All-Star Random Cheerleading Questions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Question, Can a d2 team compete d1 if they choose (i think so?) And if so, does that change if one team in the program has a d2 bid? thanks

Question, Can a d2 team compete d1 if they choose (i think so?) And if so, does that change if one team in the program has a d2 bid? thanks
A D2 gym can choose to be D1 (for a season), but a D1 cannot choose to be D2. I don't believe a team can simply choose to compete "up" at a single event.

I don't believe a team can simply choose to compete "up" at a single event.
Thank you, that is what I was wondering. Was looking at a few competition schedules and noticed one gym competing at both events is listed as D1 for one and D2 for the other. Probably a mistake in the schedule or typo, but will know for sure when the event happens.

Some comps will bump you to D1 (not separate) if there is not any competition or not enough competition (according to their specific competition guidelines) to compete against in your d2 category. Last year d2 small senior r5 teams had to compete as d1 at NCA.

Last edited:
Thank you, that is what I was wondering. Was looking at a few competition schedules and noticed one gym competing at both events is listed as D1 for one and D2 for the other. Probably a mistake in the schedule or typo, but will know for sure when the event happens.
I know Here we have a team that already has their paid bid In d2 so have chosen to compete d1 as there is more competition in their division.

Before this year we were under 125 members but have always competed D1, except for one comp.

Some comps will bump you to D1 (not separate) if there is not any competition or not enough competition (according to their specific competition guidelines) to compete against in your d2 category. Last year d2 small senior r5 teams had to compete as d1 at NCA.
The event in question where they are "out of division" is huge, for sure enough competition to remain D2.
Interesting. I thought that once you declare D1 or D1, you have to remain that designation for the entire season.
I am confused too.

Interesting. I thought that once you declare D1 or D2, you have to remain that designation for the entire season.

According to the rules they are supposed to unless they have a team in an IASF division, which would be allowed to compete at the Summit, as well. Per the website:
Varsity Spirit - The D2 Summit

Can a Division II program receive a bid to The Summit taking place on May 2 – 5th?
Yes, each PROGRAM must declare which bid the WHOLE PROGRAM will be competing for at each event. A PROGRAM cannot compete for a Summit Bid and a D2 Summit Bid at the same event. You MUST declare before that event to which bid your PROGRAM will be competing for. Once a team in a program wins a Summit or D2 Summit Bid, the WHOLE PROGRAM must stay on that Summit Path for the remainder of the season.

Can a Division II team compete at The Summit in the International Division and also compete at the D2 Summit?
Yes, teams can compete in the IASF divisions at The Summit, BUT those athlete will only be allowed to compete on ONE team at the D2 Summit. Please see the crossover rules for additional clarification.

According to the rules they are supposed to unless they have a team in an IASF division, which would be allowed to compete at the Summit, as well. Per the website:
Varsity Spirit - The D2 Summit

Can a Division II program receive a bid to The Summit taking place on May 2 – 5th?
Yes, each PROGRAM must declare which bid the WHOLE PROGRAM will be competing for at each event. A PROGRAM cannot compete for a Summit Bid and a D2 Summit Bid at the same event. You MUST declare before that event to which bid your PROGRAM will be competing for. Once a team in a program wins a Summit or D2 Summit Bid, the WHOLE PROGRAM must stay on that Summit Path for the remainder of the season.

Can a Division II team compete at The Summit in the International Division and also compete at the D2 Summit?
Yes, teams can compete in the IASF divisions at The Summit, BUT those athlete will only be allowed to compete on ONE team at the D2 Summit. Please see the crossover rules for additional clarification.

There's a gym near us who claims they just went over 125 athletes so they are now competing D1 even though they already had several D2 at large bids. Reading that, it sounds like they shouldn't have been able to do that?

There's a gym near us who claims they just went over 125 athletes so they are now competing D1 even though they already had several D2 at large bids. Reading that, it sounds like they shouldn't have been able to do that?
Sounds as if there is confusion somehwere! Either with our interpretation or with (perhaps)a few programs selectively leveling up. When a gym registers for an event isn't their USASF status and eligibility checked somewhere?

Assuming this is correct information it may be that the gym has a half year program and there was more enrollment than expected, thereby increasing their numbers mid season after they received a D2 bid.

Back