High School Pulled Hamstring Flyer :(

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 29, 2014
Hi I am a freshman in high school and cheered on my high school team last winter and continued this winter (I skipped fall). I just started flying last year but was able to pick up on it. However, my left leg which is the one we pull heel stretches on has never been flexible. Last year, due to the high demand of flyers it didn't mater and I was still in the air. This year, our coach took three 7th grade flyers so I have been stretching a lot more. Even with stretching (I got my split down to the floor) I still couldn't pull a left leg heel very well because I had to get used to it I think. My coach then took me out of the two man stunt and put me in a show and go. This upset me so I decided to stretch even more but I must have pushed down too hard or fast and I felt something get pulled in the back of my leg (my hamstring). I didn't tell my coach and still pulled (or attempted to pull) my heel stretch when she put me in a singles group. After practice I texted her telling her about my injury. She responded kindly, but the next day at practice I was put rotating into a stunt group (for singles) with another flyer because she was deciding between the two of us. She also tried me basing a 7th grader. I think she is going to take me down due to my bad heel stretch but we have a week off. Is it possible for my hamstring to heal in this time and for me to stretch my heel stretch for it to get better? If so, what is the best way to go about doing this? Please help!!

Your coach is looking out for your health and safety. If you pulled it, it probably still hurts. Go see a sports med doctor. Also: heat and rest. Not flying at this time may be a good opportunity to not only heal, but to learn basing and become more versatile and valuable to your team.

That's not to say that you won't ever fly again, but if you don't take it easy, you risk further injury. If you injure your hamstring further, you could also put an end to not only flying but cheering period.

Would resting it for the week off be fine then? Also, should I be stretching it or will that risk further injury?

Back