All-Star Releasing Athletes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Thank you, where could I find this? I've been looking and can't find anything on enforcement of non-safety rules.

You were asking "who will enforce the rule", and I gave my opinion on who should enforce it and what the punishments should be.

Does anyone else think this rule will cause lawsuits?

I think it will. Yes some coaches will not want to release some athletes to go to their competition so to speak. I can definitely see some issues there. Yet also for every legitimate issue that can be raised there will be 2 or 3 Suzies (and their parents) mad because they are not point flyer and seeking to bounce between programs to see which one will give them what they want. There will be parents who owe the gym money but refuse to bring their accounts in good standing to leave.
Going to court might be the only way to resolve all issues not just the ones put out there.

Once you have mandatory athlete registration, it would be fairly straightforward for event producers to enforce such a rule.

And if they instituted barcoded athlete ID cards, a swipe of a card would tell you which a gym an athlete is affiliated with and what their level is.

At ACA they made a big announcement about how starting next season all athletes have to be registered with the USASF or they won't be able to compete at USASF sanctioned events. The kids get a monthly magazine and they are going to have all sorts of neat drawings for them. The rep talked about how they are doing this to prevent age abuse in the levels (didn't know it was a problem), and I'm guessing to track crossovers.
As for the actual topic of the thread, it makes sense to me that if we want to be legitimized as a sport we have to get rid of "Susie syndrome" and the psycho cheer mom image we have. This will be a step in the right direction. Now parents will not be able to pull their kids for bogus reasons and slink off into the night, they'll actually have to face the owners and do it properly. It will really make people stop and think before they bail on a gym midseason. My oldest did swimming and when we moved she had to be released from her previous club and then couldn't compete representing her new club for 3 months.
On the other hand there has to be a system of checks and balances in place so desperate gym owners that don't want to lose their only double full to a bigger gym can't block a release. The USASF will have to put something in place so that parents can plead their case so that the USASF can release the child from the gym if need be.

I see both sides of the situation. I understand if someone was completely unhappy at their current gym and see this new place as some kind of escape, and as somewhere they are welcome. BUTTTT what if say, Senior Elite, lost 10 girls from the team and needed someone last minute to join and they pulled the best of the best tumblers and stunters from different gyms to join their worlds team to make it even more talented than it is. I feel like the rule has a lot to do with controlling that kind of stuff. Preventing people from switching gyms just to be on a world's team or something. i'm sort of on the fence about it.

Thank you Rudags that def helps. I am still looking for something that clearly lines out what will go on next year for ALL levels. As I mentioned previously my gym did not get their USASF cards until 2 months AFTER Worlds. I would like for USASF to say if your not registered through them then you can't compete at their event AND if your an EVENT and don't follow the rules then YOU CAN'T give BIDS. I just don't know how they (USASF) are going to track the 200k+ kids involved in our sport. I hope they can and I want to do all I can to support it. I just think on this is ONE that "loopholes" CAN NOT EXIST.

I think this is great rule and actually this type of rule exists in many other organized competitive sports/activities. I know over across the way in the UK, Disco Dancing is as hot as all star cheer is here and they have the same Susie drama problems and instituted the same rule and it has worked wonders. I believe competitive Irish Dancing also has this rule as well.
I'm sure there will be a grievence procedure as far as someone wanting to leave a gym out of legit safety of their child or a major qualm with a coach.

Back