Prep Level! Fair?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 15, 2018
A local squad around us has been a Senior Prep 3 since our first competition. However lately, at certain competitions depending on who else signs up, they will just throw a quick basket toss into their routine and compete as a regular senior 3! Is it fair of them to compete against other squads with 30 seconds less of a routine?? I haven't been able to find anything in the rules that specifically address this.

Not sure how they can get all the required elements into the nonprep routine in 30 less seconds?

I would think that would be a disadvantage to them so if they are going from prep to allstar and winning, then props to them. Nothing wrong or illegal about it unless they are crossing over at the same competition.

Why would it be unfair? If anything, they're at the disadvantage since they have less time built in to their routine to perform all the required elements. I'd be impressed if they can pull that off and win.

Yes I forgot to mention that they were also the host of the competition! That should tell you how they won with less routine. But at the same time its less time for mess ups.

Yes I forgot to mention that they were also the host of the competition! That should tell you how they won with less routine. But at the same time its less time for mess ups.
I don’t think ‘less time for mess ups’ had anything To do with it. They are throwing less tumbling, less stunts, shorter everything. I can’t say anything on whether they deserved to win since we haven’t seen any team but I dont Think a shorter routine is easier to win.

We regularly compete in events we host. But where I live runs very differently than the states, or Ontario for that matter.

We have a Provincial Sports Organization (PSO), and they sanction companies or gyms to host competitions as a fundraiser. The PSO provides and trains the judges and we're responsible for every other aspect of the event other than judging.

As far as moving from prep to all star, if they can do it, have at it. They could have won because of high technique scores, or deductions from other teams. Unless there's a dramatic point spread, there's thousands of reasons why a prep team competing as all star could win.

I could hardly fit in everything required for my level 1 in 2:30, the idea of adding a toss section makes me nauseated.

There really aren’t many 3 prep teams. I can see moving into All Star just to not be the only one in your division. And since straight 3 prep isn’t a division next season, I could also see working on transitioning this year, especially at small comps.

Back