OT Remembering What Really Matters....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

12stepCheermom

Best Parent and Grammar Teacher '14
Cheer Parent
May 10, 2011
We have a lot of freedom to start cat fights, choose gyms, change coaches, pick competitions, drive wherever we like, choose hotels, flights, go to other teams and generally mix it up on the fierce board by saying WHATEVER we like with our only fear being banned for a bit where we can walk to Walmart and continue to say whatever we like.

We're one of the elite few on this planet that have the set of freedoms that we have and that's entirely due to generations of American soldiers who have chosen to give their own lives so we can live as we do.

Today please remember in your barbecues and beach trips the men and women who aren't attending and their families who have an empty chair at the table. Families like Nic O'Briens who are spending their memorial day with Nic at Arlington National Cemetary where he was laid to rest just under a year ago. Just a few days after his 21st birthday, this marine gave his life in Afghanistan and returned home to a heroes welcome he couldn't enjoy (literally thousands of us lined the streets from the Charlotte airport to the church for his memorial service before he was flown back to Arlington) and although his services were on Westboro Baptist Churches website to protest, even they stayed away from the amazing crowd along 17 miles of roadway.

Thank you Nic for your sacrifice and to the O'Brien family that continues to sacrifice everyday.

Happy Memorial Day.

Thank you for this reminder of the selflessness of those who choose to wear our country's uniform. Once they choose that path, they give up some of the very freedoms we so easily take for granted. I think I'll quit my job tomorrow and move to ___________, -- not when in the military. Of course I'll be at my child's birth/ballgame/competition/graduation -- not if you are deployed for who knows how long. And those who have joined the military in the last two decades KNEW in all probability they would have at least one deployment to the Middle East, and still they signed up. In all honesty, I hope none of my children join the military (though all 3 have talked about it at one time or another). But that is an exceedingly selfish mother talking, I don't want my child in harm's way ---- just like every other mother whose child DID make that decision, and too many of those children have made the ultimate sacrifice. God Bless our military men and women.

I am so thankful for everything they do. A few of my close friends were deployed this past year and they did it selflessly and willingly. One of them turned 20 in Afghanistan, imagine spending your birthday there (and being deployed at 19). Thank you everyone past and present for your service to our country!!!!! :kiss:

I am very happy to say that my oldest son has enlisted in the United States Air Force and is just now waiting for his assignment and will begin Boot Camp as soon as his Job Assignment becomes available, probably within the next 2 months, and I couldn't be prouder that he has chosen this as his path in life. I believe that he will do what he needs to do for our Country, whether that entails going overseas or protecting our homeland here. Am I worried about him risking his life for his country? Of course I am, but I believe that he is in God's hands and with the right training and expertise from the Air Force, he will be safe!!

Back