Raising The Bottom Age For Worlds

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009
so I know there was talk at the USASF meetings about moving the bottom age up to 13 in the senior category for worlds athletes but I was thinking we might as well just move it to 14.

Juniors were taken out of worlds and girls these girls that are 12 13 and 14 are still Jun age on a senior team so it only makes sense. It would also create stronger junior teams across the board. There wouldnt be such a rush for skill progressions and pressure to get certain skills so early on. Plenty of time to perfect the skills not just throw them cuz your team needs your double to get a bid. It would cut down on the number of teams competing at worlds and give the athletes something to still look forward to cuz they arent competing at worlds for their 4th time and age 16. Thoughts?

I also think that if they move the bottom age, that it might as well be to 14. I never really given any thought to what it would change besides the worlds turnout but you make a great point about the rushing of skills.

so I know there was talk at the USASF meetings about moving the bottom age up to 13 in the senior category for worlds athletes but I was thinking we might as well just move it to 14.

Juniors were taken out of worlds and girls these girls that are 12 13 and 14 are still Jun age on a senior team so it only makes sense. It would also create stronger junior teams across the board. There wouldnt be such a rush for skill progressions and pressure to get certain skills so early on. Plenty of time to perfect the skills not just throw them cuz your team needs your double to get a bid. It would cut down on the number of teams competing at worlds and give the athletes something to still look forward to cuz they arent competing at worlds for their 4th time and age 16. Thoughts?

I agree 1,000,000%

Worlds is said to be the Olympics of cheerleading. In gymnastics you have to be 16 to attend Olympics so 14 makes sense according to how our age breakdowns and our current level system

if i could give all of you 500 shimmies per post, i would.

i want this to happen. so badly.

But what about small gyms where they would barely have 16 kids for a level 5 team but 4 of them are 12 and 13. Do You think a team of 12 would have any chance at a bid? Not everyone in the cheer world is blessed to be in highly populated areas.

I am not in favor of this unless there is an exception for small gyms.

I disagree. Kids who get talent young and have the maturity level to do well on a Worlds team die waiting. My CP, like so many out there have the skills now...she is ten....no Worlds for Jr's....so you are saying that she must wait another 4 yrs? So besides NCA (she thankfully got a jacket last year) the next thing to try for is International All Levels? Have you been to one of those? 12 is good...IMO

I think 12 is a good age. You cannot lump all 12-13 year olds into the same grouping. I think whether or not an athlete is ready for a senior 5/worlds team should be left to the coach and parent. My oldest CP would have been maturity wise ready when she was 10, went to worlds last year at 12 and did very well. My youngest CP is 11 and I can't imagine her being on Obsession before she's 15. She's much younger minded and doesn't handle being "pushed" as she would need to be on a senior 5 team. She is stressed about possibly making junior 5 next year because she knows it's a lot tougher. But don't make one wait because another can't handle it. Again, that should be a coach/parent decision.

I think 12 is a good age. You cannot lump all 12-13 year olds into the same grouping. I think whether or not an athlete is ready for a senior 5/worlds team should be left to the coach and parent. My oldest CP would have been maturity wise ready when she was 10, went to worlds last year at 12 and did very well. My youngest CP is 11 and I can't imagine her being on Obsession before she's 15. She's much younger minded and doesn't handle being "pushed" as she would need to be on a senior 5 team. She is stressed about possibly making junior 5 next year because she knows it's a lot tougher. But don't make one wait because another can't handle it. Again, that should be a coach/parent decision.
Sooooo agree here...I also can't imagine making Laney wait more years...and there are lots like her out there just waiting..:)

If you raise the age to 14, you might want to consider going back to straight up stunts.....or at least simple full ups and switch ups to max on the scoresheet. Todays level of acrobatics stunting is requiring smaller lighter flys, and many gyms must dip into their juniors to some degree.

We can't have it all ways. Be careful what you wish for.

Back