High School Problem With Uniforms

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 10, 2012
I could use some advice from other coaches to make sure I'm not just overreacting.

I took on a new team this year, and ordered new uniforms from Varsity. Our rep came and measured the girls. She added 2 inches on to everyone's shell, regardless if they were 5'3" or 5'8". It has been a few years since I ordered from Varsity, so I assumed that was the new normal. I didn't question that and figured she knew what she was doing since she's the rep.

The new items arrived and I had everyone try on the uniforms. YIKES. The shell tops are so long on everyone, that when they hit the hips there is so much extra fabric it has nowhere to go. The material is so bunchy and huge around their stomachs. It's like this on every girl, not just one or two. I put one girl in a size smaller than she was measured for, and it seemed to help a bit, but was still far too bunchy around the stomach because of the extra length. Even if they were tall enough to need the extra length on the top, it wouldn't fit over their hips (and they aren't big girls, most of the skirt sizes are 7 and 8).

Sent a photo to the rep and called her on Friday. She said she'd look at the photo and get back to me Monday, but we'd probably just end up needing to take them in for alterations (sounded like Varsity would foot the bill). Well, it's 1 p.m. on Monday and I still haven't heard back from her. The way I see it is that Varsity needs to ship us new shells without the length added on, and perhaps a size smaller for each girl. If I wanted to get uniforms altered, I would have just stayed with the same ones the school already had and saved thousands of dollars. Am I nuts and overreacting for wanting new sizes shipped to me? I just feel like since we had her out to measure the kids, it should have been done right. I could have measured them myself and probably gotten better results.

I should also say I ordered new uniforms from Varsity for a different school three years ago, and the embroidered mascot looked like I sewed them on with my eyes shut. I was told to send them back for replacements. New ones came, same problem. The third shipment was finally good enough to keep.

Varsity quality is just not good. I stopped using them years ago.

And I am of the mindset that you should get what you pay for. That's not what you paid for so complain until they fix it

I'd keep fighting for proper fitting uniforms. Especially since Varsity fitted them.

It would be like having someone come measure window treatments and having them not be fixed.

Good luck!

Two years ago we got new uniforms from varsity and we got fitted for them and they turned out perfect. It's weird how everyone has such different experiences ordering with them.

About 2 months ago my team was fitted for new "MotionFlex" uniforms from Varsity. They came in the mail today and are a hot mess! The skirts are almost down to some girls knees. The shells are so tight in the chest area of some girls they can't breathe! What makes me so mad is that these uniforms are custom fitted for the girls! I plan on sending them back!

I just ordered new uniforms for both our varsity and jv teams. Almost all of them fit, with a few that were too small. When I contacted our varsity rep, she said they can alter the uniforms but cannot exchange sizes because they were custom made for us and they were fitted for a reason. So basically, if I wanted to wait a month (or longer since they are backed up now), we might get uniforms that fit, even though our rep told us that the uniforms are true to fit when they fit the girls. And, if we ordered new sizes because some didn't fit, we'd have to pay for them!

we ordered them from varsity last yr and we didn't have any problems. We have a great rep and some of ours we 1 inch longer and some were 2 inches longer. I actually had to order a few more and the skirts came and they were right. We also ordered from GTM and we have been happy with them. I don't think that they are made as nicely but for us they will work. They also sent us samples of every size to try on so that we could get an exact fit.

Hmm. All our tops are too short! They're from varsity but literally at least 10 years old so the fit isn't custom at all... I know when my coach ordered from varsity for our all star squad the stuff came in and we all had to trade around to get them to fit at all, and then had to get alterations. I say keep trying although you may need to get the old unis out and altered since varsity tends to take a while... We ordered a new skirt for me in April and it didnt come in until end of July - and the wrong color! And next time you may want to try a different company!

We got our new uniforms from varsity yesterday. Almost all of our tops are too tight in the chest area and almost all of the skirts are two big/long.

It's so weird everyone's experiences with Varsity. My coach used to order all of our school uniforms from Varsity without a single problem.

I would def be upset if the rep fitted them wrong. Mostly because you custom did them and asked her professional opinion and she screwed up. Imagine if that happened with a wedding dress... someone, somewhere would be fixing that.

Varsity is inconsistent-

Last season, my daughter was 6. She had an YXS top. No length added and it fit great. She had a YS skirt minus 1 inch it was Perfect.
A varsity rep sized her and told me her skirt was going to be to short. I had to argue to get the one inch off. The skirt they brought for her to try on looked to big thats why i asked for the inch off. She also told me her top wasn't going to fit her when she got it. I insisted on the YXS because the youth small gave her saggy shoulders. Although even when I got home I looked up their size measurements on their website and measured my kid- she was inside the size in inches for the YXS top so I don't know why she assumed it wouldn't fit but whatever. The rep was annoying but the uniform end up working with both my recommendations so I was satisfied.

Now this season she got another new varsity uniform.
Rep came in and sized them with samples and they put my daughter in YS top this and it looked great... Although her YXS from last year still fits her great so that was a surprise but I didn't argue because my daughter will be wearing it for one more year so I was like cool she can grow. Well the rep then added 2 inches... Idk why but I let her. She did it to everyone. Honestlywe got it the other day and I can't even tell because it still looks fine. The rep also sized her for her skirt. She put on the YS, the rep immediately said we need to take off an inch. I agreed because her skirt from last year still looked great and it was a YS minus 1 and the sample she tried on without the inch taken off was kind of long. Well her skirt is super short!!! Like real short. It looks so little.. So I compared it to her skirt from last year- same color and material. Neither skirt has ever been washed and her skirt that she just got is a good inch shorter then last season. So how can 2 skirts in the same material and same size be so different... Kind of makes me think they just do what they want :/

6bc09197-6363-071d.jpg

See she looks like she is going out for a night on the town... If it didn't say vipers or have that star it could double as a "little black dress" so short idk what I'm going to do. I'm going to have her wear it super low and hope she doesn't get taller.

Varsity is inconsistent-

Last season, my daughter was 6. She had an YXS top. No length added and it fit great. She had a YS skirt minus 1 inch it was Perfect.
A varsity rep sized her and told me her skirt was going to be to short. I had to argue to get the one inch off. The skirt they brought for her to try on looked to big thats why i asked for the inch off. She also told me her top wasn't going to fit her when she got it. I insisted on the YXS because the youth small gave her saggy shoulders. Although even when I got home I looked up their size measurements on their website and measured my kid- she was inside the size in inches for the YXS top so I don't know why she assumed it wouldn't fit but whatever. The rep was annoying but the uniform end up working with both my recommendations so I was satisfied.

Now this season she got another new varsity uniform.
Rep came in and sized them with samples and they put my daughter in YS top this and it looked great... Although her YXS from last year still fits her great so that was a surprise but I didn't argue because my daughter will be wearing it for one more year so I was like cool she can grow. Well the rep then added 2 inches... Idk why but I let her. She did it to everyone. Honestlywe got it the other day and I can't even tell because it still looks fine. The rep also sized her for her skirt. She put on the YS, the rep immediately said we need to take off an inch. I agreed because her skirt from last year still looked great and it was a YS minus 1 and the sample she tried on without the inch taken off was kind of long. Well her skirt is super short!!! Like real short. It looks so little.. So I compared it to her skirt from last year- same color and material. Neither skirt has ever been washed and her skirt that she just got is a good inch shorter then last season. So how can 2 skirts in the same material and same size be so different... Kind of makes me think they just do what they want :/

6bc09197-6363-071d.jpg

See she looks like she is going out for a night on the town... If it didn't say vipers or have that star it could double as a "little black dress" so short idk what I'm going to do. I'm going to have her wear it super low and hope she doesn't get taller.
It's cute though!

Kris10boo your daughter is soooo adorable! You are right, that skirt is super short. You will probably end up buying at least one more if she has to wear it for more than one year. If her legs grow any more that skirt will not be appropriate at all.

She is soooo cute! I don't think it's horrible, but she has zero room to grow. If she can make it work this year, maybe next year you can resell to a smaller new person and get a new one. The good news is skirts = $60, tops = $200. Our skirts fit fine, it's the tops that are all too short.

OP, you are not overreacting. The fit is not correct and since they were measured by their employee it's not your fault.

A few years ago I ordered shells from Varsity that had 2 inches added to every shell. The 2 inches looks good and fits well. Every time I reorder they leave off the two inches. It wouldn't be a big deal, but without the two inches a little bit of belly shows and I don't like it. Every year I send them the specifications, picture, and their original order sheets. Every year it comes back wrong.

Latest posts

Back