All-Star Risk Vs Reward From Justin Carrier

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 14, 2009

Risk vs Reward

RISK VS REWARD
By: Justin Carrier

Don't let our industry's focus on the Difficulty Rubric distract you from giving your athletes a SAFE and technically sound opportunity for success. When making decisions about adding or eliminating skills in your routine, ask yourself: Is the risk worth the reward? Meaning-- is the reward of raising the Difficulty score by adding more skills worth the risk of both lowering the Technique score and being hit with point deductions when a tumbling pass touches or a stunt doesn't hit?

YOUR TECHNIQUE SCORE
While maxing out Difficulty and landing in the HIGH sub range in every category may be a coach's goal, be mindful not to forget that Difficulty is only half the battle. The OTHER half—and the half more likely to impact the Final Results --is Technique.
The new layout of Difficulty sub ranges are a great resource for Coaches. As a result, teams are going to start producing consistently HIGH sub range routines.' Difficulty scores will become tighter than ever, leaving the true opportunity for score variance to be left in the hands of Technique. Adding skill elements to raise your Difficulty seems like a no brainer. But if in doing so, your overall technique is compromised or less perfect, you might end up with a NET LOSS in your Final Score. In most cases, the potential points you stand to gain in your Difficulty score is much less severe than the potential points you stand to lose in your Technique score.

CHOREOGRAPHING TO THE SUB RANGE

Another important reminder is that our judges can't credit your team for skills they don't see (i.e. skills that are missed during a performance). With a sub range rubric that hinges on a percentage of your team completing certain skills, then dropping one stunt or touching out of a tumbling pass may be the difference between your team being scored for 'most of the athletes' performing a skill (MEDIUM) versus a 'maximum number of athletes' performing the skill (HIGH). This season, I foresee many routines will strive for the HIGH range in their choreography, only to be placed in the MEDIUM range at competition when they throw skills not yet mastered.

Coaches may continue to ask questions about the 'left side' of the score sheet (i.e. Difficulty) and maxing out that specific score. But, in the end, the winning routines will be the ones who balance the left side with the right side, giving equal--if not more--attention to their skill technique and overall perfection of their routine.

The following is an edited version by Justin of the initial posted article. Posting the edited version here so we don't have to start another thread. :)

RISK VS REWARD
By: Justin Carrier

Don't let our industry's focus on "Difficulty" distract you from giving your athletes a safe and technically sound opportunity for success.When making decisions about adding or eliminating skills in your routine, ask yourself: Is the risk worth the reward? Is the reward of raising the Difficulty score by adding more skills worth the risk of both lowering the Technique score and being hit with point deductions when skills are missed?Point deductions have always motivated teams to be clean. As our score sheet evolves along with the sport, so should our commitment to perfection on the competition floor.

YOUR TECHNIQUE SCORE
While maxing out Difficulty and landing in the HIGH sub-range of every category may be a coach's goal, be mindful that Difficulty is only half the battle.The other half—and the half more likely to impact the Final Score—is Technique.The new layout of Difficulty sub-ranges locks down the left side of the score sheet. The opportunity to outscore the competition will now be in Technique.

Adding skill elements to raise your Difficulty seems like a no-brainer. But if in doing so, your overall technique is compromised or less perfect, you might end up with a NET LOSS in your Final Score.In most cases, the potential points you stand to gain in Difficulty is overshadowed by the potential points you stand to lose in Technique.

CHOREOGRAPHING TO THE SUB-RANGE
Another important reminder is that our judges can't credit your team for skills they don't see (i.e. skills that are missed during a performance). With a sub-range rubric that hinges on a certain percentage of your team completing certain skills, then dropping one stunt or touching out of a tumbling pass may be the difference between your team being scored for 'most of the athletes' performing a skill (MEDIUM) versus a 'maximum number of athletes' performing the skill (HIGH).This season, I foresee many routines will strive for the HIGH range in their choreography, only to be placed in the MEDIUM range at competition when they throw skills not yet mastered.

Coaches may continue to ask questions about the 'left side' of the score sheet (i.e. Difficulty) and maxing out that specific score. But, in the end, the winning routines will be the ones who balance the left side with the right side, giving equal—if not more—attention to their skill technique and overall perfection of their routine.

Please note the most recent updates made to the 2012 - 2013 Varsity All Star scoring system. Based on feedback and real life application of the rubric, minor updates affect just a handful of categories, all of which are noted with bold, italicized font throughout the document. Click HERE to view the updated 2012-

I think this is amazing! Technique is everything in our sport. in correct technique is almost all of the time what causes injury, and it should in fact have this much of an influence!

i mean these aren't ground breaking statements but i'm that justin has reiterated and stressed the point. i hope coaches will really try to incorporate this thinking more and perhaps we can eliminate some injuries.

Back