Roundoff Back Tuck

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

viv

Feb 16, 2016
Hey I'm Viv and I'm new here.

I'm trying out for my high school team in April and am hoping that I will have a shot at varsity. Because our school is a nationally ranked program (took 9th at nationals last week), there are some pretty high requirements for making varsity- one of them being a roundoff tuck. I just got my multiple roundoff back handspring on the hard floor (yesterday haha) and I have my standing back handspring solidly on the hard floor as well.

Can anyone give me an estimate on about how long it will take for me to my roundoff tuck? Or how long it took for you to get your roundoff tuck? I practice 4 times a week (with one of the 4 being a private with the school coach). Any estimate is appreciated! Thanks!

I am quoting the coaches who train my kid here, but we were told to expect about a year from ROBHS to tuck and that RO tuck is the LAST running skill to be taught. Our gym teaches ROBHS tuck first because learning RO tuck first makes it harder to set properly for a tuck out of a BHS. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daughter started working on her RO tuck last summer. It took her about two months until she could do what looked like a RO whip on the tumble track. Now she has been doing a RO layout on the Tumble Track for about 3-4 months. CP learning the layout wasn't intentional. Her body just does it when she is trying to tuck. She progressed to doing them on the floor without a spot a month ago, but she regressed once her coach started trying to turn the layout into a tuck. I think she is going to have a "lightbulb moment" and will figure out what do with her arms and legs soon. Her tuck looks good when she works on it standing. I think CP's gym normally teaches ROBHS tuck first, but they just took a different approach with CP.

You could learn it faster than my CP. Being older may help, CP is only 8. But you should expect it to take at the very least 6 months. If you get it sooner, it will be a great accomplishment.

Good luck!

All tumbling is pretty mental. a girl on my team got her round off tuck in one week and another girl got hers in 3 months. It all really just depends on you and how committed you are to getting a skill, how much ur working on it, mental capability etc.

I am quoting the coaches who train my kid here, but we were told to expect about a year from ROBHS to tuck and that RO tuck is the LAST running skill to be taught. Our gym teaches ROBHS tuck first because learning RO tuck first makes it harder to set properly for a tuck out of a BHS. YMMV.

I have heard this before but I still don't quite understand the reasoning, can anyone break this down a little bit more.

I have heard this before but I still don't quite understand the reasoning, can anyone break this down a little bit more.
Again, repeating what I have been told:
When snapping down from a skill leading into a tuck an athlete should snap with feet a little behind them to achieve a vertical set for the tuck. This is much easier to do out of a round off than out of a BHS because when leading series BHS athletes must snap through so that feet land in front of them. It's easier to get the tuck over from a poor set with the round off.

Last edited:
When snapping down from a skill leading into a tuck an athlete should snap with feet a little behind them to achieve a vertical set for the tuck. This is much easier to do out of a round off than our of a BHS because when leading series BHS athletes much snap through so that feet land in front of them. It's easier to get the tuck over from a poor set with the round off.

Winner winner chicken dinner!

It is more than just the physics of these particular skills, though. It's the psychology of it all, and the idea that you don't want that tuck to be the highest tumbling you ever have. In order to progress in tumbling (both standing and running), it is useful for an athlete to be able to build momentum and power with additional BHS. If you take a kid who has a mediocre RO BHS BHS and let her progress directly to a RO tuck, because she is able to get the body shape entry and block into the set for the tuck correct from a round off, but maybe cannot do the same from a BHS, she may be able to complete the tuck. But then, she's "got her tuck" and doesn't want to "go back" to perfect RO multiple BHS or RO BHS with proper body shape/block for following airborne skills because that feels like a step backwards. You really CAN gain much more power with properly executed additional BHS; kids who skip this step can find themselves in the position of feeling like they are so much less effective out of a BHS than a RO and will beg to skip all BHS entries into skills (tough when a jump-BHS (or multiple BHS)-airborne skill is a requirement for level 4 standing tumbling), or even feel like they have a "BHS mental block" and just altogether stop performing them.

This obviously is not the case with all athletes; this is the rationale that the gyms I've belonged to have used as keeping the vast majority of athletes on this particular RO-BHS-tuck-before-RO-tuck progression track.

When snapping down from a skill leading into a tuck an athlete should snap with feet a little behind them to achieve a vertical set for the tuck. This is much easier to do out of a round off than out of a BHS because when leading series BHS athletes must snap through so that feet land in front of them. It's easier to get the tuck over from a poor set with the round off.

That makes a lot of sense.

I do a weird back tuck. I reach my arms all the way up to the ceiling then when I land it my hands don't touch my legs.

If you have had a round off handspring for a while it shouldnt take that long! practice doing round off rebounds ontoa high mat to practice jumping off the ground higher! If you practice 4 times a week you should have it in no time! try having a coach spot you the first couple of times until you are used to it! remember to set! arms up then feet up!!! good luck :)

Back