Regional Summit?

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by DonnaM, May 11, 2020.

1. DonnaM

DonnaM I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Varsity Spirit - The Regionals Summits

Just saw this on Varsity's Twitter. So it sounds like youth teams are out of the big Summit, regional summits pretty much are US finals for All Star (and the end of the road for tiny, mini, and youth), and US finals are for prep/Novice/rec? Do I have that right?

2. luv2cheer92

luv2cheer92 Moderator Staff Member Bracket Winner Video Curator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Sounds right. Got to say that I'm very happy (though a little surprised) that they took Youth out of the "big" Summit.

• Shimmy Shimmy x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Bella's mom

Bella's mom I make my own voiceovers

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    Mugglenurse
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    It says all ages and levels for regional summit. I’m confused. Are they only having regional summits? Or will there also be the normal summit in orlando?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Bella's mom

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    Mugglenurse
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Nevermind, I found the right info on their website

5. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I think these events actually replace Big Summit as Varsity's answer to athlete's potential inability to air travel to Disney?

I don't think they are planning to hold Summit as we've known it.

6. Bella's mom

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    Mugglenurse
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    It still shows summit and D2 information for next year on the website. It’s confusing on how this is going to work. Plus regional? Yuck. We liked to go against the best to prove we are the best. This makes it feel like just another “national” champion competition

7. Lower Level Queen

Lower Level Queen They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but they basically just split US Finals into two events (prep/novice and everybody else)?

Also I've been hoping they would take youth teams out of Summit for a while, so I'm glad they did. I was surprised at first, but in a way it seems like this could've been part of a long-term plan. The last two years they lowered the number of youth teams by not awarding bids by age group, so maybe they were testing the idea?

8. luv2cheer92

luv2cheer92 Moderator Staff Member Bracket Winner Video Curator

Shimmys Received:
    Web:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    This season's was ready cancelled. This is all for next season, unless I'm understanding it all wrong. There will still be a big Summit for Junior and Senior teams. The regional Summits will be for all ages.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Shimmy Shimmy x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. oncecoolcoachnowmom

oncecoolcoachnowmom Bestest Newbie '14

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I wonder why they didn't just add Youth and Minis to that Quest (national) event (that is currently just youth rec) instead of creating a whole new set of regionals?

10. DonnaM

DonnaM I named my pet Sir Fierce-a-lot

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    The closest regional to us is where we often do one of our first big comps of the season. It's not going to feel terribly special to go to Summit there, especially for some of our youth-age kids who went last season (and would have gone this season). I anticipate a lot of pressure from parents to get their kids on a junior team.

And I do wonder about Quest, since it looks like US finals now includes rec.

11. CLynn

CLynn Best Flyer.. on a parent team

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    This is a step in the right direction for me. Some of these ideas have been tossed around/debated in the past so I wonder how much of this would have happened anyway or are the changes largely a Covid-19 response to provide a regional option for next year?

Editing to add: I am going on the premise that having the competition be more local will also be less expensive, which is a major positive to me.

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  12. tuckxandxtwist

tuckxandxtwist Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Gym Owner
    We would have had this problem without the regional summit, because our "regional" US finals falls on the same weekend as Summit next year, but i've just realized how much of a logistical issue it could cause--coaches, parents, crossover athletes having to choose between kids/teams to choose their location/competition of choice that weekend (provided they had a bid to both). I wish they could NOT hold any events the weekends of Summit, especially if they're branding this also as a Summit option.

13. Atxmom

Atxmom They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Ours is literally down the road. Less of a drive than to get to our gym. Not sure how my daughter will feel about that.

14. ImAChauffeuse

ImAChauffeuse They call me Susie

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Will teams be able to participate in both a regional summit and big summit? Will bids be awarded at other comps for either regional or big summit or both (this would also affect how much a competition can get away with charging participants). Would gyms need to decide early on which teams will be regional only and which ones will chase big Summit bids? Can teams decide last minute to do a regional if they are getting to the end of the season without a big summit bid? It sounds like there is still a lot to work out.

15. cheerbowgirl101

cheerbowgirl101 Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete
    I won US Finals on a junior team several years back. For anyone upset or wondering if they/their kid will get a true “national champion” feeling...YES!! I have never been to Summit, but winning US Finals felt all the same to me. It was super fun and I got a nice shiny medal and white jacket :)

• Shimmy Shimmy x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • List