All-Star Problems With Motivation - Level 2 Vids?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 29, 2010
Hi there Fierceboarders

So I have a brand new team in the UK that I have just started coaching. I am very lucky that they are majority guys who are great jumpers and tumblers.
However I am very limited on girls/flyers and need to train up those who I do have for comp at easter.

Because they have never stunted before and I am a stickler for progression I am entering them at level 2. The flyers are just not air aware enough to go any higher in the limited time we have.

However the guys are very capable. So when I told them that BHS's were the only tumbling they could legally do it did not go down very well.

SO what I need help with is to find some seriously fierce level 2 squads that dont look like young children. I want to show them that level 2 can look amazing even though the skills are limited. However all the great teams I find on Youtube are very obvioulsy young children and I really dont think this will have the same Motivational effect on my 18years+ male cheerleaders.

Any ideas on Vids or motivational tips?

Thanks very much in advance.xxx

Look up C4 Longhorns- they get a LOT of respect around here and are a really talented Senior 2. Also Rays has a Large Senior 2 (don't know the team name). I just went onto youtube and typed in 'senior level 2' and a BUNCH of teams came up. I also found this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlG7_c_tbs0. It's Champion, and they're WICKED clean. Also do they (your boys?) have full passes to multiple BHS? Let them know that A) This is a GREAT time to clean/perfect their lower skills and improve synchronization and B) They can still work/practice higher-level skills without the pressure of competition. Have them work the idea of perfectly formed, synched squad tumbling. Some type of goal might help take their mind off of 'lessening their abilities.' Also, could these new fliers get in for extra stunt time? That way you know they're catching up?

I tried finding coed teams but you'll have to do a bit more digging. They're out there, promise!

Hi coach in the UK, I know how you feel, tumbling wise have you thought about combo passes i.e round off BHS step out to front handspring to round off back handsprings ?

As for stunts You need to thinking out side of the box: Tick Tocks, Hop overs, pendulums, show n go's drop stretches,

heres a link :

Thanks for the feedback guys, really great teams.

I promise I wasnt being lazy and had checked youtube, but I was trying to find coed squads but these may be a bit thinner on the ground lol. But the ones you have posted are great and will hopefully get them psyched!

All the boys have tucks and 3 have fulls. Unfortunately because none of these skills have been learnt in a gym (think tumbling on concrete and grass in the city lol) they are really struggling with multiple BHS. The argument they have is that these are easier than BHS. I am 100% terrified that they are going to get caught up in the moment at comp after watching higher level teams and throw in level 5 tumbling in a level 2 routine lol. I think I would physically run on to the mat and stop them mid pass lol.

Really trying with the flyers but dont want to push them too quickly. Will suggest extra training but unfortunately we are pretty limited with time and facilities. I have told them that if anyone is going to catch them then these guys will so they have no reason not to be confident flyers :)

Perhaps you could put off competition and have a camp instead still giveing them team some thing to focus on and look forward too, but have some perfect skill and help with the motivation and maybe take them to watch a comp so then can see for themselves what is expected ?

Hi MrAllstar, that would be an ideal circumstance. But unfortunately that isnt my decision to make as they have a committee and a captain who run the logistics and I just turn up to coach.
They have improved loads in the 2/3 stunting sessions we have had so fingers crossed this will continue. It just goes against all my principles to try and rush the basics but I dont have a huge amount of choice.

This Friday we are learning libs then in the same sesh I plan to move on to tick tocks lol. I figure if the bases are capable (and they def are) then I know it is safe because no matter what they will catch the flyer.

Im looking forward to teaching baskets as I think they are something which really gets a guy's 'manly' ggrrr instincts haha. Ie 'I can throw this girl higher than you can throw that girl' lol, hopefully that will engage them a bit more!

Thanks for the feedback guys, really great teams.

I promise I wasnt being lazy and had checked youtube, but I was trying to find coed squads but these may be a bit thinner on the ground lol. But the ones you have posted are great and will hopefully get them psyched!

All the boys have tucks and 3 have fulls. Unfortunately because none of these skills have been learnt in a gym (think tumbling on concrete and grass in the city lol) they are really struggling with multiple BHS. The argument they have is that these are easier than BHS. I am 100% terrified that they are going to get caught up in the moment at comp after watching higher level teams and throw in level 5 tumbling in a level 2 routine lol. I think I would physically run on to the mat and stop them mid pass lol.

Really trying with the flyers but dont want to push them too quickly. Will suggest extra training but unfortunately we are pretty limited with time and facilities. I have told them that if anyone is going to catch them then these guys will so they have no reason not to be confident flyers :)
Show the videos to the girls as well. Once they know the full stunt options available, they might just gain extra confidence and start pushing themselves (safely, of course!). I'm sure you've thought of this, but any drills they can work on at home to strengthen (both tumbling drills for the boys and flyer exercises for the girls) and stretching for the girls might also help to make them feel more productive!

Back