High School Questions About Alternates On High School Teams

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 9, 2013
How and when are they chosen, what do they do? Our local high school has only one team, the varsity squad. There were no alternates at the beginning of the season, now after one competition and one girl leaving the team, the coach has decided that amongst a group of 5 girls two will be alternates, the rest of the team has a secure spot apparently. The alternates will compete in all our local (high school run) competitions, but not our regional conference and state competitions. The regional is a few weeks away and she has yet to tell which two girls will be become alternates. There was no indication at the beginning of the season that there would be any alternates and the coach had said in the beginning that she was only taking a certain number of girls so she wouldn't have to cut anyone for competition season.

Is this typical? I have heard of alternates, but the ones I have heard of were selected at the beginning of the season, added from someone not already on the team, or if someone gets injured.

My school has always done it. If you don't have the skills you don't get put in the routine- but you come to practice, learn the routines and work on your skills anyway, just in case a spot opens up.

When I cheered there was never a situation where we downsized, usually we just replaced the girl, but it was definitely always an option.

I wouldn't be too worried about it, because they at least get to cheer for the majority of the competitions. Some girls on my teams never got to compete at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How and when are they chosen, what do they do? Our local high school has only one team, the varsity squad. There were no alternates at the beginning of the season, now after one competition and one girl leaving the team, the coach has decided that amongst a group of 5 girls two will be alternates, the rest of the team has a secure spot apparently. The alternates will compete in all our local (high school run) competitions, but not our regional conference and state competitions. The regional is a few weeks away and she has yet to tell which two girls will be become alternates. There was no indication at the beginning of the season that there would be any alternates and the coach had said in the beginning that she was only taking a certain number of girls so she wouldn't have to cut anyone for competition season.

Is this typical? I have heard of alternates, but the ones I have heard of were selected at the beginning of the season, added from someone not already on the team, or if someone gets injured.
Doesn't sound typical. Alternates are usually picked at the beginning of the season. They are full fledged team members and cheer at all games/pep rallies, but they do not compete unless someone is absent (usually due to illness or injury). They come to every competition in full uniform, with their hair done and the bow in place just in case.

I have 3 alternates. It is known at tryout time that it is a possbility that you may be selected as an alternate based on your tryout scores. They perform all varsity duties in terms of games, rallies, and practices/learning the routines, but do not compete unless I have an injury, dismissal, quitter, etc.

Honestly though, most years at least 2 of my alternates compete because of the above things.

However, selecting alternates without people knowing that it's a possibility or doing so in the middle of the season is not the most fair way of doing things.

We always had alternates for Varsity. My freshman year we had alternates for varsity and they competed/did games for JV. They were knew they would be the girls pulled up to Varsity if they needed someone.
Ever year after that the varsity alternates cheer at Varsity games but didn't compete. They went to all the competitions with us though., including Nationals. We almost always ended up using one or two alternates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We do alternates. I've had anywhere from 2 to 5 depending on the season. I try to do an entire stunt group, so that they can practice full outs and everything with the entire team. We typically choose the alternates right before going into choreography at the end of the summer. Up until that point anyone could be an alternate, we watch every practice to determine who they are. Our alternates do everything except for compete. They have a spot in the routine and are choreographed in a way that the routine looks good wether they are in it or not. We try to do one local competition a year that gets them out on the floor, but there is no promise of that. Usually every alternate at some point in the season will compete at least once, but that is also not promised. One year I didn't do alternates and I warned parents that if I felt the need to change my mind mid-season I would.

I've coached Varsity and JV in the past, and currently coach middle school and Pop Warner. Other than Pop Warner, I've always had alternates. Sometimes they were chosen right at the beginning of the season, sometimes a couple weeks into the season before choreography. It is stated right in my tryout packets and contract why we have them and how they can be chosen. I've had teams where my alternates were chosen due to lower skills, and some where it was due to grades, commitment, attitude, etc. I've had girls quit when they are told they are an alternate, and I have never had a season where I didn't need an alternate to step in due to injury or grades. I make sure that the entire team competes at at least one invitational comp, and alternates are full members of the sidelines and games at performances. I've never had a parent complain or contest my choice...yet....

I can understand why the OP's cheerleader or teammates would be upset with this. It is not their fault that the team dynamic changed and now the coach is grasping at straws to fix it by wanting downsize and change divisions. We carry 4 alternates all season. One back, one flyer and two bases...so if someone on varsity is dismissed or injured we know exactly who is getting pulled up. It helps with the team knowing what will happen and understanding that girls are not getting replaced just because.

That's what the OP's coach should have done.
Agree. That year I threatened it, but never did. Even though they had warning it could happen, it just never felt like the right thing to do at that point in the season. Looking back, I probably would have, but at the time the drama would not have been worth the outcome. I will never say no alternates. There will always be a chance. The OP's coach should have said that at the beginning, but hindsight is 20/20.

Edited to fix my terrible grammar!

Last edited:
My school has never had alternates for the varsity squad but we do have two for our competition team. They learn every part of the routine and if someone gets hurt they are the ones that fill in. I know they are announced when the team is announced and compete in any competition.

We have alternates for our jv team. Don't like having varsity alternates we would rather just pull up who is needed from the jv team. I dont really think it's fair to randomly drop kids from routine, but sometimes if there is an injury or a team members quits and there is no JV or alternate to fill their position it could be only option? My coach did the same thing in high school when we went from the large to medium division and team was pretty upset.

Thanks everyone for your input. I agree that it should have been stated up front, then everyone knows what they are getting into from the beginning. Guess we're just going to have wait and see what happens and chalk up to another lesson learned, sometimes life is just not fair.

I can kinda see having to pull some people to make the routine work after having someone quit. I wasn't in that position exactly but I had this happen: 1st competition- team of ten ended up pulling two people off the week before as alternates because they simply didn't know the routine or care to work hard enough at it. 2nd competitions-team of 9 (had one quit) and decided to dismiss a team member the night before competition due to not knowing the routine, blowing off practice, and not caring. No, I never stated that being made an alternate was a possibility, but I feel sometimes you have to do what is best for the team. If you have 3 stunt groups and you lose one member now making it not possible to do three stunt groups, it would be best (score wise) to downsize and have less "left over" cheerleaders than to have enough to make a third group but not the talent. Not an easy situation to be in for the coach I'm sure nor the other cheerleaders.

Back