All-Star Rebel Takes On Goliath

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Like I've stated before, I'm not anti-Varsity. They saw an opportunity and went for it. Isn't that what many call the American Dream?!?

I just want to call a spade a spade.

Kudos for building something and influencing an activity my CP loves. Just be realistic with what it is. I've been in business for decades, and involved with numerous organizations to know there's always an underbelly to it. It's just the reality of the matter.

As long as my kids are safe, and having fun I'm not complaining. However, that won't stop me for enjoying a healthy discussion. No reason to be fearful if nobody has done anything wrong or has anything to hide.
Off topic, sorry. After all this time I just realized that your username is CookieMoMster and not CookieMoNster and I absolutely love it.
Carry on...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Like I've stated before, I'm not anti-Varsity. They saw an opportunity and went for it. Isn't that what many call the American Dream?!?

I just want to call a spade a spade.

Kudos for building something and influencing an activity my CP loves. Just be realistic with what it is. I've been in business for decades, and involved with numerous organizations to know there's always an underbelly to it. It's just the reality of the matter.

As long as my kids are safe, and having fun I'm not complaining. However, that won't stop me for enjoying a healthy discussion. No reason to be fearful if nobody has done anything wrong or has anything to hide.
I wonder if this is the reason that so many people label Varsity criticizers as tin foil hat-wearing kooks. I am not anti Varsity either (they have proven to be an excellent vendor over the years), but I will always call out shadiness when I see it. We're not some crazy shrews clustered in the darkness, feverishly gnawing at our nails and muttering crazy things. People that criticize and question trusted parties should not be stigmatized.

It's beyond apparel. Varsity has their fingers and influences everything cheer related. They are cheer! They've either funded or are part of running almost every governing board for cheer. (see links below). No other company or organization has the sort of reach. They are the ICU (International Cheer Union). What other sport is run by a for-profit body (that is also trying to get into the Olympics)? They have almost majority rule on the USASF BOG (board of governors), and cheer safety committees. They dictate the activity, policies, and rulings. You can't tell me that isn't a conflict of interest. Of course, they're going to rule in their best interest. They're also one of the reasons cheer isn't classified as a sport (see link 4th paragraph). If that were to happen they would lose their empire and have to play by sport rules and sell off some of their division because of a conflict of interest.

They even provide the insurance coverage required for cheer.

All one has to do it go onto their main website and scroll down to the bottom to see the subsidiaries of Varsity including camps, competitions, service companies and more.

You can't tell me that with their 1.2 billion empire they don't run and have a monopoly on cheer?!?

Out of 18 spots on the USASF board - 7 are held by Varsity and Varsity divisions. USASF Board Listing

AACCA is Varsity and shares the very same mailing address.

ICU (Internatioanl Cheer Union) is Varsity. Their contact person Sheila Noon is listed for both Varsity PR and also ICU contact lists. Varsity Link ICU Link

USA Cheer & Varsity have the exact same mailing address! USA Cheer used to be headed up by Varsity VP Bill Seely.

STUNT - was created by Varsity

The list goes on and on. No wonder it'll never be a sport. Cheer is a business - an industry.

ETA: Every fact is hyperlinked with a source. Oh, and...Baazinga!

My favorite thing is Varsity filing a lawsuit to try and block NCATA which is in competition with STUNT.

It now has more participants than STUNT.

Just to add to this I remember an episode from Leverage about a tyrannical monopolizing cheer company. Sounded very similar to the way some people see varsity [emoji276]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ridiculous! If that isn't tyranny, I don't know what is.

In less than 20 years, there will be nothing left but Varsity. At least that's how my pessimistic side feels. People keep falling for their bait.

I think the most disturbing thing is that they own insurance companies.
Varsity does not own Mutual of Omaha.

I previously decided against spending the time to post the things I found when researching Varsity's business practices. But one who is fairly "Google savvy" can find many, many lawsuits filed by Varsity against competing cheer uniform companies. Their most recent lawsuit, which is ongoing, is over another company having similar-to-Varsity's uniform patterns in their catalog. And we aren't talking about graphics or even original designs (Varsity does NOT claim the designs they copyrighted were original). They are sueing because this other company used stripes and color blocks on SCHOOL cheer uniforms making them look similar to the copyrighted Varsity school cheer uniforms...

yes but forces outside of the cheer world have petitioned the court with an amicus brief on behalf of defendant as the outcome of this case reaches beyond the cheerleading uniform industry:
Public Knowledge and Costumers File Amicus Brief at Supreme Court - Public Knowledge

Just to add to this I remember an episode from Leverage about a tyrannical monopolizing cheer company. Sounded very similar to the way some people see varsity [emoji276]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember that one! I was thinking the same thing.

We aren't the only people who find Varsity to be a bit...sketchy in some of their dealings. Penn and Teller had a T.V. show that scrutinized a bunch of different topics. Varsity was one of them.
I saw it! As well as the Leverage episode. The senator lady pissed me off.

And I misread the insurance thing... whoops. But still scary.

Last edited:
. What about college nationals. If you look at their eligibility section online, it states you may not attend any other event promoted as a national/international championship. They already dominate the college national scene, this eligibility requirement seems kind of exploitive/predatory to me and sets up a barrier to entry for a competitor that might want to start a college national.

Since you quoted me, I quoted on page 4 to randomactsofcheer:
"...College (probably most product and camps)...."

Here's a question for discussion that ties into what you said: On the boards we often talk about the quantity and quality of National titles, how the sheer quantity have made them meaningless and how we need a universal scoring format in cheer. How does All Star, Stunt or College get to that place where there is a universal scoring format, the "sport" translates across lines, and they have one or fewer National titles per category or "league" if they don't at some point come together? My kids have been in AS long enough to attend some very good mom and pop's and Non-Varsity events but, with that said, the scoring wasn't really helpful to the coaches when they went to a different brand comp. How does cheer get to the point they have universal scoring, translating across different "leagues" and fewer titles? Or, do we really want cheer to go there? If we do, then how does cheer get there without making changes that some people won't either like or be willing to comply?

Since you quoted me, I quoted on page 4 to randomactsofcheer:
"...College (probably most product and camps)...."

Here's a question for discussion that ties into what you said: On the boards we often talk about the quantity and quality of National titles, how the sheer quantity have made them meaningless and how we need a universal scoring format in cheer. How does All Star, Stunt or College get to that place where there is a universal scoring format, the "sport" translates across lines, and they have one or fewer National titles per category or "league" if they don't at some point come together? My kids have been in AS long enough to attend some very good mom and pop's and Non-Varsity events but, with that said, the scoring wasn't really helpful to the coaches when they went to a different brand comp. How does cheer get to the point they have universal scoring, translating across different "leagues" and fewer titles? Or, do we really want cheer to go there? If we do, then how does cheer get there without making changes that some people won't either like or be willing to comply?
This doesn't address what I pointed out, this brings up a separate question.

I still don't understand how Varsity is getting away with this. It seems to me that Varsity is violating anti-trust laws. Maybe there is an attorney on the boards that can clarify this? There is nothing wrong with Varsity owning a 90% of the "cheer market," but they are in complete control of the price of the products in the market and buying out and then closing competing businesses. I am sure acquiring its largest competitor was Varsity's main motivation for acquiring Jam Brands, and being able to push Rebel (their largest uniform rival) off of the Jam Brands stage at the same time was the icing on the cake.

I don't have any problem with Varsity products, but I would like to have other options. Options make better prices and quality.

I have to say that I find the owner of Rebel's drive incredibly inspirational. She seems like a worthy opponent of Varsity.

i think there are other options. but you have to buy from those other companies in order for them to survive to keep giving you options. it is amazing how many people see stuff they like and then show the new items to their varsity rep and ask them if they can make it. varsity doesn't innovate. classical sign of a monopoly. they dominate. but the masses simply aren't clamoring for someone to come in and rock the boat. they are willing to watch the new products come out and then they wait for varsity to copy them. how does this inspire the smaller companies to innovate?

i think there are other options. but you have to buy from those other companies in order for them to survive to keep giving you options. it is amazing how many people see stuff they like and then show the new items to their varsity rep and ask them if they can make it. varsity doesn't innovate. classical sign of a monopoly. they dominate. but the masses simply aren't clamoring for someone to come in and rock the boat. they are willing to watch the new products come out and then they wait for varsity to copy them. how does this inspire the smaller companies to innovate?
I get your point and frustrations, but couldn't your company do the same?

Edit: after further research, you guys did do that same thing you're ranting about. Correct me if I am wrong but you were Cheer Stix the thunder stick company, and then added team (gymnastics and cheerleading apparel) once you saw the demand for sublimated product in a team format.

The internet never forgets: Something to cheer about | Business | bakersfield.com

Last edited:
Back