All-Star Push An Athlete Or Hold Them Back?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 26, 2010
I know this probably wouldn't happen, but humour me.

Say you have an all around L3 athlete, good full twist baskets and all that, but you only had a L4 team and a L2 team. Which do you put them on?

Do you push the athlete by having them in a team really to difficult for them, and give them extra training? Or do you put them on a team which is below their level?

Opinions? This could be interesting. <3

This has actually happened at a gym I know of. They moved athletes both ways and unfortunately the level 4 team now struggles to have skills. However, if you offer that extra training and the athlete is mentally ready then go for it...if not hold them back and keep training.

I would hold them back a year on 2 and work on level 4 tumbling and condition them so that the next season they will be more then ready to be on a level 4. They may be bored on a level 2 team but winning at level 2 is better then a struggling level 4 team with possible injuries.

I think you should push the athlete to get the level 4 skills, but if they dont get them when competition season rolls around, move them down. I am a firm believer that to be on a level 4 team, you need to have all the skills.

Well, I would say hold them back.
Because at my old gym, they were putting lvl. 1's and 2's on a lvl. 4 team. Def. wasn't a good team. If they almost have it, then I guess that would be okay.

i think it depends on the athlete... For example, if the coach sees a lot of potential in them then they would put them on level 4. some people learn quicker than others so some might take a month to get level 4 skills and some might take a year. so if they were the kind of person who would take a year than it'd be better to hold them back. and if you REALLY cant decide i also think it depends on the team. if they have way more people on the level 4 than the level 2 than it might be better to put them on the team that is lacking people.

Some people rise to the occasion and will achieve higher levels is surrounded by those of a higher level (it's called the zone of proximal development). However, in athletics this doesn't always work. Some people don't do well, and don't meet the level of the higher team. You do have to be close to being at that level for the "bump up" to work.

I think this is also rather dependent on their stunt position. If they are a flyer, they might have trouble adjusting. Backspot/basing they could adjust well, but I would have them front so that they can learn the stunts and how they work, without risking too much injury. I was a level 2 athlete moved to a 4.2 team, and I front on that team, while I usually base. It's helped me adjust without struggling to do the stunts. Next year, I'll probably base. So factor that in too!

Very dependent on each individual, probably.

But if I were a coach (and it's a GOOD THING I am not...), I would probably move them to level 4, but let them know they had to have X skill by month Y or they would be moved to level 2.

IMO, the difference between level 2 and level 3 stunting is HUGE. The difference is smaller between 3 & 4. I think I would prefer to move the person up to continue their overall progression, rather than have them back track and try to relearn the stunt skills the following year(s).

That being said, if there was not a stunt position for that person on the level 4, but there was on level 2, I might think different. I personally avoid front spots at all costs and would not want to move someone up if they're going to front spot when they could be an asset somewhere else.

Depends on where they are with tumbling and how fast they can learn.
Generally, I would put them on level 2 and then through tumbling classes see if they progress to be on level 4.

It all depends on the athlete but I would push them to there fullest potential (sp)... it will make them fell better that they got moved up a level.

i would ask the athlete first, what they would be more confortable with-
but honestly id put him/her on the L4 team, so that the athelete knows they can expand their ability and it will be able to be shown, also for a confidence boost

i would probably tell them that it would depend on how hard they worked in the off season before choreo starts and if they slacked they would be level 2 and if they pushed themselves i would go with level 4

as said before it definitely depends on 1- the athlete and 2- the team. some people work well under pressure. they get skills faster when pushed or faced with a challenge. This person I would put on 4. There are also people who crumble under pressure..this person would go on L2. There are the people who don't have the tumbling, but are so good at other things that it doesn't matter...thus L4. There are people who learn fast and could catch up on whatever they didn't know while still being a base or flyer...L4 again. You also have gym loyalty. If someone has been with the gym for several years and is only L3, maybe you should reward them with a chance to be on L4. It will show the athlete that you believe in them and give them a boost of confidence that might help them gain their skills faster.

Now...the team. If the team is full of these L3 kids who have no place to go then maybe your team should be 3 and not 4. When you're hiding over half the team you should probably reconsider the teams level. A handful of people out of 36 who aren't throwing standing tucks doesn't make that big of a difference. You can hide a couple of people, but not a lot. I have also seen a lot of L4 teams who do have a couple ROBHST in their running tumbling. they don't get points for them, but they throw them anyways. It also depends on which team needs people. If the L2 team is at 36 then you have no choice but to put the kid on L4 and vica versa.

Back