All-Star Ruby Slipper Full Up Grip

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I taught my kids how to do it as well. They're having a hard time catching on, but it's definitely going better then the traditional method.

Whats the 1.5 grip for Ruby Slipper? I cant quite see it from the video. I know the full up grip if its easier to explain.

Sorry to bring an old thread up again, but my squad just started working on the ruby slipper to half and it's hitting and has been working well. Any tips to take it to full and to lib? How high should the flyer be before the spin is initiated?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to bring an old thread up again, but my squad just started working on the ruby slipper to half and it's hitting and has been working well. Any tips to take it to full and to lib? How high should the flyer be before the spin is initiated?

Flyer should be up above the head before the spin happens. Bases need to drive up first and then twist at the top. Flyers shouldn't be really initiating the twist themselves with the ruby slipper. The bases more 'unwind' her if that makes sense. If the flyer tries to spin herself you tend to lose control and it doesn't hit.

Flyer should be up above the head before the spin happens. Bases need to drive up first and then twist at the top. Flyers shouldn't be really initiating the twist themselves with the ruby slipper. The bases more 'unwind' her if that makes sense. If the flyer tries to spin herself you tend to lose control and it doesn't hit.
Thank you for your help! [emoji4]

I originally learned to do full/half ups right over left legs to fly. We would spin left in full/double downs. Then I switched gyms and learned to spin right up. We spinned left to come down. I knew how to base both right over left hands in full ups and left over right hands in full ups at this point. Then my gym decided to to learn the ruby slipper grip. This was a hard transition and even harder when the gym I am at now does a left over right hand grip. I think right over left is the easiest grip but that is what I first learned.

It bothers me that the old grip & the ruby slipper grip score the same. I've seen flyers with zero body control hit full ups using the crossed legs grip. The old grip is significantly more difficult IMO. It basically forces flyers & bases to use technique.

In general, I guess it is a little nice to see more teams hitting at comps, rather then trying difficult elements with poor execution.
It is much easier to hit the ruby slipper full ups (the grip can be a little confusing the first couple of times), I don't really mind when i see level 3&4 using the grip.

I think the Ruby Slipper grip is ideal for all-star, but I would prefer to see the traditional grip used for scholastic teams. RS is okay if they are struggling and can't hit.

I think the Ruby Slipper grip is ideal for all-star, but I would prefer to see the traditional grip used for scholastic teams. RS is okay if they are struggling and can't hit.
I agree and also it is perfect for the younger age squads. This year I am coaching Jr. Rec (3&4th graders) and they are using this grip for their fullups in their elite stunt sequence, but then the regular full up grip in the pryamid

have we found an explanation for double ups / 1.5 ups into one leg stunts yet? I'd be fine with two legs too though

It bothers me that the old grip & the ruby slipper grip score the same. I've seen flyers with zero body control hit full ups using the crossed legs grip. The old grip is significantly more difficult IMO. It basically forces flyers & bases to use technique.

In general, I guess it is a little nice to see more teams hitting at comps, rather then trying difficult elements with poor execution.
It is much easier to hit the ruby slipper full ups (the grip can be a little confusing the first couple of times), I don't really mind when i see level 3&4 using the grip.
It doesn't matter what the grip is the twist is determined on the flyers hips for All-Star. Some high school & college competitions specify differences. So if a team chooses to do a more difficult grip that scores the same as an easier grip I'd like to see the score higher for the easier grip bc it's simply a smarter decision.

I've been working with our new all girl team on this full grip and they've been getting to a point, where they are hitting it quite nicely to an extended two legs position. I'm now having the side base try and grip the main bases (right) wrist with her left hand instead of the flyer's foot.
My idea is that it should then be easier for the flyer to go to immediate one legged bodypositions. The flyers left foot only kind of turns on top of the side base's right hand before the base tightens her grip again. So theoretically that would be the moment for the flyer to pull out of the side base's hand and for the base to grab the main foot.

We'll see if that works out. ;)

Hey !

Does anyone have a video on how to really place the hands in the ruby slipper grip ?
I'm in France and have to access to clinics like some of you :(

Back