All-Star Reach The Beach - Ocean City, Md [4/1-4/2]

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Okay so those who were there. What about these waves for awards?

I have to say it was not a big deal in A/B but in PAC some serious work needs to be done about the awards. Everyone got there at the start time. I had a kid in wave 2 well wave 1 time came and 30 minutes later had not started. No seats because wave 1 and 2 all in there.... perhaps making truly divided award times would have been a better choice for crowd control. There were no seats. Most venues this is a non issue but no standing room in a theater either. MANY years in this sport and this did not feel safe and was probably one of the worst organized award ceremonies I have even been to. Awards in A/B not as bad because people were not trapped in that space but I think they need to take a long look at how big comps are running awards and get some pointers.

I am confident that fire #s were exceeded in the PAC. More than once EPIC staff had to come in and were yelling everyone needs to move for fire code. The problem was their staff were telling people that is where people must stand to get in the VIP viewing area. With the photo staff blocking a portion of the exit (not their fault it was where they were put) to the VIP viewing area it created a massive block to get out. Problems on day 1 not examined and improved for day 2 and could have been improved. The viewing area set up in A/B was not much better and created traffic jams as well. I think they thought making a small front to back process for VIP viewing would improve the view from seats for those seated. The reality is that anyone who wanted to sit near the center would be blocked as people could not move at even a normal pace to get out of or into the VIP area.

I was just generally disappointed. I have been to this venue and this competition before but this just did not meet my expectations.

I have to say it was not a big deal in A/B but in PAC some serious work needs to be done about the awards. Everyone got there at the start time. I had a kid in wave 2 well wave 1 time came and 30 minutes later had not started. No seats because wave 1 and 2 all in there.... perhaps making truly divided award times would have been a better choice for crowd control. There were no seats. Most venues this is a non issue but no standing room in a theater either. MANY years in this sport and this did not feel safe and was probably one of the worst organized award ceremonies I have even been to. Awards in A/B not as bad because people were not trapped in that space but I think they need to take a long look at how big comps are running awards and get some pointers.

I am confident that fire #s were exceeded in the PAC. More than once EPIC staff had to come in and were yelling everyone needs to move for fire code. The problem was their staff were telling people that is where people must stand to get in the VIP viewing area. With the photo staff blocking a portion of the exit (not their fault it was where they were put) to the VIP viewing area it created a massive block to get out. Problems on day 1 not examined and improved for day 2 and could have been improved. The viewing area set up in A/B was not much better and created traffic jams as well. I think they thought making a small front to back process for VIP viewing would improve the view from seats for those seated. The reality is that anyone who wanted to sit near the center would be blocked as people could not move at even a normal pace to get out of or into the VIP area.

I was just generally disappointed. I have been to this venue and this competition before but this just did not meet my expectations.
I agree 100% with everything you said. There were numerous times we were just packed into the hallway of the PAC and could barely breath. People were trying to push their strollers through (not to be rude but strollers shouldn't have been allowed in the PAC. There just wasn't enough room. they were parked along the front wall blocking the pathway) People were saving seats in the PAC and wouldn't let people sit to watch their own teams. I watched my CP and left immediately. It was just awful. The awards was just as bad. We had to literally fight to get through the crowd of teams also being ushered in through the same hallway. They tried the left to right flow but it didn't work. I'm all for them looking for another venue entirely for this comp. It's obviously outgrown this convention center.

@Mom2Cheergirls awards in PAC were crazy I agree. Us coaches almost had an anxiety attack multiple times back there trying to navigate through hundreds of kids. Should be able to successfully exit the stage there was a sea of spectators that were impossible to get through (not their fault at all). We were literally trapped inside PAC. We also were not a fan of the concept of continuing to have high score of session teams keep coming back. Like just tell them they're in the running for level champ and come back at 9:15. My heart broke for those adorable little Jersey Pride Dandies. They won in the 11:00am awards and Epic had them come back to five other ceremonies all the way up to the 9:15 awards that's started almost 45 minutes late. Got my blood boiling seeing those babies look so confused after being dragged through 11 hours of awards and then not winning anything. I wasn't upset they didn't win. They were just so young you could tell they didn't get why they kept coming to awards and then...nothing. So while we had a great time I agree the Awards process needs a serious overhaul!

@Mom2Cheergirls awards in PAC were crazy I agree. Us coaches almost had an anxiety attack multiple times back there trying to navigate through hundreds of kids. Should be able to successfully exit the stage there was a sea of spectators that were impossible to get through (not their fault at all). We were literally trapped inside PAC. We also were not a fan of the concept of continuing to have high score of session teams keep coming back. Like just tell them they're in the running for level champ and come back at 9:15. My heart broke for those adorable little Jersey Pride Dandies. They won in the 11:00am awards and Epic had them come back to five other ceremonies all the way up to the 9:15 awards that's started almost 45 minutes late. Got my blood boiling seeing those babies look so confused after being dragged through 11 hours of awards and then not winning anything. I wasn't upset they didn't win. They were just so young you could tell they didn't get why they kept coming to awards and then...nothing. So while we had a great time I agree the Awards process needs a serious overhaul!
I also feel that they should have done the world's bids earlier. Like as soon as the world's division was over. Some of those athletes competed at 10 am then had to be back at 10pm for awards. That was crazy!

I also feel that they should have done the world's bids earlier. Like as soon as the world's division was over. Some of those athletes competed at 10 am then had to be back at 10pm for awards. That was crazy!

It was obnoxious. The last worlds team competed at 3:30. We let our whole team go (they had a 9 hour drive home), and only had two coaches and an athlete left at awards to accept our worlds bid. I basically slept and then had to make myself presentable again to come back 6 hours later.

It was so weird and not the best situation in PAC to sit in chairs for VIP area.

Yes I saw them in their second set and they were so excited and beyond adorable. The parents at that point were excited to (one of the moms accidentally punched a dad HARD when she threw her hands in the air excited to hear they were continuing... don't think they knew how long that continuing would go on). I assumed that meant they would be done after that set that makes me irate for those sweet little girls they had to stay that long.

They tried the left to right flow but it didn't work. I'm all for them looking for another venue entirely for this comp. It's obviously outgrown this convention center.

Yes the left to right flow did not take into account that for the top floor you had to enter from both sides to get seats as there was no pathway except through the seats or entering on that side.

Love OC but yes this event has outgrown this venue. Even with several Reach the Beach events now. All I can think to keep it here is they have one already for rec and one now for dance if they plan to keep it here perhaps have a separate for D2??? Not a great solution but the only way I can see it staying in this space.

The last time I attended this competition was about 10 years ago and awards were dangerously overcrowded then. It was downright scary and was the only thing I didn't love about the competition. Crazy that they haven't addressed the issue after all these years!

The rotational seating in PAC is ridiculous. It was the same way last year. People were sitting there from other teams leaving no room for our parents. I hate that in PAC you can't stand to cheer for your team. In AB you can jump around like a crazy person. It has definitely outgrown that venue.

Back