Retiring All Star Parents

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I will miss friends we have made, but at this point that is about it. I'm burnt out, spent out and over all of the BS. We have had some great experiences that I will be forever thankful for, but I am counting down the years and notsosecretly wishing my kid would just be done all star at the end of this year. And I fully agree that there is sooo much I would love to say, but can't until the day my kid steps off the mat for the last time.

You all have NO IDEA how much better you make me feel! :)
I'm no longer feeling alone in my 95% pure joy to be able to see and almost reach the light at the end of the tunnel! I'll admit I cried watching her last performance on her non-Worlds team yesterday. But it was a nice, nostalgic, miss HER being a little girl cry. SO....
THANK YOU!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will miss friends we have made, but at this point that is about it. I'm burnt out, spent out and over all of the BS. We have had some great experiences that I will be forever thankful for, but I am counting down the years and notsosecretly wishing my kid would just be done all star at the end of this year. And I fully agree that there is sooo much I would love to say, but can't until the day my kid steps off the mat for the last time.
There's a SAD theme to all of our replies. That's so unacceptable...esp being that we parents are the ones 'keeping the lights on' so to speak.

You all have NO IDEA how much better you make me feel! :)
I'm no longer feeling alone in my 95% pure joy to be able to see and almost reach the light at the end of the tunnel! I'll admit I cried watching her last performance on her non-Worlds team yesterday. But it was a nice, nostalgic, miss HER being a little girl cry. SO....
THANK YOU!

I cried on Sunday too! Through the whole routine, never taking my eyes off that hard working girl who persevered through this season. I was sad that I won't get to see her perform again because she loves it so much but happy the stuff I hate about it is over.

Out of curiosity, what's keeping you retired cheer moms and dads on FB?

Must be a relief watching some of the chaos unfold (scoring discrepancies, uniform blunders, venue discomfort, rising cost etc.) and realising your CP is retired and you never have to deal with any of that ever again (*evil laugh*).

For me, it's because I've been here since Day 1 and I can't quit that. I signed on to the ProX Boards days before it imploded, then I joined imisstheproxboards.com and Cheer Parents Gone Broke (CPGB). That's where I first met people like MsTeal and Acedad. I now login maybe once a month, more if someone tells me a juicy post has gone up.
I still feel Drill Team and All Star are close cousins, and will continue to campaign for our own little forum area.

For those of you who have been doing this for years, what is it that you hate the most and are ready to be DONE WITH? I may need a heads-up! (My daughter is still young).

For those of you who have been doing this for years, what is it that you hate the most and are ready to be DONE WITH? I may need a heads-up! (My daughter is still young).

The absolute DRAIN on our family....time, money, relationships. The toll it took on my daughter's self esteem...never feeling she was 'good enough', even though she was fantastic. The Coaches who could have cared less that they were working with kids (not all of the Coaches, but some of them)...who looked at the athletes as machines there to do a job, not as young people trying their best to be do well in a sport they love. The fact that those types of coaches took almost all of the joy of the sport away from my child. The list goes on and on I guess....

The only thing I miss about it at all is the traveling I did with my daughter. That one-on-one time was priceless and really helped us build a great relationship.

What I hate THE MOST (the only thing I hate) is that we are NOT allowed to speak our minds or opinions. AT THE GYM or on Social Media. The social media part isn't a big deal because I'm NOT spilling dirty laundry on social media ANYWAY! But to read so many untruths and mean comments that people/kids put out there and be UNABLE to respond or defend or set the record straight has caused me ulcers over 13 years. I JUST came back to this board with 6 weeks left because I can keep it in check for that long(I hope) Biting my tongue at the gym isn't a daily necessity however when it happens it's frustrating beyond words. I don't care WHAT anyone says, if you rock the boat it will affect your child. Whether consciously or not. No gym is PERFECT and I believe 100% we were blessed to be at ours. However, some things could and SHOULD change. Because the things that ARE infuriating are absolutely fixable. You have to choose what is more important to you and I DO NOT think that way when I deal with a BUSINESS! I'm giving them a LOT of money so I see a business. I've NEVER allowed My kid to concern herself with the $ or business aspect of all star cheer so she sees it as 100% FAMILY. Siiigh, I WILL NOT MISS being UNABLE to question things. ALL in all it was worth EVERY PENNY, EVERY MILE, EVERY BITTEN TONGUE and EVERY MINUTE.

The absolute DRAIN on our family....time, money, relationships. The toll it took on my daughter's self esteem...never feeling she was 'good enough', even though she was fantastic. The Coaches who could have cared less that they were working with kids (not all of the Coaches, but some of them)...who looked at the athletes as machines there to do a job, not as young people trying their best to be do well in a sport they love. The fact that those types of coaches took almost all of the joy of the sport away from my child. The list goes on and on I guess....

The only thing I miss about it at all is the traveling I did with my daughter. That one-on-one time was priceless and really helped us build a great relationship.

Wow! I don't think I could have stayed past a season or 2 at a gym like that. Or was it the same at different gyms? Kinda breaks my heart for you both

Wow! I don't think I could have stayed past a season or 2 at a gym like that. Or was it the same at different gyms? Kinda breaks my heart for you both

It was the same gym. She was there for 6 years. It was a slow progression of things that built up over the years. It really wasn't until she quit that I fully realized the impact that it had on her. Sometimes it's very hard to see it as it's going on and you are so invested in it. Parents often excuse the behavior of coaches and that is where I made my biggest mistake...not realizing that what was going on was going on in the name of "winning" was actually having a really negative impact on my child.

She is doing high school cheer now...and while it's much better, mainly because of the social aspect of Friday night games....she still does not have the passion for cheer that she had when she young. It breaks my heart too....

Being a retired cheer parent has been fantastic. Being a retired special needs team coach has been harder.

Being a retired cheer parent has been fantastic. Being a retired special needs team coach has been harder.

Ok it's been almost an entire summer and my kid is leaving for Louisville THIS SUNDAY.
I hit the "[emoji90] just got real" stage of my empty nest and God help me because I miss those kids so much it physically hurts. Not the drive, not the spent money or the silly drama but the KIDS! I'm hoping that seeing them at competitions will cure that ache. [emoji22]

Ok it's been almost an entire summer and my kid is leaving for Louisville THIS SUNDAY.
I hit the "[emoji90] just got real" stage of my empty nest and God help me because I miss those kids so much it physically hurts. Not the drive, not the spent money or the silly drama but the KIDS! I'm hoping that seeing them at competitions will cure that ache. [emoji22]

It'll get better. The extra money each month helps too! [emoji56]

Back