All-Star Random Cheerleading Questions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Do any schools actually have a spring floor? We have one at my old high school, it was technically the gymnastic teams. But only a section of it was set up in out auxiliary gym.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I am not aware of any schools in north Texas that have spring floors. Our high school uses a dead floor for all pep rallies which is more than some of the schools in our area. Even our middle school uses a mat. A lot of the schools perform on the gym floor. I can't imagine how they can get away with that.

I am not aware of any schools in north Texas that have spring floors. Our high school uses a dead floor for all pep rallies which is more than some of the schools in our area. Even our middle school uses a mat. A lot of the schools perform on the gym floor. I can't imagine how they can get away with that.
I can't imagine having to perform everything on just a gym floor. We always used a dead floor for pep rallies when we did our full routine. The only time we didn't was when we just did the cheer section.

Do any schools actually have a spring floor? We have one at my old high school, it was technically the gymnastic teams. But only a section of it was set up in out auxiliary gym.

Our school does. We used to share that and a tumble track with our gymnastics team, but then it just became easier to not switch from spring to dead mat at a competition so we just started using our own floor.

Our school does. We used to share that and a tumble track with our gymnastics team, but then it just became easier to not switch from spring to dead mat at a competition so we just started using our own floor.
You had tumble track? That's awesome. The only time we got to use the spring floor was once for tumbling when we got kicked out of our usual gym and had to use theirs.

We had one at my high school, but it was very old school. It was actually wooden planks laid over top of each other, rather than a real spring floor like we use today. I'm sure it was originally from the 80's when there was a gymnastics team. We attended a cheer athletes skills conference there a couple of years ago and they held the level 3 and up tumbling classes there. The all-star kids were disgusted that they had to tumble on that as it wasn't as bouncy as a real sprung floor. The clinic had advertised that there would be one, so they were a little disappointed with the actual set up. For high school though, we pulled the mats down to the gym, since it's only 3 strips wide (2 strips long though for 6 total)

So would love your thoughts... CPs HS team goes to an All-Star gym to practice on a spring floor. But, obviously when they perform it's on the field (turf) or on the basketball court. Is practicing on spring floors good or bad? The reasons cited are: lack of space for practice at school and safer practicing on spring floor. Thoughts? (And no, they do not compete)

So would love your thoughts... CPs HS team goes to an All-Star gym to practice on a spring floor. But, obviously when they perform it's on the field (turf) or on the basketball court. Is practicing on spring floors good or bad? The reasons cited are: lack of space for practice at school and safer practicing on spring floor. Thoughts? (And no, they do not compete)

I would agree that it's safer practicing on a spring floor however my CP said that there is a huge difference in how it feels between the spring floor and dead mat/turf. She has to adjust her tumbling to compensate for the differences. The majority of our HS cheerleaders do competitive cheer so they are used to switching between spring and dead floors.

I personally don't see a difference from switching between the spring and the dead floor. Yeah, there is a difference switching from the spring to the court of course! I don't really see that much difference going from the dead floor to the court or field. But I am afraid to throw some skills on the court that I had a mental block on in the past.

I personally don't see a difference from switching between the spring and the dead floor. Yeah, there is a difference switching from the spring to the court of course! I don't really see that much difference going from the dead floor to the court or field. But I am afraid to throw some skills on the court that I had a mental block on in the past.

I really didn't notice a spring/dead floor difference until I started airborne skills again. I really had to work on improving my form. We have AstroTurf, so it's a lot softer. I don't think I could tumble on real grass. With basketball courts, it really depends on how 'broken in' or what type of floor it is. Sounds silly, but our court is 60 years old, and feels like heaven to tumble on, but new floors and certain woods are awful. I hate airborne tumbling on hard floor unless it's my schools.

With basketball courts, it really depends on how 'broken in' or what type of floor it is.
I so agree with this! The floor at the gym where our women's team plays is so nice! I know it sounds crazy, but it's like softer than my old high school court. But the court where our men's team plays sucks. It's so much harder. I only like doing tucks there because its a killer on the wrist for back handsprings.

I so agree with this! The floor at the gym where our women's team plays is so nice! I know it sounds crazy, but it's like softer than my old high school court. But the court where our men's team plays sucks. It's so much harder. I only like doing tucks there because its a killer on the wrist for back handsprings.

The place we had our Regional basketball games had the rubber floor, and my dad was surprised when I told him it was not fun to tumbling on. I know there are some woodfloors with rubber underneath, so maybe those are the ones with bounce.

The place we had our Regional basketball games had the rubber floor, and my dad was surprised when I told him it was not fun to tumbling on. I know there are some woodfloors with rubber underneath, so maybe those are the ones with bounce.
Hmmm maybe! I know where our men's basketball teams plays they also use that area for hockey too and someone said the reason the floor was so hard had to do with what was under it for the hockey games or something.

I think it's definitely safer for learning stuff (practicing new stunts, getting tumbling, etc) but I wouldn't want to practice on it ALL the time, because you perform on court/turf so you have to be able to throw stuff on it. But I'd much rather learn new stunts on a spring floor than on wood. But I think once you have all your stuff solid you should practice on the wood/turf to get used to it...

Back