Pushing Off

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 22, 2017
Hi everyone,

This may seem like a strange question. I am a very new beginner flyer, so just working on basic stunts. I keep getting the same feedback: that I don't push off hard enough off bases' shoulders. I've been focusing on it and trying to push harder, but (this is a little hard to describe) when I jump in, my arms are already stretched out. So I can't push that hard, because there's not much momentum. I think this might be because my legs are really long, so my torso starts out too high for my elbows to bend that much. I hope that all makes sense! It's definitely not arm strength because I'm good at hang drills and push ups and what not. Anyone experienced something similar when you started flying? Do you think it would help if I asked the bases to catch my feet higher? Any tips appreciated! Sorry for the long post. :)

Hi everyone,

This may seem like a strange question. I am a very new beginner flyer, so just working on basic stunts. I keep getting the same feedback: that I don't push off hard enough off bases' shoulders. I've been focusing on it and trying to push harder, but (this is a little hard to describe) when I jump in, my arms are already stretched out. So I can't push that hard, because there's not much momentum. I think this might be because my legs are really long, so my torso starts out too high for my elbows to bend that much. I hope that all makes sense! It's definitely not arm strength because I'm good at hang drills and push ups and what not. Anyone experienced something similar when you started flying? Do you think it would help if I asked the bases to catch my feet higher? Any tips appreciated! Sorry for the long post. :)
when the bases dip, it's okay to bend your arms a bit to push off. It's also not all about arms, pushing off hard with your arms won't do anything if you're slow standing up. the faster you stand (emphasis on faster, not sooner, still go with the counts) the easier it is for your bases to push you up. as far as asking bases to catch your feet higher, that's up to you to pull your feet up when you jump in and when you're in squish.

when the bases dip, it's okay to bend your arms a bit to push off. It's also not all about arms, pushing off hard with your arms won't do anything if you're slow standing up. the faster you stand (emphasis on faster, not sooner, still go with the counts) the easier it is for your bases to push you up. as far as asking bases to catch your feet higher, that's up to you to pull your feet up when you jump in and when you're in squish.

Thank you, that is helpful!

Hi @NewbieG14 , would you mind posting a video? It is hard to provide feedback on just a description however I think the solution to meeting your coaches expectations of pushing off might be to have the bases catch your legs lower. This way your arms can maintain contact with your bases shoulders allowing you to push off. If your bases catch your legs higher, and you have long legs, it is likely that your legs will be in your chest / throat once you get in their hands. As a result your butt will be lower and it will be harder for your to stand as @Quotation mentioned.

Back