Retiring All Star Parents

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Don't feel guilty! Allstar cheer is a huge financial and time commitment. As long as you cherish the memories, it's okay to feel all right about being done. My mom and dad were extremely relieved when I retired from allstar cheer even though they enjoyed watching me perform. They just didn't want to me stress out about my tumbling anymore and were happy me to see me go forward with life.

According to cp, we are in it for the long haul so 4 more years on top of the 8 we've already put in. I can assure you, by the time she hits her last mat, I will be feeling relief! It will be time to move on, and I will be looking ahead. I was like this when she finished preschool, elementary school, etc...it was time to go.
However, I DO get sentimental in retrospect. I see the little girls in their tutus going to ballet and it makes me nostalgic for when cp danced. I'm sure if I came across a cheer comp in 10 years I'd get misty eyed as well! But right at the end? Nope, looking ahead! :)

The longer you are out the more you wonder wtf you were thinking for all those years. I kind of regret every doing all star. My cp started cheer because she was momentarily upset about the change in gymnastics scene. If we had pushed through, who knows how far she would have gone. This year she took up drill team and has done amazing...why didn't I invest all that money in dance classes?
So many years of being broke, so many fights with my dh regarding the cost, so many vacations not taken because we couldn't afford to even bring the whole family to a competition.
The first few months to a year are hard but then you visit the site less, cheer mom friends move on because they are still in the thick of it and you find a new hobby.

Thank YOU so MUCH! I'm trying to NOT feel guilty and it's getting better! Next year during NCA, we're going on a cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Next season is cp's last. I remember looking at the practice schedule during NCA week and thinking that in 2 years we can go wherever we want during school vacations. :cheering: No guilt here.

Am I in the minority for feeling guilty about NOT being devastated to be wrapping up our all star cheer parent career?

I felt so bad at first. My daughter retired after her 3rd Summit win last year (10 seasons in Allstar). Worlds was just never going to happen for her and she was getting ready to start high school. It seemed like a good time. It was hard at the beginning seeing her old teammates at the first comps of the season and following them on social media. BUT we used the money we are saving each season and bought a vaca condo on the beach. My CP does miss it, but the endless beach vacas help...along with cheering sideline and comp for school. 10 years and that's a wrap.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what's keeping you retired cheer moms and dads on FB?

Must be a relief watching some of the chaos unfold (scoring discrepancies, uniform blunders, venue discomfort, rising cost etc.) and realising your CP is retired and you never have to deal with any of that ever again (*evil laugh*).

Must be a relief watching some of the chaos unfold (scoring discrepancies, uniform blunders, venue discomfort, rising cost etc.) and realising your CP is retired and you never have to deal with any of that ever again (*evil laugh*).
NOW are the glory years. The years where we can speak our mind finally. LOL

I actually like to see how and what all our old friends are up to as well as the direction of the sport in general. We made a lot of friends and a lot are still on their cheer journey. Im also here bc of the businesses I run that are cheer related. Working on retiring somewhat there now too though. I'm sure curiosity will wear off soon, I'm already here far less than I used to be, but if you do anything for a decade, you need to slowly wean off of it. Haha

I'm an ALMOST retired cheer parent. 3-4 more weeks until Worlds. Annnd We can't say or post squat when your kid is still cheering. I'm anxiously awaiting the day when I can FINALLY speak my mind and opinion FREELY. I've been involved in cheer since WAY before I even had my daughter however I don't see myself following the sport after May 2017 as closely as I have the past 13 years. The act of "unfollowing" many people and accounts is too liberating to put into words!

I've made some good friends in the parent area. Also speaking freely is nice.

I'm an ALMOST retired cheer parent. 3-4 more weeks until Worlds. Annnd We can't say or post squat when your kid is still cheering. I'm anxiously awaiting the day when I can FINALLY speak my mind and opinion FREELY. I've been involved in cheer since WAY before I even had my daughter however I don't see myself following the sport after May 2017 as closely as I have the past 13 years. The act of "unfollowing" many people and accounts is too liberating to put into words!

Omg preach!!! Lol

I will miss friends we have made, but at this point that is about it. I'm burnt out, spent out and over all of the BS. We have had some great experiences that I will be forever thankful for, but I am counting down the years and notsosecretly wishing my kid would just be done all star at the end of this year. And I fully agree that there is sooo much I would love to say, but can't until the day my kid steps off the mat for the last time.

Back