Pros And Cons To Cheerleading?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 5, 2019
So I’m thinking about trying for cheerleading next month as a college freshman. I have no experience but I just wanted to know what are some pros and cons to doing cheerleading before I officially decide to try out?

I think the pros and cons are too long to list, but one thing to consider is that athletes can't be subbed out the same way they can for a volleyball or basketball team. So if a player is sick/on vacation/injured, coaches can sub another player in. It's much harder to do that in cheer due to having different positions, needing to learn timing with new people, small differences in stunting technique, etc. So if you are planning to join, be aware that it is a serious and full commitment. You can't decide to head off to Mexico on a cheap spring break deal gif you have practice cos it will leave your team in the lurch. Basically, your priorities become family, school, cheer. I've missed many vacations, family dinners, events, concerts, etc. cos I've been at cheer practice or a competition. I still wouldn't trade it though

I feel like it also depends on if you are male or female because depending on the school that could drastically change your responsibilities on the team.

Back