Practicing Tumbling At Home

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 19, 2014
hey everyone!

soo tryouts are coming up & i need to brush up on my tumbling. my gym is an hour away so i don't get to go often. (i haven't been in like 5 months.. i know! i wasn't progressing with my old coach and i'm trying to find a way to make things work with my new one)

anyway, im working on my roundoff back handspring and was wondering how i could work on it at home so i can use my privates effectively and be ready for tryouts! also, what has helped you get back after being rusty/learn new skills quickly?

thank you!!

Drills at home? Maybe.

Actual BHS at home? Nope!

I've corrected more "home tumbling" bad habits that you can shake a stick at!

Find somewhere local with a philosophy and staff you mesh with.

Don't try to "home tumble" short cut progress.

It shows. Trust me.

Short answer: don't tumble at home, condition and drill at home. If you are unsure what drills or conditioning, look at cheer Rx or for the love of tumbling for ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lots of roundoffs, focusing on a strong rebound out.
Handstand snap downs (these made the biggest difference for my daughter. She did 10 every night and went from bent arm, messy handsprings to beautiful handsprings with a strong block off the floor). So, I wouldn't try any full tumbling, but working on those basics is safe, as long as you are doing them with proper form.

Practicing tumbling at home that you don't have perfect at the gym is a big NO-NO. Even some tumbling that you can do perfect at the gym isn't safe to do at home.

You'll likely be teaching yourself bad habits and re-inforcing the muscle memory of those mistakes. This will make it much harder to fix in the long run. You'd be better off conditioning (strength training) and doing a bunch of handstand drills at home and setting up 1 private a week. Ask the coach what drills they would suggest you can do at home based on what needs work in your skills.

Never tumble at home unless you have a good foundation underneath you. If you can throw a skill confidently without a spot, and you've done it before on grass/turf I'd say that's ok. If there's any doubt at all, don't throw it. (P.S. always make sure grass is dry!)

Never tumble at home unless you have a good foundation underneath you. If you can throw a skill confidently without a spot, and you've done it before on grass/turf I'd say that's ok. If there's any doubt at all, don't throw it. (P.S. always make sure grass is dry!)
I wouldn't say its ok until you have mastered the skill. Just because you have thrown it, doesn't mean you are consistently throwing it 100% correctly. Practicing bad technique is worse than doing nothing.

I wouldn't say its ok until you have mastered the skill. Just because you have thrown it, doesn't mean you are consistently throwing it 100% correctly. Practicing bad technique is worse than doing nothing.
I mean, I think there's a difference between mastering it, and safely throwing it, but I get what you mean. Practice makes perfect. If everyone who hasn't mastered a skill needed a spot to be safe, there'd be way more work for us tumbling instructors.

ETA: for example my full is nowhere near mastered (twisting early, ugh...), but I would still throw it on any surface for you if you asked me to.

This is true. I think I know why my CP developed bad technique. She had a tumbling coach who just let them mess around a lot by themselves in class. While it was good for her confidence, it was bad for technique. Other coaches are now correcting her.

This is true. I think I know why my CP developed bad technique. She had a tumbling coach who just let them mess around a lot by themselves in class. While it was good for her confidence, it was bad for technique. Other coaches are now correcting her.
I'm sorry that happened to you, but that isn't indicative of everyone's experiences. If the skill is taught the correct way with good form, and drills to address problem areas, I think an athlete can correct some issues on their own. With a good foundation, tissues are less likely to occur. You're right though, if an instructor allows bad habits to get entrenched, that is no bueno.

I'm sorry that happened to you, but that isn't indicative of everyone's experiences. If the skill is taught the correct way with good form, and drills to address problem areas, I think an athlete can correct some issues on their own. With a good foundation, tissues are less likely to occur. You're right though, if an instructor allows bad habits to get entrenched, that is no bueno.

Yeah. I'm not an expert at all, but I'm guessing a combination of instruction and practicing on your own would be good. In my CP's case it seemed to have been too much of the latter. She's doing much better now though so no major damage done. And when she is doing it on her own (in the gym) I see that she is trying to do it the way she's been taught. :)

Yeah. I'm not an expert at all, but I'm guessing a combination of instruction and practicing on your own would be good. In my CP's case it seemed to have been too much of the latter. She's doing much better now though so no major damage done. And when she is doing it on her own (in the gym) I see that she is trying to do it the way she's been taught. :)
Yay! I wish the best of luck to your CP, it sounds like she's doing awesome. :)

It is true in a large majority of cases, in my experience especially for young or lower level tumblers. They haven't developed the body awareness to KNOW, unsupervised, that they are throwing a new skill with correct technique. Most of the time they aren't, and practicing it that way creates bad habits that need to be corrected. It's rare that a new/ low level tumbler has the body awareness to self correct these things without instruction or supervision. that's why the should be doing drills, not skills at home. it's not what most people want to, but it is what it is.

It is true in a large majority of cases, in my experience especially for young or lower level tumblers. They haven't developed the body awareness to KNOW, unsupervised, that they are throwing a new skill with correct technique. Most of the time they aren't, and practicing it that way creates bad habits that need to be corrected. It's rare that a new/ low level tumbler has the body awareness to self correct these things without instruction or supervision. that's why the should be doing drills, not skills at home. it's not what most people want to, but it is what it is.
I've seen both. I agree that it can hurt, but it can also help. I think you're right, some athletes don't have the awareness, but some do. When I feel an athlete can safely execute a skill, I encourage them to throw it by themselves.

Latest posts

Back