All-Star Random Cheerleading Questions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We aren’t going to majors but we are attending another worlds bid comp.

We replaced the kids who are going to HS nationals and they have fill-ins.

The only risk they take when doing that, is they are told they may not go back in immediately. We compete again next weekend and those kids won’t be plugged back in until there is a break and multiple practices between comps to work them back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Makes sense. I am getting better at sharing kids between programs but I always tell people that I can't guarantee you a spot right back in. You also create an avenue for me to see if someone else can do your spot better than you if it happens all the time. Which is why I suggest that girls not try out for my team if they are probably going to miss more than one comp and more than 25% of our game schedule, and can't attend at least 2 of 3 practices every week.

I had a girl really struggle with the fact that she missed every other game, half the practices, and our regional comp, then was not included on the mat at our national. She was just, NEVER there. When she was there she struggled because there were changes that she did not know about. An alternate was always her fill in at those pre-comp practices, then took her spot at regionals. Once her all star season died down (I think she was on a half season team), she thought she was coming right back in. No.

Sidenote @TheVipersMom is your girl on your worlds team this year and I missed it?!

Random timing question I never thought about.

NCA HIGH SCHOOL nationals is this weekend (27th-28th.) So is MAJORS (tonight.)

There have to be kids on both an NCA competing HS team and a team that competes at MAJORS.

As a HS coach who generally does not have kids with major national all star comps conflicting with our main national (we only have 4 or so comps, and one midsized comp that serves as our season ender in April), I wonder how this works out?

I'm assuming they just don't take the mat with their high schools. because Majors. Does anyone actually do Majors and HS comp in the same weekend? That would be crazy.
I would doubt many of these high caliber teams have athletes who cheer high school past the football season. I'm pretty sure Georgia can't compete out of state, so you eliminate some of the top high school teams from NCA and there are no conflicts for most all star comps. Our gym is very accommodating during football season but does not allow anyone to cheer during winter high school cheer - not just because of inevitable conflicts but the risk of injury messing up teams is very high. It wouldn't surprise me if other gyms have similar policies.

I would doubt many of these high caliber teams have athletes who cheer high school past the football season. I'm pretty sure Georgia can't compete out of state, so you eliminate some of the top high school teams from NCA and there are no conflicts for most all star comps. Our gym is very accommodating during football season but does not allow anyone to cheer during winter high school cheer - not just because of inevitable conflicts but the risk of injury messing up teams is very high. It wouldn't surprise me if other gyms have similar policies.

Now that I think about it, I don't think very many HS teams in TX have a true competitive season? Most are done after their state comp which is gameday style. Not actually fully competing.

Now that I think about it, I don't think very many HS teams in TX have a true competitive season? Most are done after their state comp which is gameday style. Not actually fully competing.
I would say that the vast majority of NCA is Texas schools. I don't know whether or not there is anybody on Cheetahs or Panthers competing this weekend, but I know at least several CA athletes that are.

Random timing question I never thought about.

NCA HIGH SCHOOL nationals is this weekend (27th-28th.) So is MAJORS (tonight.)

There have to be kids on both an NCA competing HS team and a team that competes at MAJORS.

As a HS coach who generally does not have kids with major national all star comps conflicting with our main national (we only have 4 or so comps, and one midsized comp that serves as our season ender in April), I wonder how this works out?

I'm assuming they just don't take the mat with their high schools. because Majors. Does anyone actually do Majors and HS comp in the same weekend? That would be crazy.
We actually had one athlete, I know of for sure, on Cheetahs who had High School nationals and he took the first flight out this morning

First Competition as a coach? Has anybody tips for me? We are a small program in germany and it's the first competion for all the kids and none of the coaches were at a competion as a coach before. What are things you have to think of before leaving? How do you stay organized during a competition? How do you do that all the children stay in place and are focused?

Gesendet von meinem ZTE BLADE A612 mit Tapatalk

I just found out that one local high school caters their winter comp schedule based on our gyms all star schedule. They have too many talented girls that they would lose if winter high school cheer was the priority. And it has worked out for them so far, they just won their county title and are moving on to semi and state finals.

Our gym allows winter cheer and it's a pain. States always falls on the weekend of Hartford and we get stuck having to take people out for day 2 or hope that they can make it to the comp. It's a huge bid competition too.

First Competition as a coach? Has anybody tips for me? We are a small program in germany and it's the first competion for all the kids and none of the coaches were at a competion as a coach before. What are things you have to think of before leaving? How do you stay organized during a competition? How do you do that all the children stay in place and are focused?

Create a schedule and distribute it to all coaches/athletes/ and parents with the time they need to meet at the venue, what time they are going to warm ups, and performance time. I used an app on my phone, and set the picture of schedule as my phone background so I can reference it with ease. People will be late, and arrive not dressed so allot atleast 20 minutes before the actual time. If we actually warm up at 4:30 I have my team all together and as close to warm ups as possible by 4;00. In that extra time you can stretch them, have them play little games, or walk through the routine, or a come to Jesus meeting to get them focused.

Have extra versions of music, CD, Ipod, and if you're using an iPhone 7 or 8 have the adapter because alot of DJ's don't necessarily carry them. Also have a dedicated music playing person have them walk through warm ups with you it can even be an athlete for another team.

Have all documentation including rosters, legalities emails etc all on hand. For legality emails send them to multiple coaches so if someone's phone dies you can still pull it up on another.

Get to the comp early and scope out the venue find the restrooms, water areas, first aid, and score sheet review areas.

In America we have the ability to challenge scoring ranges/deductions after a team competes but you only have about 15 minutes to do so after collecting scoresheets at the scoring tables.

Also have you extra ponytail holders, bobby pins, bow, and a few snacks because I've learned that cheerleaders don't like to eat on comp day and that's not the best idea.

Make sure all of your coaches have ID's on hand, and their backgrounds checks are cleared. Make sure all of the registrations fees are covered before you get to the registration table.

The kids will listen to you, and will sit where you tell them to lol. Even if they say don't have to pee make them try even the older ones.

Lastly most vendors and individuals working the comp will help guide you through the process and should be prepared to answer your questions (because that's their job lol) don't stress it too much.

Our gym allows winter cheer and it's a pain. States always falls on the weekend of Hartford and we get stuck having to take people out for day 2 or hope that they can make it to the comp. It's a huge bid competition too.
My daughter and a teammate, who are on IOC5, coach a HS team, with other athletes from her gym also on it, and pick their schedule in correspondence with AS. Luckily states is the weekend before Hartford. Luckily not to many conflicts to worry about.

Create a schedule and distribute it to all coaches/athletes/ and parents with the time they need to meet at the venue, what time they are going to warm ups, and performance time. I used an app on my phone, and set the picture of schedule as my phone background so I can reference it with ease. People will be late, and arrive not dressed so allot atleast 20 minutes before the actual time. If we actually warm up at 4:30 I have my team all together and as close to warm ups as possible by 4;00. In that extra time you can stretch them, have them play little games, or walk through the routine, or a come to Jesus meeting to get them focused.

Have extra versions of music, CD, Ipod, and if you're using an iPhone 7 or 8 have the adapter because alot of DJ's don't necessarily carry them. Also have a dedicated music playing person have them walk through warm ups with you it can even be an athlete for another team.

Have all documentation including rosters, legalities emails etc all on hand. For legality emails send them to multiple coaches so if someone's phone dies you can still pull it up on another.

Get to the comp early and scope out the venue find the restrooms, water areas, first aid, and score sheet review areas.

In America we have the ability to challenge scoring ranges/deductions after a team competes but you only have about 15 minutes to do so after collecting scoresheets at the scoring tables.

Also have you extra ponytail holders, bobby pins, bow, and a few snacks because I've learned that cheerleaders don't like to eat on comp day and that's not the best idea.

Make sure all of your coaches have ID's on hand, and their backgrounds checks are cleared. Make sure all of the registrations fees are covered before you get to the registration table.

The kids will listen to you, and will sit where you tell them to lol. Even if they say don't have to pee make them try even the older ones.

Lastly most vendors and individuals working the comp will help guide you through the process and should be prepared to answer your questions (because that's their job lol) don't stress it too much.
Thank you so much! This are awesome tips and very practical. But I'm not sure the little ones won't be distracted too much to listen to us coaches ..

Get on your computer and make a roll sheet similar to what teachers use. As your athletes arrive, check them in and once they are checked in they cannot leave. I've found it to be very helpful and seeing as it can sometimes be tough to get the parents to leave and let us start stretching and things (sorry parents, love ya tho)...getting their child "checked in" has started being like a little light in the back of their heads like, "oh, I actually don't have to stand here and watch while 28 other girls stretch". :p

And just like someone already said, make a schedule ahead of time and email it to your team, or print and hand them out. On the schedule we always include meet time, compete time, and awards. We include a section in between the awards that says meet at "X" time to go to awards together, which is normally 30 minutes before awards and has a location to meet at (given that we've been to the comp location before). Although the parents normally keep these and the kids don't usually see them, we rehearse what time we will meet for day two, or what time we will meet for awards so that the kids hold themselves accountable and are not late to meet times.

If you can find it, check out the scoresheet and scoring grids for the competition beforehand. Knowing that grid back-to-front makes it easier to contest a deduction or bad score within the allotted time frame after competing. And to go along with this- there is always a floating judge that will talk to you about the score if you don't understand something on it. Don't be afraid to talk to them, they are there to help you and are usually super nice!

If y'all wear specific makeup and hair, have someone do a sample of it, snap a picture of it and include it in the schedule that you share with the parents/athletes. Some parents need more guidance than others with makeup, hehe. :D

All of my athletes have a big/little sister. They have lots of fun with this and get each other adorable little "good luck" gifts at each comp, but they don't know that it's secretly just a way to keep the team organized. Walking to warmups? Link arms with your sister and walk in a straight line. Need to go to the bathroom and the entire team isn't going together at that moment? Grab your little/big and go together. Plus it's been a great leadership opportunity for my older kids to rub off on the younger ones.

Don't wear the kids out in warmups. I've seen some teams do full outs on the big mat, and then the kids are exhausted. Before we go to warmups we find a quiet place, have the kids that are not stunting spot a stunt group, and warm up each elite stunt one by one. This way if we are pressed for time in warmups they have already essentially warmed up the toughest part of their stunts. When we get on the two-panel mat, we warm up all stunts, usually twice. Rod mat, we count through jumps as a team and obviously the tumblers warm up. And once we get to the big mat, I tell them if anything they just warmed up didn't feel right, do it now.

Overall, just keep the mood light! I like to bring a portable speaker and play music while we stretch, while we walk to warmups, etc. After all, they are just kids, so singing along to a Miley Cyrus song helps them forget they are about to go on stage. :)

I made a laminated packing list for my HS athletes to make sure they bring everything they need to comps, camp, etc.

You may want to do the same?

What level are aerials allowed in? Same question for front handsprings.... I've seen aerials only a few times in a routine from our higher levels and have never seen a front handspring, but a few of our mini 1 girls (in advanced level 2 tumbling) are learning both so I was curious.

Back