OT Recipes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

Ren

May 2, 2012
Hi Fierceboarders :)
I know many of you are good with food/recipes/healthy eating so thought I'd ask.
My mum had a stroke a few days ago and it turns out she has high blood pressure and high cholesterol (although she isn't overweight). We've bought all the "lower your cholesterol" products (not sure if you have something similar in the US but here it's mainly Flora and Benecol) and I'm checking all the labels of food for fats, sat fats and sodium/salt. I was just wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience and had any advice for things to look out for/healthy substitutes/tasty recipes which are good for you (the ultimate challenge!) She especially loved creamy sauces/desserts (which she obviously can't have any more) so any ideas would be greatly apreciated!
Thanks

Hi Fierceboarders :)
I know many of you are good with food/recipes/healthy eating so thought I'd ask.
My mum had a stroke a few days ago and it turns out she has high blood pressure and high cholesterol (although she isn't overweight). We've bought all the "lower your cholesterol" products (not sure if you have something similar in the US but here it's mainly Flora and Benecol) and I'm checking all the labels of food for fats, sat fats and sodium/salt. I was just wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience and had any advice for things to look out for/healthy substitutes/tasty recipes which are good for you (the ultimate challenge!) She especially loved creamy sauces/desserts (which she obviously can't have any more) so any ideas would be greatly apreciated!
Thanks

I haven't had that same experience but have always tried to feed my family pretty healthy. So many name brand food items now come in 25% less sodium so check for that alternative before you buy anything. If you buy canned veggies they usually have a no salt added variety and even if they don't I have read that rinsing them with water reduces sodium by 50%. We have been using lite salt for years. You can't tell the difference. Here is something my kids love for dessert. Peel and core an apple, put it in a bowl with 2 teaspoons of water and microwave for 3 min. or until it's soft. Sprinkle cinnamon on top. They love it. Hope she gets and stays well!

Reactions: Ren
I haven't had that same experience but have always tried to feed my family pretty healthy. So many name brand food items now come in 25% less sodium so check for that alternative before you buy anything. If you buy canned veggies they usually have a no salt added variety and even if they don't I have read that rinsing them with water reduces sodium by 50%. We have been using lite salt for years. You can't tell the difference. Here is something my kids love for dessert. Peel and core an apple, put it in a bowl with 2 teaspoons of water and microwave for 3 min. or until it's soft. Sprinkle cinnamon on top. They love it. Hope she gets and stays well!

Thanks! We've bought the lo-salt but I'll definitely rinse any canned stuff we use. The apples sound great- will try them tonight!

Latest posts

Back