Replacing Athletes With New Athletes...

Discussion in 'Allstar Cheerleading' started by Cheer Dad, Jul 28, 2014.

1. CoachTamara

CoachTamara Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    Twitter:
    tamaraerdes
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Good to know!

This came from a gym owner directly, who was complaining that if they didn't do XYZ they would no longer get free crossover perks at their competitions. This was a few years ago, so things may have changed (although that's probably more of a wish than a reality).

2. tealandgold

tealandgold Cheer Stalker

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    @justpeachy I'm glad you shared your story because I have a feeling this happens more often than we hear about. Hopefully a coach or a gym owner will read your story and it will remind them that while they may be trying to do what is best for the team, they also need to realize that the team is made up of individual athletes who have feelings. There is just no excuse for that type of mental abuse to a child by an adult coach, not even a jacket.

3. Cheermom1969

Cheermom1969 Hiding from the Beygency. . .best GIFs/Memes

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Since you said we could ask questions, I have two:
    Was the athlete told she was being replaced day 2 in warm ups/as the team was taking the stage?

And was the mom told by you in a text as the team was in warm ups/taking the stage?

4. cheer25mom

cheer25mom Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    @Dani-j

I have one question too. If you don't want to answer its ok. You say you would never walk away from a role as team parent over having to deliver bad news. All discussion about when they were informed aside (because I understand that there is a dispute as to whether that is what happened here), do you really think its ok to expect a team parent to tell a kid or their parent they have been pulled off the mat with no communication directly from the coach about it?

5. Dani-j

Dani-j I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    The coach let the athlete know after day one. The coach also had a conversation with the parent after day one. (I was not present during the conversation) When the mother text me Day 2, I responded to her text.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. SL&AM

SL&AM Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Were you present for either conversation that took place on day 1? The one with the athlete? Since you said you weren't there when the conversation with the parent took place.

7. Dani-j

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I think it depends on the situation.

8. Cheermom1969

Cheermom1969 Hiding from the Beygency. . .best GIFs/Memes

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Ok. I guess there's the point of disagreement with you and the parent. Everything else isn't really the point for me anyway. It's whether this child and her mother weren't told until the last second.

And I'm a team mom who probably has a lot of the same roles you do. I know you were put in a difficult situation.

9. Dani-j

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Yes

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. FamousxMindset

FamousxMindset Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    As a coach you are responsible for making the team successful at the end of the day this includes winning, as well as teaching them important but sometimes tougher life lessons. We have to teach them how to lose AND win graciously, we have to teach them accountability for themselves and others. I explain to my kids on a daily basis that everybody has a job, and every job is different for each person. When these kids become adults and they fail to perform in their professional life they won't have that role or job for too much longer.

Accountability is vital, even my 7 year olds eventually start to grasp the concept. "Karli why did you fall? Because I didn't replace my foot. Correct, what should you do differently for day 2? Replace." it's the same concept. She realized momentarily she didn't do her job and that resulted in a deduction.

I know this is mostly a parent driven forum so my post will be most likely be casted in a negative light and thats fine but we have to protect our 25 kids and sometimes that includes holding your child accountable for what they do or in this case don't do. This situation could've been handled much differently and probably should have but that isn't always an option especially when you have a total of 150 seconds to showcase what you and your athletes have been working for all season long.

11. justpeachy

justpeachy I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent

I don't disagree with you at all. I just wish that it hadn't been handled in a manner that hurt my daughter.

12. FamousxMindset

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I cant word this without truly sound like an evil person but when your baby hurts my 25 babies (score/placement wise) something has to change. You have to protect 1 I have to protect 20.

Again this situation should have been handled much differently.

Sometimes I think a lot of cheer parents, in general assume that these coaches are out to get their child when it's the opposite. I know for fact that the coach in question screams for their team's successes just as much as their downfalls. My coaching style is exactly the same, and when I break it down to the parents they are usually able to see where I am coming from and if not I wish them the best in future and will actually refer other programs because I know that my coaching style is not right for every athlete.

13. cheer25mom

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I definitely don't disagree with you. In fact I wish MORE coached held individual athletes accountable for their actions and for doing their job. What I don't agree with here is the mental abuse reportedly heaped on the athlete prior to the removal, and how the removal was handled. It should have happened before they got to Atlanta. Barring that, the coach should have at least had a 30 second conversation with the child AND the parent about it. No coach is so busy they cannot do that. They are making a choice at that point.

As for it being for the good of the other kids. This team was in first place by over 4 points after day one. This one kid not throwing tumbling was obviously not costing the team first place. It could have been handled at home after the fact.

14. cheer25mom

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Can you expand on that? What situation warrants a coach leaving it to team parent? I am truly curious because it is a huge no no in our gym. parents are NEVER involved in situations specifically related to someone else's child.

15. FamousxMindset

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    My comment didn't touch on the alleged mental abuse, and I said the situation on comp day hsould have and could have been handled much differently.

What I got from the post is that this has been a reoccurring issue it wasn't that CP just randomly blocked out of her pass and day 1 and was replaced this was a reoccurring situation. It doesn't matter the point lead as a coach if I have 15 2 to tucks for a section I need to see 15 2 to tucks go when they are supposed to go when little Suzy blocks it changes the entire visual of that section, and omitted passes can be used against you on the score sheet.

As teams prepare for year end events coaches have to put their best 25 kids on the mat and as soon as possible so by the time Worlds/ Summit rolls around it becomes muscle memory.