Punch Fronts!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 21, 2010
We finally got choreo yesterday, and my pass is a punch front round off full. I can do it from corner to corner, but in the routine I have to go down the center panel, therefore I only have room to take like 2 steps max before I punch. I usually take about four long and fast steps to get the height and power I need. My form has been really good according to my coach, but I'm worried about not having enough power to do the pass towards the end of a really tiring routine. What are some tips for getting that same height and power on punch fronts with less steps and less room to do it?

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I doubt this is good as far as technique goes, but I have ALWAYS been a front tumbler (like even on dead floor my toe front is more consistent than my toe tuck lol) and I just started doing punchfront stepouts on dead.

For me to get power I had to change how my arms moved in my punchfront, on spring I would punch up, wrap around, and hold on to my legs until it was time to open up and step out. But that didnt work on dead because I didnt have the height.

To fix it I started doing what one of the trickers on my team called a "Russian Front", which is basically like a punchfront for the first part, punch up off your toes and set hard, but instead of wrapping and grabbing my legs I kept rotating my arms past where I would usually grab (if that makes any sense) and continued swinging. This sped up my punchfront and got my momentum going forward for the roundoff.

It felt really awkward at first but you get used to it, and now when I watch coed routines I notice that a lot of the natural tumblers off of top gun and the like do the same swimg. Ill try to find a video.

It worked for dead so It might help your power on spring.

I found a video!

It doesnt look as weird running because your legs catch up to your arms at the end and you just reach through to start your hurdle! Give it a try!

Back