Putting Cheer Over College?

Discussion in 'Random' started by lexikae, Dec 27, 2018.

1. lexikae

lexikae Last Pass... on International Open 1

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I honestly hope that this post makes some amount of sense, and does not sound like a jumbled up mess, like alot of things I end up typing.

Ok, so on with the point of this post. So considering the fact I am in my senior year of high school, and somehow managed to graduate a semester early ( still trying to figure this one out.) I have really taken notice in other peoples plans after high school, and I have noticed a lot of girls and guys that cheer at my school and gym are basing where they will go to college off of how well/good the cheer team is. As a parent or even a coach, what are your opinions on this? I actually had a conversation with one of my best friends who said that she is only considering Alabama, Louisville, Kentucky, or Oklahoma due to how successful the cheer teams are ( I am only aware of Louisville and Kentucky's success in the cheer world.) For some reason, this bothers because I just feel like your education should be put before cheer...but that is just me. This same girl is also mad at me right now for not looking into the same colleges as her. Another girl I cheer with has said she is only considering Alabama because she feels that cheering for a successful football team will get her further in life. I guess my thing is when as athletes do we draw the line on putting cheer before everything?

2. catlady

catlady Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I would love to write a book about friendships and what they go through at the end of Sr. year, the summer between college, and the first semester of college. I don't think there is anyone that can prepare you for the roller coaster of emotions during this time. Some of your friends are going to try to hang on for dear life, while others will walk away seeming as though there was never a second thought given to the friendship. Without judgment, this is a very selfish time where Sr's. are thinking about what they are giving up and moving onto, and it is amazing how differently people will react during this time. This is your time to make your dreams and aspirations come true, and let your friends do the same.

If your profile is correct and you are from Georgia, you have a great opportunity with the HOPE/Zell scholarship if your GPA meets the requirements. My suggestion as a parent, be as frugal as possible and get a good education for your career goals. Graduating debt free or as close to debt free with a quality education will feel much better than a quality education that has you paying it off for many years. Employers know that cheer can bring some good qualities to the table when hiring, but after the first post college job, cheer falls off the resume. Good luck and you do you.

3. quitthedrama

quitthedrama I buy my Insta followers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    There are definitely some who choose their college mainly based on the cheer program, but I think it's the minority. Those who do can wind up very disappointed if they don't make the team (the schools you mentioned are extremely difficult to even make the team and often tryouts are after the date your deposit is due), or if they get hurt and cheer is no longer an option for them.
    As far as getting further in life by cheering for one of the colleges you mentioned - that's a stretch. You will definitely make more connections, and to those who know the demands of the sport it looks good on a resume and may give you a slight advantage, but a high GPA, being involved in organizations specific to your major, internships and part time jobs will get you further in life than being a college cheerleader.

4. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Putting on my counseling hat:

My biggest advice: Choose a school at which you'd be happy and academically challenged in your major even if you did not cheer.

Ex: if you want to be a nurse, it is silly to choose a school with a laughable nursing program and low NCLEX pass rate just because it is ranked high in cheer world.

If you know you don't like living 3,000 miles away in rural Texas, do not choose Cornfield State because of the cheer program.

Also big spoiler alert: very few employers and grad schools or med schools care where you cheered, danced, played baseball, etc.

Connections in the field or program > where you cheered.

There are schools at which cheer alumni/ae are doing big things in their field of study. Those connections are more valuable than just "hey I cheered."

Example: Suzy goes to Louisville. She cheers and does well in school. She applies for a marketing job at which a UL cheer alumna is head of HR. That matters.

But cheer in itself does not really open career doors. The connections open doors.

If you are at school just to cheer, don't do well in school and don't network, no one is rolling out the red carpet for you because NCA jackets.

Now if you're a kid who wants to just live the cheer life after school, and you plan on coaching, etc. where you cheered may open doors just on name alone, but those opportunities are few.

5. SL&AM

SL&AM Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    While you may get a few extra years out of cheer and perhaps becomes the small minority who go on to open a cheer gym or work in one; what college you decide on can decide how the rest of your life will go. It's important to pick a college that has the academics you need first and cheer second. And I think this goes for any other sport unless you're being offered a sizable scholarship to play for the school. Then that is a different factor to consider.