All-Star Pre-competition Rituals

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 19, 2009
What do you do to prepare for competition? Do you have a countdown of activities? Do you have a process to step it up, physically? How do you set your focus for success, mentally? What has worked best for you?

The night before a competition, I always always always light a candle. It helps me calm my nerves down and it's kind of a good luck charm/superstitious thing/whatever you want to call it.

I saw this article "The Mental Game of Competitions". Interesting insight.

http://www.cheercoachmagazine.com/display_article.php?uniqueid=440

It also reminded me of when Beyonce opened up about an alter ego she created for performances - Sasha Fierce: "I've created an alter ego: things I do when performing I would never do normally. I reveal things about myself that I wouldn’t do in an interview. I have out-of-body experiences [on stage]. If I cut my leg, if I fall, I don’t even feel it. I’m so fearless, I'm not aware of my face or my body".

To treat it like any other day is also an option, as Miss Bee suggested...

I do a couple of things:
-I visualize my perfect routine when I listen to my music
-I say goodluck to many athletes from other gyms no matter how they reply
-My team plays games to calm our nerves and bond before we compete like:
-the hokey-pokey but cheer style (left arm, right arm, head, right leg, left leg, heart, butt, team)
-hand games (you your partner or around the circle)
-My team sings silly songs and dance together to calm down

Those may sound weird but we've always done them, and they work for me.

To treat it like any other day is also an option, as Miss Bee suggested...

Oh, that's not what I meant at all! If I didn't do all my left stuff, then right stuff (socks, shoes, stretches), I would have been a mess! I'm OCD to the max.

on the way to the competition i listen to my favorite cheering mixed from the previous season and the last song i listen to before i walk into the competition is my music. while at the competition i have to go into the bathroom, even if i dont have to go. While in warmups i need to crack my knuckles, back and ankles, and after warmups, while waiting to go on the mat i need to separate myself from my team and do the routine in my head. During the team pep talk i need to be on the outside of the circle and my hand cant touch anyone elses. i also need to tie my shoes three times before i take the mat.

I bring all my good luck stuff, like my cheer bag and a blanket my friend gave me. I a eat a certain food for breakfast. In warmups, I warm up once then I'm done, I don't want to sike myself out. When the team is about to go on I get the group together and lead prayer. Then we go on!

my team gets in a circle and we all have a pixy stick
we play games usually with other gyms
we circle up and do deep dramatic breaths
we have a girl that goes around the circle and knocks on everyones forhead

My daughter is strange the night before she has to be in bed with phone off, tv off, and all ready at 10:30. The next morning she puts on her top and stays in her pants she bought from a musical and eats egss, bacon, and sausage. Then I do her make up, and then she brushes her teeth, and then hair, then skirt, then we head to the car. She has to listen to music and talk the whole way. Then once she gets there she gets out all of her bears, and puts on lipstick. She says if she doesnt do all of this they will do bad! Haha and before she goes on she does jumping jacks, and slaps her knees each time they come up. And then when they go on she must shake her her hips and then once she gets to her spot and pray and close her eyes until the music starts. At NCA she listens to one song before she goes on and leaves the house and when she gets there, and the way there! And that song is from the musical Wicked (original) and its called "Dancing Through Life" and then after she competes she gets out her bear she caught at a compeition... Thats all she does!

I heard before NCA at stingrays they line up all their dallas trophies along the mats i guess to motivate the cheerleaders

Back