All-Star Replacing Athletes With New Athletes...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I do not think this is okay. People are quick to criticize athletes who are "gym hoppers" but why would athletes not look out for their best interest when gyms have no problem replacing them? It is one thing if the athlete has an attitude problem, attendance issues or has been slacking off with skills, but to remove an athlete for no reason is not right. I think what is sad too is that sometimes gyms take advantage of athletes who are loyal and they know will stick with a lower leveled team after being demoted. I have heard of a big gym doing something like this so a very talented athlete and I don't think it is right.

i would like to add to my previous statement: if we're talking worlds athletes (and let's face it, when are we not?) if it is passed the magical cut off date, the replaced athlete should be given a release - no ifs, ands or buts.
Amen sister. But we all know this situation can happen and that release be withheld.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

After reading the initial post, it states that the athlete on the team is doing everything right, had not regress in skills since tryouts and basically the coach is contemplating to remove this athlete because Angel Rice moved to town; you want to know if this is right and should the coach be loyal to the first athlete, well as a parent to this athlete, I will say that the gym should not replace an athlete if they are working hard and are performing the needs that placed them on the team. However, I am well aware that the athletes are put on notice that team placement is ongoing after tryout particularly doing the Summer, so if an athlete walks in early before competition season start I will say yes replace then and that replaced athlete can be put on another team without too much pain and agony, but once the competition start I think it is bad faith and blindside that athlete, who spent and put out a lot of money to be on that team, So No Way after the season start!

For the sake of discussion let's assume the current team member has maintained or bettered their skills from tryouts and the newcomer is just a bit better.

Protecting the anonymous since this post

Based on this assumption the current team member keeps the position and the newcomer gets a position on the closest skill level team that has an opening with the opportunity to be an alternate to the higher level team.

My problem comes from threats, don't tell the girls on the team over and over they will be replaced and never replace them. If you are going to say it then do it!

YES, YES, YES! Same goes for rules/threats about poor attendance, being late, missing week of comp, required practice attire, required comp hair/make up, etc. If you aren't going to follow through, don't make it a rule/threat!

This thread makes me uncomfortable in the sense that to some people cheer is all about winning, and I'm sure at the heart of most gyms is a goal to develop kids not just as athletes but as people.

I think where a gym swaps in someone so late in the game such as right before worlds, it just makes it all about winning. Although it's important surely it's not the be all.

This thread makes me uncomfortable in the sense that to some people cheer is all about winning, and I'm sure at the heart of most gyms is a goal to develop kids not just as athletes but as people.

I think where a gym swaps in someone so late in the game such as right before worlds, it just makes it all about winning. Although it's important surely it's not the be all.

Sometimes it isnt about winning but being competitive and if one person is letting the whole team down and not making the effort to putting it right then I think it might be ok

However pulling someone who tries hard and might not tumble but is a amazing stunter or vice versa is not ok. My team did switch positions around, no one got kicked off but some who were not hitting a tumble got it pulled and if we had a flyer who could tumble and the other flyer couldnt we chose to pull the tumbler out to tumble instead and it worked because we were in a crazy large division for nationals and wanted to give it a go or breaking top 5 we made top 3. It is what works for your team and sometimes just a change in positions works

For the sake of discussion let's assume the current team member has maintained or bettered their skills from tryouts and the newcomer is just a bit better.

If this is the case then the gym is taking a huge gamble, because all parents will be taking note if someone slightly better comes along their child may be replaced. I still believe there is more to this than we know, especially if it slight skill level. Maturity? Pot stirrer? Too talkative on social media? Not making corrections? Makes excuses? Overall attitude? Work ethic? I can't imagine any gym taking the risk to switch out an athlete, even on level 5, if they are only a bit better.

If this is the case then the gym is taking a huge gamble, because all parents will be taking note if someone slightly better comes along their child may be replaced. I still believe there is more to this than we know, especially if it slight skill level. Maturity? Pot stirrer? Too talkative on social media? Not making corrections? Makes excuses? Overall attitude? Work ethic? I can't imagine any gym taking the risk to switch out an athlete, even on level 5, if they are only a bit better.
There could be contributing factors such as you mention but if one person gives a slight competitive edge on a team (I'm assuming we are talking about a worlds team) what isore important for winning, skills or attitude?

As always I'm sure there's more to the story, but in that instance, I would do what someone else suggested- offer them nearest possible opening on a level team that has room, and then move them up if the unfortunate happens (injury, someone has to leave due to hardship).

It's one thing if there's a serious loss of skills, complacency, rudeness, etc. But if you start sending the message that your spot isn't safe even IF you're working hard and have even improved, you're opening the door for a VERY dangerous trend.

Tagging @cupieqt @tumbleyoda And @King as I am curious on their thoughts.

Eta @imrichhowaboutyou

I won't replace anyone without a very good reason. If an athlete is pulling their weight, has a good attitude and I never considered removing them until Susie walked in then they'll stay on the team. Susie is welcome to join as an alternate.

I have a couple of rules already in place that help me make decisions like this before they arise. My first rule wouldn't allow for it because it states that the team is closed after choreography camp. We work skills and routine sequences all summer and at the end of the summer we have an entire weekend to put together the routine. At that point I will not add any new members because it throws everything that we just worked on for the last 3 months out of the window. The only exception to the rule is to replace someone who quit or is injured. My athletes do know their spot in the routine is never a given but I will move them before I remove them. I don't ever threaten with "You will be replaced" because it's not true for us.

My second rule would allow for it only on this condition: that the first athlete is not pulling their weight or continuing to progress. All athletes are expected to maintain and advance the skills they have at tryouts. Failure to do so may result in a switch to a lower level team.

Since the original question states the athlete hasn't regressed they would not be in any jeopardy. Even if I were desperate to add Susie to the team I wouldn't be able to simply based on my own rules. I expect my athletes and their parents to uphold their end of the commitment so I hold myself to the same standard. We all agreed on the terms of the contract not just the athletes.

Back