All-Star Ruby Slipper Full Up Grip

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Ok ya'll, I need to bump this thread. My team is doing ruby slipper full up grips this year and I had all three of them hitting in the beginning of the season and now magically all of a sudden, they are not.

It appears as though the bases are spinning and losing the foot and also the flyers are pointing their toes and its hard for the bases to hold on.

I have a video but I would have to send it via facebook.

Any help is appreciated !

So we did it tonight for my youth 3 team for full up to two-foot elevator. All but one group hit and that group was close.

Main starts where secondary usually is. Secondary starts in back. Back starts in main base spot. Just like the photo in the thread.

Main grabs toe of right foot on the outside with right hand (so thumb is by the toes and pinky is towards the middle of the foot)... this is the foot they hold on to the whole time. Then they grab toe of left foot with left hand... this is the foot they toss.

Secondary grabs heel of left foot with right hand, they have to reach around the right foot and make sure their arm is under everyone else's so they don't get tangled. Their left hand is tossing butt/thigh, like the backspot normally does.

Backspot grabs left ankle with left hand and then reaches around and grabs right ankle with right hand. This helped my team a ton! The backspot held the hold time and was able to lift and help with the spin.

While doing all of this everyone steps towards their normal stunting positions.

My team who struggles with stunting liked this way much better once they got their brains wrapped around it. The group that struggled were trying to spin it right away. The two groups that hit it the fastest were the groups where the flyer pushed off the bases, stood tall, and were super tight.

I hope that helps some!

When you say spin right away.. what do you mean?
and How did you fix it ? when do the bases start initiating the spin ?

When you say spin right away.. what do you mean?
and How did you fix it ? when do the bases start initiating the spin ?
It shouldn't spin until the flyer is at the bases forehead at least. ruby slipper for full ups and 1 1/2 ups won't work if the bases start to twist anywhere below their head. It should twist above the head during the few seconds where the flyer is "weightless" and then either continue to press through to extension or settle back to prep

Let the bases initiate the spin. Flyers mainly need to pull up and squeeze. If they're a slow spinner, ask them to think about spinning 1/4. The flyer may be trying to spin too much, which rips their feet out of the bases hands

I took everyones suggestions and they hit flawlessly by themselves... add music, counts, and the rest of the stunt and they fell to the ground..

I took everyones suggestions and they hit flawlessly by themselves... add music, counts, and the rest of the stunt and they fell to the ground..
Tell them they have three chances to hit or it's getting pulled. Always worked for whatever team I was a part of.

Make sure they're taking it 1 thing at a time. If they can hit flawlessly as a single stunt, but not as a sequence then they're rushing and not focusing. Make sure they aren't getting flustered by the whole sequence and remind them not to worry about what is next and just focus on what they're doing on the current count.

Back