All-Star Replacing Athletes With New Athletes...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I would say of all the athletes that have gone there you're going to have some parents who have bad experiences, and for all of the others there were no "concerns". CEA doesn't force kids to do 3 teams, but you don't get to pick and choose which one you drop. It's pretty clear that was part of the issue here.
All of this is based on stories I have read from parents in the program. I have no first hand knowledge of what they do or don't do, but I have read several accounts of people whose children spent time in the program.

Cutting kids is really not even my problem with this. It's the gym's prerogative to cut anyone they feel isn't carrying their weight. My problem is the verbal abuse, and the way the cut was handled. I hear about that out of this place with enough regularity for it to be concerning.

As far as the 3 teams thing, I get the impression that the pressure is applied in the form of "If your junior aged child wants a spot on a worlds team, they will also be doing J5", or "want that youth 5 spot? you will be doing youth 3 too" Not direct pressure, but if you want the top spots you play the game.

Basically the impression I am getting from what I hear is that as long as your child is doing their job you wont have a problem, but the minute they block, or start struggling in another way, the abuse starts and it gets ugly quickly.

I'm sure that's true.

But I don't care what your reason/situation is for replacing a kid - that is NEVER news that should come from a team parent or via text. As unpleasant as it might be, the COACH or the OWNER needs to meet with the athlete and/or parent and explain the situation. The amount of unprofessionalism from a team parent text is ridiculous.
I would almost always agree, but it was at a competition and they needed to be with the rest of the team.

I would almost always agree, but it was at a competition and they needed to be with the rest of the team.

I stand by my "never" statement. Someone is available to take two minutes to discuss the situation with the athlete, even if you have to talk to the parent separately afterwards. And it's not like they didn't know what they were planning on doing, that would not of been a last-minute decision. So at some point prior to competing they could've found the time to discuss it, whether the night before or bright and early that morning. By having a team parent doing it, it's almost like you're feeding drama and gossip.

It shouldn't have happened at a competition. This decision should have been made before they left, and IF exceptional circumstances warranted it, a phone call to the parent in question would not have prevented them from being with their team. It would have taken 30 seconds to call her and say "hey ,we are pulling Sally because she couldn't throw her tumbling on day 1." I don't see how they couldn't have known the night of day 1 they were going to pull her, and they had to have notified the fill in at some point prior to the child getting to warmups. Why not call the parent then?? They had plenty of opportunity to handle it themselves, but chose to let the team parent do it. That is unprofessional.

On the flip side, I believe that the change should never be made unless they've had the time to talk with the parent/child. You can't tell me that the coaches decided in 30 seconds during the 15 minutes of warm ups to replace this child. Or maybe they did, but then it's even more appalling that they took such a big decision so lightly. The child was backstage and even SHE didn't know she was being replaced. There's never a situation in which that's okay.

I would say of all the athletes that have gone there you're going to have some parents who have bad experiences, and for all of the others there were no "concerns". CEA doesn't force kids to do 3 teams, but you don't get to pick and choose which one you drop. It's pretty clear that was part of the issue here.

It's obvious on the boards that the majority have been, and are, very happy with the gym and coaches. And, no doubt, there are several perspectives on the pros and cons of putting kids on several teams. The benefits can be cross training and providing opportunities to athletes they generally wouldn't have. The cons can be enticing kids to be on teams they wouldn't necessarily stay on if the carrot weren't dangled for sandbagging purposes.

It's life and coaches are human too but, there was a better way for it to be handled. It only takes a moment to say, "I put someone else in because the compete times were so close," then talk later in private.

Tbis may be an unpopular opinion, but there are 2 sides to every story. We are only hearing one, and everyone involved should share some of the blame.

It's true that there are three sides to every story. His, hers and the truth.

I made my share of errors with the situation and I feel like I've been forthcoming about them.

My intent in posting was not to defame any gym or person but to add our experience to an ongoing discussion (that's why I didn't name them), because it was relevant. If I had wanted to blast the gym, I would have done that in a separate post a month ago when the incident took place.

Last edited:
I don't mind that the notification was made to me by the team mom. That's the means of communication that this gym uses. That part didn't bother me.

My concerns were:

It was well established that she was blocking. There should have been no surprise when she blocked at Cheersport.

She had already been removed for NCA. If the block wasn't going to be okay at other competitons then she should have been removed from those in advance too.

The team was ahead by over 4 points on day 1. Removing her was not crucial in order to win.

I spoke with the coach after day 1. If she planned to remove my daughter, she could have told me then.

There were probably close to 24 hours after that conversation in which I could have been contacted and told my child properly what was taking place. That didn't happen.

The replacement was made aware of the potential need for her on the night of day 1. I could just as easily have been made aware.

The fact is, my daughter was replaced because I pissed someone off by speaking up. Which is the precise reason that parents don't speak up about other issues in that gym. I wasn't given any notice because two other teams were counting on her tumbling and they were afraid we wouldn't show (which by the way we would NEVER do).

My intent in posting was not to defame any gym or person but to add our experience to an ongoing discussion (that's why I didn't name them), because it was relevant. If I had wanted to blast the gym, I would have done that in a separate post a month ago when the incident took place.
You named the gym loud and clear. I am sorry you had a bad experience there and at the other gym you went to and left in one sesson. I hope you find the right place for your daughter!

You named the gym loud and clear. I am sorry you had a bad experience there and at the other gym you went to and left in one sesson. I hope you find the right place for your daughter!

I didn't name the gym. And we had an excellent experience at the gym we went to and left (in two months). In fact we should have stayed there.

I believe you 110% peachy. The same story happens all the time there. Only a few dare to speak up about it. And, as per usual they are, and will, be attacked by the kool aid drinkers and their friends. As seen already.

I knew the risk when I posted. It's all good,

Tbis may be an unpopular opinion, but there are 2 sides to every story. We are only hearing one, and everyone involved should share some of the blame.

This is true. Thanks!

I would almost like to hear someone from that team respond to this so we could have another perspective.

I'd love for someone to tell us we have it all wrong!

Latest posts

Back