All-Star Reputation In The Community

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I remember a few years ago, I was talking to @mstealtoyou and she couldn't believe that people in Freehold (or in the state in general) didn't know WC. I tried to explain how big Freehold was (township, not borough). Add that to the fact, if you aren't in the sport, the outside world generally doesn't care...until they do.
This exactly! I have such a hard time explaining it haha

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Our l5 teams got a short live segment on a local news channel the weekend before we left for Worlds. We went in and did stunts and other skills while our coach talked about what allstar cheer/Worlds is and how hard we worked to get there. Was fun!

Our gyms get close to zero recognition in the media. There has been a news paper article maybe twice that was only a column or two in the monthly town issue, but that's all. Kids at school know all the major gyms for the most part in our county. Tumble Tech, Top Dog, Cheer Express.. But only because of how many people from my school advertise their gym.

Back a couple years ago when that judge ruled college cheerleading not a sport the local news came and did a little segment on us. I would say it's about a 50/50 shot in talking to someone that they know what Allstars is. In my area "competitive cheerleading" equals "FAME." Like me: "I do competitive cheerleading." Other people: "Oh you mean like Fame?"

Well yes, but just a different program. "Oh so like a different location?" At which point I have to compare it to the two local travel soccer teams, and I'm like "No, it's like Richmond Kickers, and FC Richmond. Same sport, different program"

This brings up something I've always wondered - are there any gyms who regularly send out press releases to local media about their upcoming competitions/results or other events they participate in? For some of the larger gyms, do have a dedicated PR/Community Relations /Marketing person (either staff or parent). If not, is it something your gym has considered?

The Fierce Board App! ||

True,but holy moly today at victoria's secret,my cp was wearing a WC tshirt and one of the girls behind the register got so excited and started a conversation with us about how long it takes to get there from here(min.1 1/2 hrs), and how she has aged out of seniors but is going to tryout for Lazers.

I live in dallas so most people know what it is, but don't necessarily think of it as a sport. and almost every time theres a conversation about allstar you're asked if you go to ca or sot and if you know any of those "famous cheerleaders on instagram" lol

In North Georgia, Or at least in my school, a majority of people cheer at Rays or do school cheer. If you don't cheer at Stingrays or for the school then they really don't know what you're talking about, outside the industry they are completely clueless about cheer and really don't care. I don't think I've ever seen any cheer on the news, except I know some level 5 Rays went to the Macy's christmas parade or something..
In Wisconsin, I know the news did a little segment on Heat Athletics going to compete in Worlds 2013. It was all very positive things about the gym and cheer and I enjoyed it. But when I lived in Wisconsin, I basically didn't know All-Star cheer existed till I moved.. It was all about dance team really.

I live in dallas so most people know what it is, but don't necessarily think of it as a sport. and almost every time theres a conversation about allstar you're asked if you go to ca or sot and if you know any of those "famous cheerleaders on instagram" lol
Yep, I live north of dallas and that exactly how it is. Every time someone ask if I go to ca and sot, and I say no, they think I'm not a good cheerleader or something?! They usually just walk away after that or it gets awkward because they think those are the only gyms in Texas...

People around here are not familiar with allstar cheerleading. Random people always comment to me that my daughter is wasting her skills and should be in dance or gymnastics. Sometimes I try to explain, but usually I just smile and nod.

In North Georgia, Or at least in my school, a majority of people cheer at Rays or do school cheer. If you don't cheer at Stingrays or for the school then they really don't know what you're talking about, outside the industry they are completely clueless about cheer and really don't care. I don't think I've ever seen any cheer on the news, except I know some level 5 Rays went to the Macy's christmas parade or something..
In Wisconsin, I know the news did a little segment on Heat Athletics going to compete in Worlds 2013. It was all very positive things about the gym and cheer and I enjoyed it. But when I lived in Wisconsin, I basically didn't know All-Star cheer existed till I moved.. It was all about dance team really.
if anyone cares to see the heat video here it is! Heat Athletics represents at Cheerleading World Championships | FOX6Now.com

My daughter cheers both AYC and all star. We live in Jersey and I don't remember seeing any press for any of the All Star teams (except for the Twinkles documentary)...but, I must say that the press coverage of youth competitive rec cheer is excellent, especially for our league.

Our small local papers have written articles about local comps and printed our press releases about our teams' successes and events.

The larger papers have been extremely supportive too, especially the Asbury Press. The league consists of 30 something teams from the Jersey Shore area and the APP runs articles practically every week during the season. In the past year, I have seen articles about how rival teams joined together to help each other post Sandy, human interest stories about a cheerleader who is fighting cancer and about two stories featuring our special needs teams. The coverage of the two "big"comps that lead to our National bids was amazing and they even send a photographer to the comps and Nationals in Florida. NJ News has also done television stories about us, but they usually have a human interest side to them.

I know that last season was unusual due to the amazing stories of dedication and support that happened within the Jersey cheer world after the storm, but I think that we will still get a lot of press this year especially when competitions start. Cheer is a way of life down here...and the media knows it.

Back