchkinmom Last Pass... on International Open 1

Shimmys Received:
    3 x 1.5hr a week. We do football sideline too, but they don't devote much practice time to it. Right now the girls are conditioning, tumbling & building at each practice.

5. Labegg

Labegg I Fierce Board instead of work/study

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    How do you get around the rule for the majority of EP's that say you have to cheer for a sport to be considered a a rec team?

6. eliteathletics

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    There are rec teams that compete locally thru their football leagues- here in new york we have PAL, so any cheer team that cheers thru a youth league whose football is governed by PAL belongs to SCYCA ( suffolf county youth cheerleading association) these town teams host local competitions and each town pays to compete there. There is no rule in SCYCA that you have to cheer at games, some towns cheer and some just compete. Now rec Allstars states that you have to cheer for a sport. My thing is PROVE i do or I dont and what if a team cheered for 1 game -does that qualify you as cheering for a sport- there are just to many variables and no way to control them.

7. SarahS

SarahS Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    So, and forgive me if I'm misinterpreting here, are you saying that your team doesn't cheer at games but you get around the rule at certain competitions because EPs can't/won't prove otherwise?

8. eliteathletics

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    NOOO- sorry, im saying that other people do. We are new to allstar rec this season and have called multiple ep's to get their interpitation of the rules and they told us to be prepared to "prove" that we cheer at games if questioned. They told me there is no way to govern it.

9. SarahS

SarahS Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Ahhhhh, got it. Thanks for the clarification! Yeah, that was my experience - we would go to competitions and know that we were going to be smacked by an all star team competing as "rec" but we had no way to prove it... So the kids just did their best, and occasionally we beat the ringers ;)

10. Kel Kell

Kel Kell Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    We do 3 nights a week for 2 hours a night during the summer, and then 2x a week for 2 hours a night when school starts. In weeks before comps we will go to a gym and will add a couple of extra 2 hour practices.
    We also cheer for weekly football games but practice is mostly for comps.

11. FierceinTeal

FierceinTeal Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    During summer 5 days a week for 2 hours. When school starts 3 days a week for 2 hours. Plus 1 Football game per week.

For the summer Practices usually consist of mostly Cheers with a little stunts, jumps, and tumbling. Once game start we usually know all the cheers and just work on Half time routines for each week and Competition routines.

12. Callmeboots

Callmeboots I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    We are registered through AYC, they allow you to have teams that just cheer competitively.

13. KaiCheer31

KaiCheer31 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    We practice 4 days a week (Mon-Thurs) from 6-8 :) We only do 2 competitions and football games :) We practice our sideline cheers, stunting, hello cheers, and choreo during the two hours :)

14. eliteathletics

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Thats a lot of practice time for only 2 competitions.

15. KaiCheer31

KaiCheer31 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    We just always practice because we have a lot of girls who are new to cheer this year, so we need more time to learn choreo and teach the new girls all the cheers and how to stunt and all that good stuff. :)