Returning To All Star As An Adult?

Discussion in 'Cheer Newbies' started by megannicole, Oct 21, 2020.

1. megannicole

megannicole I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    I retired from all star cheer quite a while ago due to health/battling cancer. I always longed to return once I was healthy enough, but by the time I got my health back I had also gotten older and a return never happened. I’ve casually watched from the outside as a fan, though there have been times it has been challenging because I have always been heartbroken that I couldn’t get back to something I loved.

I sat next to someone on a flight recently and noticed her cheer keychain on her bag and started up a conversation. She’s around my age and is on an international open team. The idea that I could potentially cheer again has filled me with a bit of hope. We discussed international open teams, cheerabilities, and parent teams.

Has anyone else returned after several years away? I know I would need to spend time working on regaining skills before attempting to join a team; anyone else go through this?

I guess I’m just wondering what steps I would need to take to recondition myself, how to find a gym where I can do this, and if it’s actually possible to return at my age (30 yrs)/after so long out. Maybe it’s just a dream I should give up on?

I recently relocated to the Charlotte, North Carolina area; if returning to cheer in any capacity is possible, this is the area I would be looking for a gym.

2. Lisa Seye

Lisa Seye I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Cheer Athletics Charlotte has an international open non tumbling team called Queencats. Jumps, stunts, pyramid, and dance. No tumbling.

3. megannicole

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Good to know! I saw that CA Charlotte was close to me when I was searching to see what gyms were around. I might have to check them out and see if they would be a good fit.

Thanks!

4. everythingxcheer

everythingxcheer I'm new. Don't Hurt Me

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Athlete

So funny I’m in the same boat!! Wishing the best of luck to you!!

5. megannicole

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Same to you! Have you reached out to any gyms yet?

6. WinstonsGirl

WinstonsGirl I'm an announcer on CBS for Worlds (or should be)

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach / Athlete
    Yes you can. I returned at 25 as there were no gyms where I was living before that, after finishing high school. Be prepared to work a bit harder than the younger kids, but look into the Intl/Open level teams, as they have no age cap. I also tumbled well into my 30's on teams, but there is the non-tumbling option for teams as well, as I found tumbling went first out of all the skills, for obvious reasons. So glad to hear that you're healthy enough again to cheer! Congrats and good luck finding a gym near you

7. megannicole

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    Thank you! It’s reassuring to see that others have come out of retirement successfully as adults. I haven’t tried much tumbling recently, but I’m sure I don’t have my standing full anymore, lol!