Returning To Cheer... Help!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jun 24, 2012
So last summer I was preparing for tryouts for the 2012-2013 season but managed to fracture my sternum and my wrist 2 weeks before tryouts! I have waited patiently all year, going to physiotherapy, working on my stretches, jumps and dances, coaching other teams, looking at my cheer shoes counting down the days until I could tryout again. (Sadly this isn't an exaggeration, I'm not sure whether it's a sign that I need to get a life... But as tryouts approach - I'm trying out for Rising Stars All Girl L5 this year - I'm suddenly terrified of tryouts which has never happened before.

Any help or advice on getting tryout ready? Or just a nice pep talk telling me to man up would be nice. I have severe anxiety and I don't want that to ruin my chances of cheering another year! :(

P.s this is in the international cheer thread as it's an international team I'm trying out for... Sorry if its in the wrong place!

Keep calm and suck it up! :p

JK JK. If you've been prepping for a year, there's really nothing to be concerned about. Take a deep breath and step back for a second. Worst case scenario: you don't make the team. You went a whole year without cheerleading and lived to tell. If this is something you really want, you'll work even harder to make it the next year.

All you can do is your best. Don't let the nerves interfere with what you love to do!

I know how you feel the day before cheersport I dislocated my shoulder doing an double down, so I count compete. After I went to physical therapy it actually made my tumbling better because I forgot all my bad habits... Best of luck ~Maddy

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

So last summer I was preparing for tryouts for the 2012-2013 season but managed to fracture my sternum and my wrist 2 weeks before tryouts! I have waited patiently all year, going to physiotherapy, working on my stretches, jumps and dances, coaching other teams, looking at my cheer shoes counting down the days until I could tryout again. (Sadly this isn't an exaggeration, I'm not sure whether it's a sign that I need to get a life... But as tryouts approach - I'm trying out for Rising Stars All Girl L5 this year - I'm suddenly terrified of tryouts which has never happened before.

Any help or advice on getting tryout ready? Or just a nice pep talk telling me to man up would be nice. I have severe anxiety and I don't want that to ruin my chances of cheering another year! :(

P.s this is in the international cheer thread as it's an international team I'm trying out for... Sorry if its in the wrong place!

I remember your story from before tryouts last year :( I'm so glad you are trying out! If you've managed to go for a year without it and still miss it, you clearly love it :)

If you're still nervous, why don't you email one of the coaches? I know very little about RS, but I'm pretty sure there's a few members on the boards. You could explain your situation and say that you're nervous, then at the very least you'll know one of the coaches when you turn up.

I'm sure you'll do great! Good luck :D

Keep calm and suck it up! :p

JK JK. If you've been prepping for a year, there's really nothing to be concerned about. Take a deep breath and step back for a second. Worst case scenario: you don't make the team. You went a whole year without cheerleading and lived to tell. If this is something you really want, you'll work even harder to make it the next year.

All you can do is your best. Don't let the nerves interfere with what you love to do!

Thank you, haha! I know, I'm trying to look at it like that 'I lasted a year without it, I could last another year' but I've built myself up to getting back into it this year ya know? But you're right really, I shouldn't let it get to me and I should just focus on giving it my best. Thank you!

I know how you feel the day before cheersport I dislocated my shoulder doing an double down, so I count compete. After I went to physical therapy it actually made my tumbling better because I forgot all my bad habits... Best of luck ~Maddy

OUCH! That sounds horrible! I mean fracturing my sternum was painful enough (it still clicks every now and then which can gross some people out haha) but I cant imagine the pain of dislocating my shoulder! I take it you're back into cheer now? Thank you!

I remember your story from before tryouts last year :( I'm so glad you are trying out! If you've managed to go for a year without it and still miss it, you clearly love it :)

If you're still nervous, why don't you email one of the coaches? I know very little about RS, but I'm pretty sure there's a few members on the boards. You could explain your situation and say that you're nervous, then at the very least you'll know one of the coaches when you turn up.

I'm sure you'll do great! Good luck :D

I remembered your username and wondered if you'd remember me haha. But thank you! I definitely do, I think part of that was helped because I got the chance to coach and choreograph while I was out of it but it's nothing major and it's not the same as competing :p

I know there's a few members floating around, I've seen them reply to a few posts and they all seem absolutely lovely, but I'm actually too nervous to message them haha. I have really bad anxiety so I'm kinda scared they'd feel as though I was bothering them to be honest but maybe I'll pluck up the courage! :)

Thank you! :D

I remembered your username and wondered if you'd remember me haha. But thank you! I definitely do, I think part of that was helped because I got the chance to coach and choreograph while I was out of it but it's nothing major and it's not the same as competing :p

I know there's a few members floating around, I've seen them reply to a few posts and they all seem absolutely lovely, but I'm actually too nervous to message them haha. I have really bad anxiety so I'm kinda scared they'd feel as though I was bothering them to be honest but maybe I'll pluck up the courage! :)

No I'm sure they wouldn't have an issue at all! But if not, you could always email someone- that's what an email address is for!

So did you move? Because I seem to remember you were based in London or nearby last year?

No I'm sure they wouldn't have an issue at all! But if not, you could always email someone- that's what an email address is for!

So did you move? Because I seem to remember you were based in London or nearby last year?

Haha I might just do that, :D

Yeah, well... I will have moved by the time the season starts. I'm going to be in Manchester for uni for the next 3 years so moving from London to Manchester and first thing I looked for is a cheer team haha.

Haha I might just do that, :D

Yeah, well... I will have moved by the time the season starts. I'm going to be in Manchester for uni for the next 3 years so moving from London to Manchester and first thing I looked for is a cheer team haha.
I'm beyond jealous that you live in London. It's one of my favorite places. :(

Reactions: Ren
The state of MD in the good ole US of A. Spent 10 days in London and I never wanted to leave.

Ahhh see it's my ultimate goal to live over in the states, but MD was not one of the states that enticed me. :p Haha. You should come back over!

I'm from RS but I'm not involved with the AG5 team, so any general Stars/Manchester/Gym location questions I could help with. There's an event for the actual Ellipse tryouts. Facebook. Also @*Becky*Stars* is one of the coaches as is @leighhhhhhhh so they might know more regarding level 5.

Hi Jade, I'm Leigh & I coach the all girl 5 team at RS.

First please don't be anxious about talking to us!! All the coaches at RS understand that coming to a new gym to tryout will be daunting, especially with injury worries. We want to do anything we can to make you feel comfortable and perform your best at tryouts. Let us know anything we can do to help you! As these tryouts are only for Ellipse, it will be fairly intimate.

Second, please understand that I have personal experience with coming back from serious injury and so sympathise heavily. I broke my ankle in Oct 11 and eventually got back into competing coed 5, but it takes people different amounts of time to get over the mental blocks on skills rather than physical. Knowing you have a previous injury will allow us help assess your confidence with it and we have a fitness coach that may be able to give you exercises to strengthen the area.

I hope this eases your worries slightly! If you have any other questions your welcome to pm me. See you at tryouts!

Back