Rec Rules For Age/grade

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 9, 2012
Ok, so I was at a competition yesterday. Apparently a few teams that's team competes against have freshman on them. My team is 10-14 ... We compete UCA and the rules state 14 an under. However no grade is stated. So we are competing against teams that have 14 year old freshman , Who may already be 15 but... Bc it goes by age as of aug 1 of the current season/ year. I have an issue with this. Grrrr anyone else have issues with rec cheer rules and loopholes that seem unfair? Just asking?

In UCA Rules it states HIgh School freshmans are aloud on the team as long as a mjaority are not in high school.
Please show me this?? I have never seen this.. It states 14 and under by August 1 ... If u are 15 on July 31 u are illegal.. Please attach the UCA rules that state abt freshman please.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Please show me this?? I have never seen this.. It states 14 and under by August 1 ... If u are 15 on July 31 u are illegal.. Please attach the UCA rules that state abt freshman please.

Blake please see below:

GENERAL RULES:
A. PERFORMANCE ROUTINE DIVISIONS
1. SCHOOL DIVISIONS
Junior High Divisions (9th grade & below):
Small Junior High - 5-16 members
Large Junior High – 17-25 members
Junior High teams may include 9th grade participants IF (1) the school represented includes a 9th grade class AND (2) a minority of the team are 9th graders. Junior High teams with a majority of 9th graders would compete as a Junior Varsity.

This is of school division not rec.. See rec below :

YOUTH/RECREATIONAL DIVISIONS
Youth / Recreational Divisions:
Pee Wee Rec – 5-35 members – 7 yrs & younger
Youth Rec – 5-35 members – 9 yrs & younger
Junior Rec – 5-35 members -12 yrs & younger
Senior Rec – 5-35 members – 14 yrs & younger
Teams with a school affiliation may compete in the youth recreational division, only if at least half of the participants are in the 6th grade or younger. Teams with a school affiliation that have a majority of 7th and 8th graders must compete in the junior high division.
a. These divisions were created for teams whose main purpose
is cheering for and supporting a recreational team (i.e. youth football, pee wee sports, community sport teams, etc.) Competitive only youth programs are considered an all star program, and must compete as an all star team and follow all star rules and regulations.
b. Youth divisions are determined by the age of the oldest team member.
c. See additional skill restrictions for these divisions ( XI Safety Rules Section I)
d. The competitor’s age on August 1, 2012 shall be the competitor’s age through the National High School Cheerleading Championship in February 2013.

Just wanted to show you that you were correct for the school division not rec

Just wanted to show you that you were correct for the school division not rec

Sorry, had to delete a lot to answer on my phone...

You were competing in the rec division, right? So it goes by age as of Aug 1, 2012, right? So what is preventing that team of ninth graders from being in the correct rec age division? All of my kids will have just turned 14 right before the Aug 1 of their 9th grade year, thus eligible for the division as ninth graders. I'm not following how this is wrong or cheating?

Bc rec.. As defined by UCA is a team that cheers for a sport like football. Usually non profit and coaches are not paid... This team is a middle school team that is school affiliated and has a paid coach... They are not rec.. They are school funded, however the teams in the middle school division are fierce... So I'm sure they felt rec was easier. I just don't like when a team takes 15 year old that are already 15 ... It is a whole year of developing that others don't have. IMO... That's all.

Back