All-Star Pyramids... Too Much, Too Little, Or Just Right?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 13, 2010
I'm curious to see what others think about some of the new pyramids we are seeing these days. I am all for some of the very creative innovation that is taking place, but recently I have seen some pyramids that I think are just too much.

What I mean by that is that it seems like some teams are trying to do too much during the pyramid section. People flipping all over the place so much that the pyramid never seems to establish itself for more than a second.

I am all for creative transitions in pyramids, but I think there comes a time when you are trying to do too much... and this year it seems like many squads are just trying to do too much and it takes away from the beauty of this skill. I'm more for creative transitions with not too much going on... the KISS principle really... Keep It Simple Stupid. Am I alone on this?

haha, i was satisfied with pyramids when all you needed were 3 baskets, a couple show & go's and maybe 2 structures. but the times have changed... and the more you can do, the better. for the most part, i like it because you get this sense of suspense with everyone flipping over and tick tocking. however, i do think that there are teams that try to do too much... with more release moves and inversions, the more braces and spotting requirements and some teams' pyramids end up with a dead time in the middle of the pyramid where nothing is going on because everyone is restructuring and bracing for the next move. that is a huge pet peeve of mine.

I think that pyramids are changing for the better! Pyramids were starting to look cookie cutter to the point where you could probably attend a single competition and witness a good handful of team performing if not the same, then very similar pyramids. I like that more teams are starting to put bigger and better pyramid sections in their routines, as long as they are clean and HITTING THAT SCORE SHEET!!!!

I think that pyramids are changing for the better! Pyramids were starting to look cookie cutter to the point where you could probably attend a single competition and witness a good handful of team performing if not the same, then very similar pyramids. I like that more teams are starting to put bigger and better pyramid sections in their routines, as long as they are clean and HITTING THAT SCORE SHEET!!!!

I would agree that it was getting stale, but just wondering if some are trying to do too much. I saw some pyramids this past weekend that were just a mess, and you didn't know what to watch because it seemed like they were trying to do too much. Just wondering if anyone else felt this way or if I'm just too old school and like the simplicity of a few structure changes that are clean and solid, with not too many transitions.

I agree. The scoresheets only ask for "multiple" structures, transitions and flips. So if you do 2 of each then u have hit the scoresheets. Anything more to me is just too much room for error. Especially when your going to score the same or MAYBE .1 or.2 higher but if something goes wrong, then u loose that .1 or .2 or even more in execution/technique. So you really need to weigh the options and ask yourself if the risk is really worth the reward!

As much as I love watching the long creative pyramids, I feel like slapclapdip, when it is so much more then what the scoresheets asks for it just leaves room for an error that will end up hurting the team not helping it.

I guess it also depends on the squad/ program as well because if you're known for executing your phenomenal pyramids I doubt your going to tone it down. But just like with any other aspect of a routine, if its not your strong suit then get in and get out and on to the next part of your routine!!

i like what see so far with pyramids.. but the one thing that is bugging me. is TG semi. the scorps?? they grab in the structure and then inversion out of them i know its different which is good.. but it just doesnt look appealing IMO!

but i dont love the new entries im seeing into pyramids instead of just loading it and going into the pyramid i like to see creativity into it!

I'm starting to like the look of extended structures together. Not so much the paper doll look but creative ones are fun to me

Good rule of thumb, if it doesn't hit solid more than a handful of times in practice then it's too much, take it out. Yes pyramids were getting kind of stale and there are some teams pushing the envelope, but if you choose to have that much difficulty, it needs to be executed well.

i dont know about anyone else, but i am so over the pyramids with like 1 flip and 2 straight up structures. something different please!!

I'm starting to like the look of extended structures together. Not so much the paper doll look but creative ones are fun to me
I agree! Not a huge fan of paper dolls... they just look unstable or something to me, but I do like extended stunts together.

I guess it also depends on the squad/ program as well because if you're known for executing your phenomenal pyramids I doubt your going to tone it down. But just like with any other aspect of a routine, if its not your strong suit then get in and get out and on to the next part of your routine!!

agreed. i think its kind of whatever your teams strong points are

I don't mind long pyramids as long as it is executed very clean, and the flyer on the left is symmetrical to the flyer on the right

Back