All-Star Random Cheerleading Questions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Lol okay. Doesn't make sense if it's all local gyms.
Haha, there are definitely some comps like that though.
It really depends on what the name of the competition is. I've seen State Championships and Regional Championships for some locals. Others might not have any title other than "champion"

ETA: I went to a "State Championship" comp a couple weeks ago (in Texas) and it was about 6 hours long in one arena, one day and probably around 50% of the teams were CA. Many divisions only had 1 or 2 teams. It was a well run and good comp though, just tiny.

It has a name but I'm so tired I can't think right now- but in level 3 there's the flip over where the back base and flyer connect and the flyer flips over and the bases catch- to add the full twist what can I do? ATM the back base crosses arms and helps get height but we're struggling to get the full twist in there- a half so the flyer ends up facing the back base works but not quite there on the full twist, any help/videos etc would be amazing!

(Sorry this is so rambly and it probably makes zero sense but if anyone can help I'm grateful!)

The most common problems I come across when teaching this are:
Bent arms - straight arms allow more of the backspot's twist to "transfer" to the flyer
Loose flyer - if the flyer is tight enough and the grips are correct (so the back uncrosses and recrosses her arms), the full twist can't not happen

You can try drills on the floor, where the flyer lies down with her arms above her head and the backspot twists her along the floor - if she is tight enough her arms, shoulders, hips and feet should all turn as one. If not, work on those core muscles!

For future reference, and for this, it is always easier for people to help you if you post a video.

Random question: is there anything a gym owner can do when another gym steals choreography count for count? Another gym in our division saw us compete and showed up at Cheersport with our exact elite stunt from when they saw us last month. I had watched everyone at that comp last month and they were not doing anything remotely close to our stunt. I guess they were salty we got the bid they were looking for.

Random question: is there anything a gym owner can do when another gym steals choreography count for count? Another gym in our division saw us compete and showed up at Cheersport with our exact elite stunt from when they saw us last month. I had watched everyone at that comp last month and they were not doing anything remotely close to our stunt. I guess they were salty we got the bid they were looking for.
That can bite a team in the butt if they don't execute it as well as the original team did.

Not sure what you can do. Probably nothing. Ugh. Last season we saw girls from another team videotaping my cps team. Another ugh!

At some comps, I do videotape other teams in CP's division - since she likes to see how they did if she's at warm-ups and can't see them. I do always feel a little weird doing it - but I delete them after she watches.
I've always been curious if it looks odd or shady...

It was pretty pathetic. I videoed as well...however I did not delete the video from this past weekend and I had the one from last month as well...I gave to our gym owner. Now I can delete. I think it's very unsportsmanlike on the part of the gym and they posted on their fb pg how their girls did well with 'last minute' changes. Inspiration is one thing,copying is another. I don't usually video but this time I did...
ETA: I do note falls and glitches in the competitors routines on paper though lol

They had posted on their gyms Facebook page that it was a great weekend in spite of all the 'last-minute changes' to their routine. It was all I could do to not comment on that public post. But that's okay we've already changed our routine and made it harder than it already was

Random question: Can stretching really help bent leg tumbling? IMO stretching would be a waste of time to try and correct bad tumbling technique but just want some more insight. TIA

Random question: Can stretching really help bent leg tumbling? IMO stretching would be a waste of time to try and correct bad tumbling technique but just want some more insight. TIA

Shoulder and back flexibility is definitely part of good walkovers and handsprings, but I've seen plenty of athletes doing higher level tumbling who severely lack flexibility.
If you're looking to correct bad tumbling technique, you generally are looking at a lack of muscle/control of said muscles, bad teaching of the basics (you'd be surprised how many peoples' bad double fulls are a result of their bad roundoff), or lack of confidence.

Back